Fence Charger Repair

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Lightening is a big problem here with fence chargers. It blows both fuses, and has to be carried in for repair. Usually we tell them not to repair it. if it goes over $50
Most chargers we buy cost in the $100 or a little higher price range. No sense in paying major bucks for mother nature to knock it out again. Lightening isn't picky about chargers!

Does it take a Master's degree in Fence Charger Repair to repair these things? As ong as it takes, I wonder if NASA works on them inbetween launches.

Have any of you repaired your own charger? If so, where did you get the parts and are there instructions on basic repair?
Electricity isn't my favorite thing to take hold of, but I think it might be worth the money to give it a try.
Chuckie

Chuckie":f7jlov44 said:
Lightening is a big problem here with fence chargers. It blows both fuses, and has to be carried in for repair. Usually we tell them not to repair it. if it goes over $50
Most chargers we buy cost in the $100 or a little higher price range. No sense in paying major bucks for mother nature to knock it out again. Lightening isn't picky about chargers!

Does it take a Master's degree in Fence Charger Repair to repair these things? As ong as it takes, I wonder if NASA works on them inbetween launches.

Have any of you repaired your own charger? If so, where did you get the parts and are there instructions on basic repair?
Electricity isn't my favorite thing to take hold of, but I think it might be worth the money to give it a try.
Chuckie

Chuckie, my area is also very susceptible to lightning strikes. I buy my fence chargers from the Farmers Co-op. They are guaranteed 2 yrs against everything, including lightning. I pretty much just consider it a cost of doing business to replace one after the two yrs. is up. That being said, the last one I bought has gone considerably longer than two yrs. without being zapped. I think it has better circuit protection. This remark may jinx me! :eek: BTW, they will repair mine while I wait, if repairable, if not, they will give me a loaner until mine is ready. Of course if it's under warranty they give me a new one off the shelf.

Remove the cover and you'll see fuses and a "can" that can be replacedby simply pulling it straight out. Make sure the fuses are of the same type as what you removed. Whoever sold you the fencer should have that "can" available for replacement.

Cowdirt, some of the ones we take in for repair are older than two years old. We have several pastures in different areas that we run chargers. I try to keep the cost down as much as possible by recyling the ancient ones.

63DH8, I didn't realize they had the replacement parts at the Co-op. They don't repair our's where we purchase them.
I will check and see if they have the can at our store. You make it sound simple enough.
Chuckie

The fuses, you should be able to pick up at your local Radio Shack. The silver can-like device, the co-op or feed store that sells the fencer should have them. There's a three and a four post type. I think there may be a five and six post also, but I'm not sure. If you can't find them at the co-op, take a picture of it and post the numbers and I'll see if I can find them at the local feed store here for you.

If you guys have that much trouble with lightning strikes, why not buy a lightning arrestor kit and install it between the fence and fencer? The last one I bought was only 20 bucks, heckuva lot cheaper than repairing or buying new fencers.

Rod

We use the arrestor kit as well, my energizer is fairly expensive so that was a no brainer.

The same company that makes my 18 joule model now has a 45 joule model with arrestor built in - drooling thinking of the howls from the pasture that thing would make.Wish they had a trade in plan.

Then again, been nailed a few times by the 18 joule, don't wanna think what the 45 would feel like! :lol:

ALX

Part of the expense in the more pricey energizers is that they have pluggable components/boards. If one takes a hit you swap out the bad componenet and you're off and running. We've only had a problems with one, cost 25 bucks to plug in the new component. Been running 8 years since then without a problem.

dun

Dun, What brand of charger are you using? My old paramark has been ticking them off about 8 years. Someday I'll have to replace and would like to know what chargers others have had good luck with.

Ok, I have to confess that I have never gave second thought about different kinds of chargers. I have everything in the house connected to surge protectors, but never considered anything to stop lightening on a fence. I guess I'll have to confess a blond gene hidden.
I too want to know about the type of chargers that have replceable parts like Dun (my hero) spoke of.
DiamondSCattle and AngusLimoX, give me an idea of what lightening arrestor kit you are speaking of. There isn't one listed in my TSC catalog. I need to be able to say that I learned something today!
Chuckie

I know we aren't supposed to advertise, but nothing with the Gallagher name has ever let me down. From insultors to energizer.

I have wasted a few bucks on cheaper stuff, but it was the time it took to go out and fix the fence because of it I remember!

Common rule with fence - do it right first time.

We've used the Zabar(? something like that... if you need to know I'll get up and look) ) brand for years and had good luck. They are easy to get parts for if you need them, as they have a web site.

We've never had one struck by lightning here. Funny, when we lived in Illinois we used the "old fashioned" kind that you had to have electricity for, and they were getting knocked out constantly. Just replace one of the screw in fuses and you were off and running again.

I use Gallagher. The one that needed the part is a battery/solar powered job. The main one is still doing fine after 10 years, Gllagher M8500.
Neighbor has a Parmal running on his side of the fence and replaces it every couple of years.
kencove.com has lightening chokes and all sorts of neat powered fencing stuff

dun

I use Gallagher. The one that needed the part is a battery/solar powered job. The main one is still doing fine after 10 years, Gllagher M8500.
Neighbor has a Parmal running on his side of the fence and replaces it every couple of years.
kencove.com has lightening chokes and all sorts of neat powered fencing stuff

dun

I prefer SpeedRite due to its higher output joules versus stored joules which tells me they use very high quality capacitors, but PEL and Gallagher also make good fencers.

As for a lighting arrestor kit, heres a link to one:

http://www.speedrite.com/speedrite_new/ ... tegoryID=8

This gives you a better idea how they hook up:

http://docs.nemtek.com/nemdocs/Electric ... 169bab94a9

At the very bottom of this link is a good description of how they hook up and how they work:
http://www.kencove.com/stafix/energiser.htm

Rod

Latest posts