Dehorning questions

Help Support CattleToday:

I really want to get a hot iron for after.
I remember the last ones I had the vet do for me couple years ago. Seemed to not bleed near as much.
This bull calfs horn base was very large. Could not get as close to the head as I'd a liked. It'll still be better tho. Especially come this fall when I sell him!!
He was also VERY well endowed. Had to borrow my buddies BIG bander. Should've taken a pic or two of that.
I really like the Moore Maker cutters. Had this calf been done when he should've been done, his head would have looked much nicer.
I'll get a few pics later when the calves ain't all red. This one and the one behind him are gonna make good de-horned steers. Fly tags in both ears too. Fly season is started here.
View attachment 44864
View attachment 44865View attachment 44870View attachment 44866

thanks for posting...i have never dehorned cattle but have 2 cows/fine producing cows, 5 year old cows, that need it...they are decently tame...any recomendiations on tools i need..have a head gate and know it will be fun/not....thanks for any info....wish i could spell..i used to could

thanks for posting...i have never dehorned cattle but have 2 cows/fine producing cows, 5 year old cows, that need it...they are decently tame...any recomendiations on tools i need..have a head gate and know it will be fun/not....thanks for any info....wish i could spell..i used to could
Ideally it's best to do over the fall/winter when flies are not a problem.

It's funny, I bought these fancy cutters, and while I was working these calves I noticed TWO sets of tree pruners hanging above the work bench. They looked like they had seen plenty of use. Ive seen what pruners do to trees. I prefer the proper de-horning tools.

A good blood stop powder applied afterwards is a must. These 2 had pretty much quit bleeding by the time they were unloaded about 12 miles away. After the blood stop/coagulant.

Pictures? I wouldn't do a full dehorn on mature cows.
Tie a piece of inter tube as tight as you can around the base of their horns around their poll. Use a reciprocating saw, OB saw wire, or a hacksaw and cut them off about ear length.
Take the inter tube off the next day.

I could start a photo album with all my botched dehorning jobs. 😄 They are like snowflakes, there are no two the same. It's almost become a game to see how the horns will grow after I dehorn them.

Last year I decided I'm just going to start tipping them when they get some size like Murry's bull so they get those stubs on each side. Give them that rowdy look. 🤣

If you cut them off there is a vein that usually spurts blood, and you can use a needle nose pliers to go down into it and get ahold, and stretch it out until it breaks down inside. That solves the problem of most of the bleeding. There will still be seepage but not like an arterial gusher...

@Travlr
Need a face shield, apron and gloves.
And prepare to get covered in it. 🤣

I watched my vet do that too. He got the one side alright. By the time he got to the other side to get that bleeder he had enough and let that side go....
Even with nose tongs and a helper, those calves still wiggle and squirt everywhere.

cant get video to play..but looks like what i would like to know about dehorning...thanks
That just picture of putting a square cut rubber band on the horn base. I've never done it, but I've heard people have some kind of success with it.
Takes a while for the horn to fall off. But it's supposed to work as long as the band stay put...

@gcreekrch how long did it take for them to disappear?

@Brute 23 if ya tip em at a downward angle they look even "kooler"

That just picture of putting a square cut rubber band on the horn base. I've never done it, but I've heard people have some kind of success with it.
Takes a while for the horn to fall off. But it's supposed to work as long as the band stay put...

@gcreekrch how long did it take for them to disappear?

@Brute 23 if ya tip em at a downward angle they look even "kooler"
You are right, only a screen shot of a video showing the tool in use.
The bands worked 100% as compared to limited success using the green cheerios a few times before. We put them on 6 mature cows that went from a full set of hookers to botched dehorn jobs we had purchased. All were off within 4 weeks. Used them on several yearlings with same success. All of them moped around for a day or two until the initial bother went away and never looked back after that,

Used some square shouldered band this spring to dehorn several mature cows and a few yearlings. Won't be going back to cutting the big ones.
Who makes the square shouldered bands? Dont think i ever seen any. For years i bought bargains because they had horns and dehorned them. I have gotten weaker and it wears me out to use the wire to saw them off.

Who makes the square shouldered bands? Dont think i ever seen any. For years i bought bargains because they had horns and dehorned them. I have gotten weaker and it wears me out to use the wire to saw them off.
That's why I suggested a reciprocating saw. I used to use saw wire but it's a workout. Sawzall is pretty quick.

Just called XL Bander Kenny. Way easier on shoulders than OB wire.View attachment 44993View attachment 44994
Those look like some serious bands.

I bought some sheep last Monday and two were still rams. So I whipped out my bander and was worried about the cheerios since I've had them for years. I'd gone by the local IFA to get fresh ones but they were sold out. But I didn't realize that the bands are not the old rubber ones that deteriorate and crack/break, they are latex. They seemed okay, so I used them. The nuts were so large I had to work them into the band one at a time. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Latest posts