Feds are paying $1000 to adopt a wild horse

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar said:

Liberals code of ethics is, don't let facts get in the way of a good story. That's a staggering overpopulation problem and a waste of taxpayers money. The wild horses could probably be self sufficient if they were culled and sold as needed.

That's a staggering overpopulation problem and a waste of taxpayers money. The wild horses could probably be self sufficient if they were culled and sold as needed.
I concur. I intentionally didn't include the "save the mustangs regardless of cost" liberal mantra. I live in the west and am no fan of the BLM. Properly managed, the "wild" horses could be viable & ecologically & economically coexist with domesticated grazing species. Such is not the current case.

Another good read and particularly as it pertains to the "purity" of feral versus ancient wild horses:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/environment/wild-horses-part-one/

Little Cow said:
There are only 50,000 horses and burros compared to 1,500,000 cattle. Most of the horses are in Nevada, on the worst public rangeland. The BLM rounds them up when they exceed 50K. (Source: BLM).

12,800,000 acres are leased for oil, fracking, and mining interests, which cause the most destruction to the environment by polluting ground water and tearing up the range grass.

Please keep in mind that this is public land, which belongs to us all. We should have a say in what happens to it. Back in the 70s, after WIld Horse Annie, we wanted horses to be there without being brutally gathered for dog food. Since then, the politicians have been pushing the horses and burros off the land for mining and oil interests and then blaming the cattle. The politicians rile up cattlemen against horse lovers so they can pull a slight of hand right under our noses. Why aren't we getting any money back from those penny leases given to oil, mining, and fracking interests? Who is getting the kickbacks? Well, take a guess. It sure isn't us.

The horses are a drop in the bucket. The horses are not the problem. The politicians are.

Do realize how many wild desert tortoises get stepped on by wild horses???? :shock:

I was reading an article and some of the horses the BLM catches every year go to prisons to be trained my inmates. The majority of horses used by Border Patrol come from that program. There are other state and federal agencies that use them also.

That sounds like a really great system all the way around. I have noticed BP has some really nice animals.

Sadly, I'm sure there are. In fact, my poor mare has a healed over bullet wound in her neck and a bullet fragment. She didn't deserve that.

I am amazed that we let our public lands be polluted by the fracking, mining, and oil people. Plus, what they have done on reservations. They have polluted many water sources in an area where water is scarce.
They are not native.

For what it's worth I think there is a long running thread with some cool pictures of wild horses on Ranchers

I was reading an article and some of the horses the BLM catches every year go to prisons to be trained my inmates. The majority of horses used by Border Patrol come from that program. There are other state and federal agencies that use them also.

That sounds like a really great system all the way around. I have noticed BP has some really nice animals.
Most of those should be for sale soon thanks to the DA in charge. 🤨

The are not "wild" they are feral . A non native introduced species.
Do a dna test and compare it to the dna of all the regestries of pure bred horses. I think many would be suprised how many of them are direct decendants of many regestered pure bred sires.
Something has to change with the current policy regarding "wild horses"i believe the current policy has resulted in poor ,inhuman treatment of thousands of horses both "wild" and domestic.

Could I send our miniature horses to inmates horse training program?! 🤔🤨 Or anybody know where you get a mini horse trained? I didn't grow up around horses, don't know much about them. Apparently, you should know how to break a horse to own one. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Could I send our miniature horses to inmates horse training program?! 🤔🤨 Or anybody know where you get a mini horse trained? I didn't grow up around horses, don't know much about them. Apparently, you should know how to break a horse to own one. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Hey Shell, got any Amish in your area? The kids train the minis. The older guys train the big horses. They will be dead broke when they come back too.

Hey Shell, got any Amish in your area? The kids train the minis. The older guys train the big horses. They will be dead broke when they come back too.

Somebody told me that before. We have some in the area.... what I do call them up ask if they want to train my miniature horse? Or should I text them? 🤣🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

Did I tell ya'll the story about the preacher selling us the pair of miniature horses. Telling us about the Amish down the road from him that made the miniature horse saddles. They was called something saddles they were on the internet or he could get me their number. I didn't think much about it. I looked them up started texting this person thinking they were Amish. The entire time thinking how weird it was the Amish was texting me. 🤣🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️ Come to find out it wasn't Amish at all. 😅🤣😂😆🙃😝

Seriously, would I just find stop by some Amish place or is that rude? I don't know any Amish. Or maybe stop at some that sell stuff amd ask them?

I do know you can marry in to Amish if your not Amish cause I asked an Amish man at a yard sale one time. 😅🤷🏽‍♀️ I didn't know and wanted to know. I knew you could break away from Amish. I didn't know if you could become Amish.

Somebody told me that before. We have some in the area.... what I do call them up ask if they want to train my miniature horse? Or should I text them? 🤣🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

Did I tell ya'll the story about the preacher selling us the pair of miniature horses. Telling us about the Amish down the road from him that made the miniature horse saddles. They was called something saddles they were on the internet or he could get me their number. I didn't think much about it. I looked them up started texting this person thinking they were Amish. The entire time thinking how weird it was the Amish was texting me. 🤣🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️ Come to find out it wasn't Amish at all. 😅🤣😂😆🙃😝

Seriously, would I just find stop by some Amish place or is that rude? I don't know any Amish. Or maybe stop at some that sell stuff amd ask them?

I do know you can marry in to Amish if your not Amish cause I asked an Amish man at a yard sale one time. 😅🤷🏽‍♀️ I didn't know and wanted to know. I knew you could break away from Amish. I didn't know if you could become Amish.
Some have phones and cars but it will be part of their business or in the office, just not in their homes.

We have some around here. They do leather work, train horses, the whole deal. They do great work.

I would talk to a local vet or feed mill or sale barn first. They not only would know how to get in touch with an Amish horse trainer, but they possibly know who to stay away from also. Some times Amish broke horses are kind of like hot dogs. You know it's a pig going in to the factory and you know it's hot dogs coming out, but you don't want to know the process.
You know you are taking an unbroke horse to the Amish and it will be dead broke when it comes back, but you don't want to know the process. Just like all trainers some are great and some not so good, but they get results.
Kalona horse sale This isn't the greatest video for an example, but it's short and the kids and ponies are neat. Any pony that had an Amish kid riding it started at $750 and went up fast. I think the top I saw was $1300 for a mini.
Good luck, keep us updated!

Last edited:
Some have phones and cars but it will be part of their business or in the office, just not in their homes.

We have some around here. They do leather work, train horses, the whole deal. They do great work.

I believe that but had a hard time believing they have cell phones text?! I watched some them breaking Amish shows before. They kept their business phone in a separate office or garage outside the house.

Latest posts