Feeding ground ear corn???

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I am feeding some 11 month old bull calves with ground ear corn. Ground ear corn is just ground corn to include the cob and some shuck. They have been on pasture also but with the weather cooling it is less pasture and more hay that is offered free choose.
I worked them up to 10 pounds per head fed once a day in the evening. When I tried to increase the amount fed they consumed less and it built up in the trough. One of the bulls turned the trough over so I waited a day and then put them back on 10 pounds per head per day fed once in the evenings. They seem to like that just fine.
My question is, should I feed more and split it into two feedings per day. Or should I just offer it free chooses. They don't seem to be gaining as well as I would like and they are eating very little hay.

Split it into two feedings and they'll realize more benefit from it. Stick with the same amount

Good feed ingredient but hard to find these days unless you grow and grind your own. Do as dun recommended and break it down into two feedings.

Latest posts