EPD experts please come inside..

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
This is a bull Im currently looking at, any opinions? I have been in search for a nice registered bull for 14 heifers(just getting started and would like to start off on the right foot.) Any insight anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Also what would a bull with similar numbers usually bring $$$?

http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl ... 46415E4D43

Jake, thanks for the reply. As you can probably tell im very green when it comes to this hobby, hopefully I can become well informed especially now that I have discoverd this board. I currently have registered black angus and would like to stay that way. I have been in search of a nice bull both in numbers and eye appeal but cant seem to find much. Once again, thanks for you opinion.. :)

SSS, do you have registered heifers? or are they just grade cattle? Depending on their bloodlines they may be ok to breed to bull

SSS Angus":1ozbu0s7 said:
Jake, Yes all of our cattle are registred therefor the reason for looking for a registered bull.

The reason he asked is because some commercial breeders like to run registered bulls on their commercial cows. Now, no one yell at me here....but the EPD's and the known parentage gives the commercial guy numbers to go on. BW CE etc. Maybe a sence of security.

certherfbeef":39wpuppe said:
SSS Angus":39wpuppe said:
Jake, Yes all of our cattle are registred therefor the reason for looking for a registered bull.

The reason he asked is because some commercial breeders like to run registered bulls on their commercial cows. Now, no one yell at me here....but the EPD's and the known parentage gives the commercial guy numbers to go on. BW CE etc. Maybe a sence of security.
I understand that, I was just letting him know that my current stock is registered so that was why I'm in the market for a registered bull. :D

could you please send the registration numbers for the heifers and I'll tell you whether or not I would say it is a safe breeding?

SSS,

I think Jake has it right in matching the bull to the heifers. Along with the heifer registrations, if you have any specific traits you care about more than others (BW, WW, YW, Milk,etc.) that would be good for him to know too.

Like you, I just recently got started in the reg. Angus business. Several people I have spoken with (some on the board as well) posed this question in one form or the other: "What is your herd goal/objectives?" This was a really good question and caused me to give serious thought to what I wanted to accomplish with my herd. As a result of answering this question for myself, I chose to go the A.I. route since my herd was not all "EPD balanced/uniformed" and no one bull could produce the traits I was after paired with all cows.

Not sure when you are planning to get the bull, or when the heifers will be ready to breed, but you may want to give some consideration to calving season if you haven't. My past experience suggests summer calves have a tough time in Texas.

As always, your mileage my vary.

Good Luck!

Latest posts