East Texas hay

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm":38a1joca said:
Always been told 1 roll per cow per month I've let pasture stock pile pretty good hoping I can get a lot more grazing time before I have to rely just on hay also
Have wheat and rye grass on the way
Yeah I have 5 heifers 3 preg cows right now

45 dollar last year tifton hay or I can get 65 dollar second cutting of coastal and bahi? I'm going to look at the last year tifton today to see how it is what would you guys do?

Bfields30":1glhlvvk said:
45 dollar last year tifton hay or I can get 65 dollar second cutting of coastal and bahi? I'm going to look at the last year tifton today to see how it is what would you guys do?

You can supply a cows nutrition needs on three pounds of feed a day. Now you need another 27 lbs to fill her up.
If the last year is good nothing wrong with it. I will be feeding last year's hay.
Penciling cows out on 65 dollar hay is getting close to operating in the red.
You will have 260 bucks a cow inputs on hay alone.
Is that for 4x5 rolls?

Caustic Burno":1vhv9z1o said:
Bfields30":1vhv9z1o said:

You can supply a cows nutrition needs on three pounds of feed a day. Now you need another 27 lbs to fill her up.
If the last year is good nothing wrong with it. I will be feeding last year's hay.
Penciling cows out on 65 dollar hay is getting close to operating in the red.
You will have 260 bucks a cow inputs on hay alone.
Is that for 4x5 rolls?
yes 4x5

Caustic Burno":38lfvy10 said:
Wow that is scalping prices.
Neighbor bought good fertilized hay last week from my Hay man.
He paid fifty a roll delivered.
I found another guy in my town got hold of told me these were his prices I have Johnson Grass mix at my shop for $60
I have clean fertilized large coastal at my shop for $80
I have some 2nd cutting mix at my house in Pineview at $50
I have a place that should be ready in the next week or so that's mixed grass at $58 on 852

Bfields30":192inxpb said:
Caustic Burno":192inxpb said:
Wow that is scalping prices.
Neighbor bought good fertilized hay last week from my Hay man.
He paid fifty a roll delivered.
I found another guy in my town got hold of told me these were his prices I have Johnson Grass mix at my shop for $60
I have clean fertilized large coastal at my shop for $80
I have some 2nd cutting mix at my house in Pineview at $50 these are 5x6
I have a place that should be ready in the next week or so that's mixed grass at $58 on 852

Hay is definitely high in this area this year. From what I've seen $50 will get you some pretty sorry hay and $85-90 will get top quality hay. If you're not worried about your pastures and feeding in rings just go with the cheaper hay and feed commodity mix for protien. The real kicker is that killer cows are only bring 25 cents so your screwed either way.

Lucky":144odyjk said:
Hay is definitely high in this area this year. From what I've seen $50 will get you some pretty sorry hay and $85-90 will get top quality hay. If you're not worried about your pastures and feeding in rings just go with the cheaper hay and feed commodity mix for protien. The real kicker is that killer cows are only bring 25 cents so your screwed either way.

Lucky":ytavyzjk said:

It would pay pretty quick to haul to Crockett at those prices. Kill cows still @ .50 to.60 slaughter bulls .68 to .75.

Bfields30":70l5z67x said:
True Grit Farms":70l5z67x said:
Sell cows a those prices.
Lol so you wouldn't get any
You gotta do what you gotta do, but dang those are high prices for hay. I buy the best and biggest rolls of hay around here for $60 a roll. The guy that won the Georgia hay contest sells hay a little cheaper yet. I'd be getting the hay tested before I bought. LA and MS is loaded down with hay if you have a good trailer.

Latest posts