Didn't Jump the Gun

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts

Reaction score
We have a customer that is wanting to lease a bull from us. In February, we did a BSE on all of our bulls, and the bull we had for them to lease tested the best out of all our bulls. Fast forward to last week so we could test this one again and get trich tested, and he did not have a single drop of semen. We tried 3 different times to get a sample out of him.

I had another bull in a field that I could send this customer, but had to get him in. Got him in and set up appointment for this week. I decided to give the older bull one last shot, and if he didn't pass, his butt was loading up right from the chute (after all, the bull did get EVERY cow he was with bred last year). First try, this dang SOB ended up shooting a 95% for us! Sure made me happy that I decided to give him another chance. On one hand, I was anticipating shipping him, but on the other, I knew how potent he was not 3 months ago, and he had not been with any cows or bulls to fight.

Had my favorite bull tested last week. I was having calves born from him every week, I just wanted to have him tested because I like to do so once per year or so. I took him to the new, local, female veterinarian that just opened. He came back "No Good", 84% dead cells. I couldn't believe it. I was devastated, so I took him 80 miles away, to the vet I have trusted for many years. He came back 94% good cells. Opinion: some vets don't know what the heck they are doing. Fact: ONE of the two vets didn't know what the heck he/she was doing.

Latest posts