Facebook Banned Sale of Animals

Help Support CattleToday:

Bk I think I boils down to your dealing with a commodity. Cattle are what beef is worth. I understand seedstock producers , breeding to increase the amount of red meat there is to four hooves. But do you really think you are going to sell replacement animals on a small scale(no offense ).
If I'm going to pay top dollar for replacement cattle, I'm going to do it from a outfit that has enough animals to cull some. I'm sorry but someone with a handful, ai ing to this bull and that thinks every calf that hits the ground is worth threex what it is.
If you can make a dollar that's great. But I bet it's hippies and beatniks following the fad. Not cattle men . And that's fine, we made some money in the 90s.....building pipe fence for ostriches

callmefence":r847yrgd said:
Bk I think I boils down to your dealing with a commodity. Cattle are what beef is worth. I understand seedstock producers , breeding to increase the amount of red meat there is to four hooves. But do you really think you are going to sell replacement animals on a small scale(no offense ).
If I'm going to pay top dollar for replacement cattle, I'm going to do it from a outfit that has enough animals to cull some. I'm sorry but someone with a handful, ai ing to this bull and that thinks every calf that hits the ground is worth threex what it is.
If you can make a dollar that's great. But I bet it's hippies and beatniks following the fad. Not cattle men . And that's fine, we made some money in the 90s.....building pipe fence for ostriches
Not offended. Thanks Fence. I will let you know how it goes. So far so good.

Retaining each and every "perfectly good replacement heifer" is an economically destructive and unsustainable practice. Not the importation of hamburger but too many cows in production is the reason for downtrending feeder cattle prices over the last two years.

If I have grass I want animals on it, but let me close with this. I have a big mistrust of the cattle auctions around here. After the local auction sent the hiefers I won to the feedlot after they were paid for the only thing that goes there are culls. The wink wink between the guys on the front row and the bid caller dont amuse me. At another auction one guy I sat next to tried to bid twice on cows and they completlely ingnored him. Heck he was waving his hands and they still didnt even acknowlege him. The owner had the auctionier call him and apologize after he complained. If a cow doesnt sell privately on my place for the price I want, no big deal. I can sit on them and pop out babies until the time comes that I really need to. That wont be for years. For now, auctions are my last stop for retainable cattle.

ga.prime":3eg9sve4 said:
Retaining each and every "perfectly good replacement heifer" is an economically destructive and unsustainable practice. Not the importation of hamburger but too many cows in production is the reason for downtrending feeder cattle prices over the last two years.

Yeah. Going a little of topic. I kept heifers when they where sky high. Got enough for my steers and culls to be happy. Now I'm selling every calf born to get enough . so I kept em when I could have got the most. Now I'm selling them for much less :dunce:
Next time I'll know better. :?:

ga.prime":114mblgs said:
Yes GA prime it can hurt, but not so much a small guy like me selling 10-15 head a year. So let me say my company watches the commodity market on beef. What we pay in the restuarant is close to the same now as to what we paid 2 years ago. Who is making the money. Shady deals like this are what hurt more. Read below.

Open Letter to U.S. Cattle Producers

September 2016

Dear Cattle Producing Friend,

What does the rest of 2016 have in store for your U.S. cattle industry? The answer is up to us.

After 18 years of herd liquidation that started in 1996, cattle inventories fell to a 73-year low while over 171,000 beef cattle producers and 84,000 independent cattle feeders exited our industry. When the dust finally settled U.S. beef production fell to the lowest level in two decades. Responding to this incredible shortage of beef and cattle, prices for your cattle in 2014 climbed to the highest nominal levels in our history.

Amidst all of this, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA), which represents large multinational meatpackers: Tyson, Cargill, JBS and National Beef, told a U.S. federal court that U.S. cattle producers don't want their beef labeled with a USA country of origin label.

The NCBA said: "beef is beef, whether the cattle were born in Montana, Manitoba, or Mazatlán." The NCBA claims there is no difference between beef produced from U.S. cattle and beef produced from Canadian or Mexican cattle. According to them, beef produced from cattle sourced from anywhere in the world is just the same as beef from your U.S. cattle.

With this message, the NCBA worked with Canada, Mexico and the World Trade Organization (WTO) to convince Congress to repeal country of origin labeling (COOL). And Congress did.

With COOL gone, there is now a worldwide effort to render the origins of U.S. cattle irrelevant on a global scale. The effort includes relegating U.S. farmers and ranchers to nothing more than raw-product suppliers to the multinational meatpackers' global supply chain.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement (TPP) is being pushed by the NCBA and meatpackers. The TPP states the origin of beef is wherever the animal is slaughtered. This means when cattle are imported from Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada or Nicaragua and slaughtered by JBS or Tyson in a U.S. packing plant, the meat will be labeled as "Product of the USA."

We were deceived. We now know the real reason COOL was repealed was to help multinational meatpackers steal the good name and reputation of U.S. cattle producers and put it on beef from foreign-sourced cattle for duty-free distribution to TPP countries, including the United States. Your reputation is worth billions of dollars. Our own USDA helped gift this incredibly valuable asset to the multinational meatpackers. You got nothing.

R-CALF USA is the only association that testified before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) that the TPP should be rejected because it destroys competition between the U.S. live cattle industry and live cattle industries from around the world. The ITC's investigation reveals that even with the addition of Japan, and even after 15 years of operation, the TPP will not reverse the horrendous trade deficit the U.S. has with the 11 other TPP countries. The ITC found that the U.S. beef trade deficit with TPP countries was nearly $2.8 billion in 2015 alone. This ongoing deficit in the trade of beef is weakening the economic viability of our industry.

With both cattle supplies and beef production so low, and with steady beef demand, cattle prices were expected to remain at historical highs from 2015 until 2018, at which time herd rebuilding was projected to cause prices to gradually subside. But something went terribly wrong.

Recall June 2015 when the U.S. House of Representatives repealed COOL. Up until then fed cattle prices were steady and strong ($160.70 per cwt in May). But in June prices tumbled by more than $9 per cwt and kept tumbling through December. When the dust settled the market had lost an astounding $36 per cwt just since May. Fed cattle prices never fell so far or so fast at any other time in the history of our industry.

Calf prices fell just as hard, if not harder. In May 2015, feeder calves weighing 550 pounds were bringing $286.41 per cwt. By December, prices fell to $194.28, representing a loss of over $506 per head for U.S. cow/calf producers! This wasn't caused by competitive market fundamentals. No, this was the result of manipulation within our U.S. fed cattle market.

In early January, R-CALF USA asked the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee to investigate the cause of the 2015 cattle price collapse so we can prevent it from ever happening again. In response to our request, the Judiciary Committee in April asked the United States Comptroller General to conduct the investigation through his agency, the Government Accountability Office (GAO). In addition, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Grassley immediately introduced legislation to ban packer ownership of livestock, which will help reduce the control that multinational meatpackers presently have over our markets.

On May 26, the GAO accepted the request to investigate the cause of the 2015 price collapse. In fact, the U.S. Comptroller General is now investigating the changes that have occurred within our markets during the past 10 years. (2005 was the last year meatpackers purchased more than one-half of their cattle supplies in the competitive cash market. Today, the volume in the competitive cash market is below 22 percent.)

This unprecedented investigation is our last best chance to stop the multinational meatpackers from capturing control over our live cattle supply chain through vertical integration. They already accomplished this capture in both the poultry and hog industries. We call the processes of capturing control over livestock supply chains "chickenization."

ga.prime":cupw91q2 said:
To say that whoever wrote that is ill informed would be an act of kindness.
R-Calf USA. Watch some of the meetings sometime. I think you can pull some on youtube. They are one of the organizations taking action on behalf of us. They are pretty up to date on info. This letter was written in November. Might want to check them out. Thanks.

BK9954":7caukodp said:
ga.prime":7caukodp said:
To say that whoever wrote that is ill informed would be an act of kindness.
R-Calf USA. Watch some of the meetings sometime. I think you can pull some on youtube. They are one of the organizations taking action on behalf of us. They are pretty up to date on info. This letter was written in November. Might want to check them out. Thanks.
OK, but they are misconstruing the facts to the benefit of their bank account. Ill informed was the wrong choice of words.

COOL was the price killer and on November 8th the tables started to change in our favor.
Last year I sold just over 70% of my cattle through the local sale barn. The 30% that I sold private treaty brought more money than the 70% at the sale barn. I want to increase my private treaty sales, but I'm not producing enough quality animals yet. Everything takes forever in the cattle business.

callmefence":3btmegmz said:
ga.prime":3btmegmz said:

Yeah. Going a little of topic. I kept heifers when they where sky high. Got enough for my steers and culls to be happy. Now I'm selling every calf born to get enough . so I kept em when I could have got the most. Now I'm selling them for much less :dunce:
Next time I'll know better. :?:

You really mean there will be a "next time"? :D

Good morning. From the negative feedback about online networking I am having to assume some of the guys here are older then myself. I have thick skin and can handle the negative comments. There seems to be a lot of animosity towards guys like me getting into the industry and doing things different. Just appreciate younger people like me, in my 40's, that would come back to the dead family ranch, invest their life savings and take a risk on the market. I work cattle at night sometimes after a 15 hours shift. Cattle is in my blood, always will be. If guys like me dont do this we will eventually be on more imported beef then now. I plan to branch out, lease properties and run 200 head just like my grandfather. This will be when I can get out of my 70 hour a week job when the kids move out of the house. Until then 20 head id more then enough. Coming in from the outside a few years ago I see a system that is semi- broken. Cattlemen at the mercy of the market that in influenced by politics and the good ole boy system that runs the markets. We get screwed and most people just say, thats the way it is. Like the post above where they ignored the guy bidding, did the seller get the best price, no. That cow was sold to the buddy of the auctioneer. I feel bad for the sellers in a crooked market, I dont see integrity like I expected there to be. People flipping auction cattle on craigslist and saying they were raised on their Ranch. I could still see the sticker residue on the back of the animal. Do unto others as you would do unto yourself. As for me coming to this forum, I enjoy talking with you all. Anyways, thanks for the debate, I enjoy it. No hard feelings and enjoy the green pastures

Doesn't looking to be slowing anyone down on any groups I'm on. Nothing wrong with niche marketing. People are mainly paying for the convenience.

As with anything you are going to have the same type of people that your railing against at the sale barn do it on face book your never going to change human nature. While over 80% of the cattle operations(IIRC) are 50 head or less the marketing aspect is a individual market. I would enjoy watching the goat roping of you selling when you have 200hd to market. I am not proposing one for the other but In "real'Ville" most have other things to get done instead of nickel and diming your way to 50 bucks more per head and if your paying yourself for your time its a swap and the end of the day. Im worth 50 bucks an hour so it don't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that a load of good calves hauled to the sale barn is more profitable. I do sell a few heifers online so I know what it takes to get that done also. Because out of 10 people you deal with 8 are too stupid to live 1 might have enough money and the last one is actually serious and knows what he wants.

M-5":wtg8g8h1 said:
Because out of 10 people you deal with 8 are too stupid to live 1 might have enough money and the last one is actually serious and knows what he wants.
Yep, you are right on that one. My grandfather ran registered brangus, spent afternoons and weekends running cattle. I used to love riding with him as a kid doing that. As far as time. I am a workaholic. Always have been. But the day running cattle be becomes work I need to get out. I love every minute of it. Its like therapy after dealing with crappy custumers and lazy employees. My wife swears I am cheating on her with the cattle. Days off I spend out in the pastures or improving the property.

M-5":2rg71kdl said:
As with anything you are going to have the same type of people that your railing against at the sale barn do it on face book your never going to change human nature. While over 80% of the cattle operations(IIRC) are 50 head or less the marketing aspect is a individual market. I would enjoy watching the goat roping of you selling when you have 200hd to market. I am not proposing one for the other but In "real'Ville" most have other things to get done instead of nickel and diming your way to 50 bucks more per head and if your paying yourself for your time its a swap and the end of the day. Im worth 50 bucks an hour so it don't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that a load of good calves hauled to the sale barn is more profitable. I do sell a few heifers online so I know what it takes to get that done also. Because out of 10 people you deal with 8 are too stupid to live 1 might have enough money and the last one is actually serious and knows what he wants.

$50.00 a hour? I can't afford that. But there's no doubt your money ahead to sell at the sale barn if you have a job. The big wigs with a farm foreman just let them deal with the public.

To get back to the Facebook ban on animal sales, I posted an older Quarter horse broodmare for sale in the AQHA broodmare group and my sales post was flagged. I did NOT put it on Marketplace so apparently someone reported it. The ad is no longer visible to anyone other than myself... Ticked me off royally!! According to one of the groups I belong to on there, there is an animal rescue group encouraging it's members to flag sales listings on horses, cattle, dogs, etc. My ad remains on a couple of other groups, until the bozos find it I suppose!

LazyARanch":27xs3bxn said:
To get back to the Facebook ban on animal sales, I posted an older Quarter horse broodmare for sale in the AQHA broodmare group and my sales post was flagged. I did NOT put it on Marketplace so apparently someone reported it. The ad is no longer visible to anyone other than myself... Ticked me off royally!! According to one of the groups I belong to on there, there is an animal rescue group encouraging it's members to flag sales listings on horses, cattle, dogs, etc. My ad remains on a couple of other groups, until the bozos find it I suppose!
The policy is for the whole site of facebook. They dont have manpower to police the whole thing so its got to be a matter of if you get flagged or not. The article that Fire Sweep Ranch posted on the 2nd page explained that all sales are banned, but it was easily reportable on the Marketplace. You can even report whole groups. Who knows whats going to happen. I will still post sales until I get flagged. I am still seeing tons of animals for sale around the country. Probably better to join a "closed" group that non members cant see any post and therefore cant flag any post.

BK9954":3g4yotqk said:
Good morning. From the negative feedback about online networking I am having to assume some of the guys here are older then myself. I have thick skin and can handle the negative comments. There seems to be a lot of animosity towards guys like me getting into the industry and doing things different. Just appreciate younger people like me, in my 40's, that would come back to the dead family ranch, invest their life savings and take a risk on the market. I work cattle at night sometimes after a 15 hours shift. Cattle is in my blood, always will be. If guys like me dont do this we will eventually be on more imported beef then now. I plan to branch out, lease properties and run 200 head just like my grandfather. This will be when I can get out of my 70 hour a week job when the kids move out of the house. Until then 20 head id more then enough. Coming in from the outside a few years ago I see a system that is semi- broken. Cattlemen at the mercy of the market that in influenced by politics and the good ole boy system that runs the markets. We get screwed and most people just say, thats the way it is. Like the post above where they ignored the guy bidding, did the seller get the best price, no. That cow was sold to the buddy of the auctioneer. I feel bad for the sellers in a crooked market, I dont see integrity like I expected there to be. People flipping auction cattle on craigslist and saying they were raised on their Ranch. I could still see the sticker residue on the back of the animal. Do unto others as you would do unto yourself. As for me coming to this forum, I enjoy talking with you all. Anyways, thanks for the debate, I enjoy it. No hard feelings and enjoy the green pastures

That was just yesterday's dust up.
Today it's a black lady with a past due cafeteria Bill.

Latest posts