Feeding heifers at a show

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My son has decided to put a pen(2) of commercial heifers in the local fair next year.

In the near future we are going to start pulling them in a small pen for a day or so to get them use to it. They are in a 10ac trap right now.

How much feed and what kind would a person need to feed to keep them in good shape while staying in a pen like that for a couple days at the show?

We have sweet feed, hay, wcs available... nothing special.

And be prepared to haul water from home or filter city water to get rid of the chlorine taste.
I've heard a good trick to help with that is to keep a couple pennies in the water trough at home and then toss them in the water at the show so it tastes similar. Haven't tried it myself yet.

And be prepared to haul water from home or filter city water to get rid of the chlorine taste.
Didn't think of that. Thanks

We have 6ac here in town by my house that is getting some fence work. The plan is to move them there in a couple months to get use to more commotion and be close to the house. It has city water like the show barn so that should work out.

Sweetened juice crystals in the water works for horses, as long as they have got used to it at home prior to travelling. I would think it might work for cattle.

Latest posts