eShepherd for Pastured Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView said:
Just heard about this last week, it sounds pretty remarkable! Can't wait to hear what everybody on here thinks!

Waste of money as long as the state law remains the same on the definition of sufficient fence.
I don't see it working to contain bulls either currently 5 strands of barb wire with 3 strands electric running 16k volts gets tested.

Might be reasonable if you have a couple head, but the price on a larger herd would quickly become prohibitive.

Will the price drop? Sure it will.. but I don't know if it'll drop to the point it's cost effective.. I know my cattle would demolish those neck straps in a year or two.

I visited a farm recently that employs this technology sans the containment feature. He knows when his cattle are grazing, resting, coming into heat, and even in distress. Pretty darn neat to know what's going on in your herd from your easy chair.

I would not necessarily discount this product immediately. Many of our cattle are very docile and will behave themselves with one strand of electric and a small electric box. I can see this working with calm, older cows.

However, my thoughts would tend to agree with Caustic in a way when it relates to bulls, especially young bulls with raging hormones. You need some serious electric to keep them contained. They smell a cow or heifer in heat and they will do whatever it takes to get out of their lot.

Nesikep said:
Might be reasonable if you have a couple head, but the price on a larger herd would quickly become prohibitive.

Will the price drop? Sure it will.. but I don't know if it'll drop to the point it's cost effective.. I know my cattle would demolish those neck straps in a year or two.

You might be surprised on the neck straps. Our gals have absolutely punished the daylights out of the neck straps and we have never had one break. We have Osage trees, Hickory, Oaks, Walnuts, and they scratch like crazy on them, but they don't come apart. They are VERY thick, imagine about 5 or 6 seatbelt straps put together, that's how strong they are.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I visited a farm recently that employs this technology sans the containment feature. He knows when his cattle are grazing, resting, coming into heat, and even in distress. Pretty darn neat to know what's going on in your herd from your easy chair.

I can think of many careers that involve sitting in chairs with less risk and more money... Watching the cows is the one thing that I enjoy.

Nesikep said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I can think of many careers that involve sitting in chairs with less risk and more money... Watching the cows is the one thing that I enjoy.

Me too! :clap:

This is very similar to invisible fencing for dogs. (that is how Randy Boyd got rich Tennessee Tuxedo). I can see it working, but it will have to be a big jolt to turn back a determined bull.

I looked it up and the cost is about $300 per collar. But, the price will drop quickly. I would be pretty sweet to sit at home and monitor every cow without driving back in the field on a cold wet day.

I'm imagining strip grazing or that sort of thing where you don't have to hang a lot of wire but you can gently move them around a pasture without a lot of hassle. perimeter fence would still be as now and major cross fences as well, but to be able to take a pasture and configure it into smaller paddocks at will and with total flexibility would be fantastic!

Latest posts