do I let her ride or not??

Help Support CattleToday:

sweetyp

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to change riders when training a horse?? I'm training a gelding, he's quit inteligent and It's going well. The main problem with him was that he had got so used to only his owner being in charge that he was areal pain for any else. He's chucked two other people (though they were green riders and should never have been put on this horse) I've been working on this horse for about a month and he's responding realing well, I was just wondering if I should put his owner back on him. I don't want him to get used to just me as the owner wants to be able to ride him to. He listen really well now and I don't think he'll be a big problem but I don't want it to be a case of one step forward two steps back. I thought that If I do it now and just continue doing it evrey now and then that he will get used to being riden by oithers. HIs owner is a good rider and can control him and a I'm not worried about him chucking her it is just that as I've got so far with him I don't want to then confuse him. Any advice?
The owner trust me totaly with whatever I decided, she's given me full control on his training so she'll go along with whatever I decide. So theres no problem there.
By the way when I'm training him he can't wait to get back to
her, he's getting better but she's definatly his comfort zone.

A couple of things to consider:

-riding with her (both on the horse) so the horse knows what's going on.

-letting her ride by herself, with you riding another horse alongside.

Both would allow you control and give her time with the horse.

if yall's handling technics are about the same might not be much of a problem.its training a green horse for a certain event that i wouldnt want multiple riders on.

If this horse has been ridden by his owner before and his owner allowed him to get away with stuff, pick up bad habits, etc., the horse will attempt to resume those habits simply because he knows he can. If this is the case, you might want to consider working with the owner while he/she is riding the horse to help alleviate this. Same thing if the owner is new, unsure, inexperienced, etc. Otherwise, I can't see a problem with the owner riding the horse. You will know the next time you get on him if it was a good idea or not. Just my thoughts.

I would put 90 days on the horse with no other riders, than go with owner and horse under your training (lessons) for 30 days.

JMO,
Alan

Should have said to put 90 days on yourself so the horse is less likely to fall back into old habits.

Alan

My suggestion would be to work with the owner on how to handle the horse. Watch how they interact. Make suggestions how he/she should handle certain situations.

When I sent my horse off to a trainer, the best thing he did for me was to "train" me too. :cboy:

Alan":6um90mhf said:
Should have said to put 90 days on yourself so the horse is less likely to fall back into old habits.

Alan

If this is a very young horse, possibly. Older horse, unlikely it will make a difference - especially if the owner has been riding it for any length of time. Even your average intelligence horse is smart enough to know what they can get away with and with whom.

msscamp":1ni7t265 said:
Alan":1ni7t265 said:

Alan

If this is a very young horse, possibly. Older horse, unlikely it will make a difference - especially if the owner has been riding it for any length of time. Even your average intelligence horse is smart enough to know what they can get away with and with whom.

True, but judging from sweetyp other posts, it sound like this is the type of horse that will wage a few "battles". These "battles" should be handled by one person who can win them all (the trainer). In my opinion one person should only ride the horse until the battles are won and the trainer knows where the buttons are and how to push them. Then they can put the novice rider on and work with both together. I believe this horse has already put two people on the ground.

If the trainer has a horse who seems to be doing well, knows what to do and is willing to do it, then you can be pretty sure that any problems being caused is by the novice rider. In this case I would put the rider on and work with both horse and rider.

JMO,
Alan

Sweetyp,

Is this the same horse that ran at you when you lounged her?

Alan

Alan":39vrplir said:
msscamp":39vrplir said:
Alan":39vrplir said:

Alan

True, but judging from sweetyp other posts, it sound like this is the type of horse that will wage a few "battles". These "battles" should be handled by one person who can win them all (the trainer). In my opinion one person should only ride the horse until the battles are won and the trainer knows where the buttons are and how to push them. Then they can put the novice rider on and work with both together. I believe this horse has already put two people on the ground.

If the trainer has a horse who seems to be doing well, knows what to do and is willing to do it, then you can be pretty sure that any problems being caused is by the novice rider. In this case I would put the rider on and work with both horse and rider.

JMO,
Alan

All valid points. I completely agree that Sweetyp needs to work with the owner and the horse from the sounds of things.

no this is not the horse who run at me when I lounged her. It's not that the owner is a bad rider but when she got this horse the owner was still learning how to train and she's made some silly mistakes but she's a good rider. she made mistakes with how she was trying to teach him not how she rode. she gets better everyday and she comes to watch me work the horses and I explain everything that I do so that she wont make the same mistakes as last time. the main problem was that she was scared to turn the horse against her by being to strict and it went the other way. but I've now showed her how to be in charge without being nasty. It's the whole respect and fear thing that she was worried about mucking up. lack of confidence also went against her as the gelding in question is very smart and sense it straight away and toke advantage.

the horse is about 5 years old but has a nice nature and is taking well to the traning