culling

Help Support CattleToday:

E in PA

Reaction score
ok, another newbie question. but first let me say thanks for all the responses to my last post, especially to hillsdown for the TAMU website. my question is about culling heifers, is a runt always gonna be a runt or are there late bloomers. one calf i bought was bottle fed since its mom(1st calf heifer) wouldn't take care of it. bought it anyways thinking i'd eat her if she didn't catch up to the others, question is how would long should i give her? she eats good and it isn"t a financial burden to feed her. she's 10 months old now and came from good stock. wouldn't mind giving her a shot but me thinks she might be a "stubby". any and all comments, thoughts and suggestions welcome. great website.

i do not know how much she wieghs right now, we've had bitter cold weather for here for about a week, didnt want to stress them in this cold. am going to try weigh this weekend. angus. free feed them hay. she gets about 4lbs of 14% protein pellets a day.

She should catch up with nay others that have the same potential size by the time she's 2, 3 at the most. Just keep the quality and adequate feed going into her.

Latest posts