False Heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Ai'd some girls Dec 21-23. Put heat detect patches on them Jan 7th. One week later 3 patches showed red (i.e 21 days post AI). Pulled blood last weekend for preg test on those 3 and one (a 6yr old Sim) came back as bred. Today my neighbor (who is my AI tech) called me and said he saw her standing for the RA bull I put out last weekend. Trying to decide whether to pull blood and test her again. If she's not bred she would have to have gone to a 12 day cycle ?!?! Blood test for preg checks are supposed to be about 95% accurate though. Hmmmmm.........

Comments ???

Test her again because if you don't and she is open you are set back even further

Since she's already with the bull, leave her alone. Test her after you pull the bull and if she's open ship her.
It could have been that she held a calf, you tested her, and then she slipped. Alot of times early embryonic death will kind of throw a cow out of whack for a cycle or two but they usually come around and breed back. That happens alot more than people think but we never really paid attention until we we get to where we could bloodtest and find really small calves.

Do as cp advises and yes, it could be a false heat.
Occasionally a cow will cycle right through her pregnancy. Rarely, nearly every heat I hope to be false turns out to be a real one.

If you need certainty of her date the cut off for aging the pregnancy accurately is about twelve weeks. I suppose blood testing her again now would also confirm or deny her first date.

now she could be bred an just coming back into heat.ive seen a few cows come back in heat an they where bred.the false heats are very rare but they do happen.

I've just had six cows preg tested for dates because of matings 4 - 6 weeks apart, and 2 were holding to the earlier mating.
There could be one or two more, out of 160... I can't remember the last time I had a regularly cycling cow test pregnant though, it must be years ago.

Latest posts