Finally sold Molly's calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Lannie

Reaction score
Long story short (boy, am I tired) we got Molly's boy, Joe, to the sale barn on Monday and got $1.50 a pound for him, in spite of him still having one testicle from my botched banding job last summer. He wasn't quite a steer, and he wasn't quite a bull. He weighed out nicely, though, I was quite surprised he tipped the scales at 990 pounds. Here he is the day before leaving home, checking out the loading pen I had just put together. I know we could have gotten more if I'd been more careful getting that rubber band on him, but I'm not unhappy. It's more than I've ever gotten for a weaned calf before (even though he's a yearling). :)

05-04-24 Joe 01.JPG

Glad you got him gone... Yes you could have done better if he was a steer... but what you got is what steers were bringing not too long ago... so you did good... especially at that weight... He looked to be in good condition.
This is the time to sell ANYTHING that anyone is contemplating selling...

Son took 4 cull cows and 2 totally batsh!t nut case steers today...lightweights probably 400+/- lbs I guess... maybe more???...... getting anything for them is better than them breaking their neck or something... one went over 2 gates and got into the bunk feeder, scrambled upside down and got out and fell on the concrete floor...he was in with some other calves so not like he was totally by himself... he just didn't want anyone near him in the barn even with the other calves in there..... he said he doesn't know how he didn't break his neck.... so what ever we get is better than burying him.... got one heifer that is getting a little skittish so glad they are gone.... hope she calms down...

I'm glad Joe wasn't crazy like that! He liked to frisk and frolic, but he wasn't crazy. In fact, while I was putting those panels together, he came over and very respectfully watched me from a few feet away. At one point, he was on one side of one of the panels, and he started licking my arm through the bars. He wasn't really a bad boy, just a rowdy teenager, but I'll tell you what. It is SO much quieter and more peaceful out in the corrals now. Both girls, Molly and Stinker, pined for him for a couple of days, but they're over it now. I put them back together as soon as Joe was on the trailer, and they're having a blast out grazing and napping in the sunshine together. Nice and quiet like. ;)

We have sold over 40 steers the past 2 months, some we wintered over and weighed in the 7 wts... some recently that were 500+ that were weaned and vaccinated and all... just these 2 were plain stupid... Most get used to coming in the barn to eat at the bunk and don't do more than move out of your way when feeding...a few would come right up to you looking to see if there was anything in the buckets.....Have a couple of 4 month olds at a pasture that like to run and play but not so stupid... who knows where they got it from...Glad there is peace and quiet there now...

Hey, MM! Still milking, still getting nearly 2 gallons every morning, and yes, she's bred back for a late September calf (due date 9-29-24). I hope the new little one can keep up with her milk by January-ish when the weather gets really nasty and I need a backup. I expect Molly to make significantly more milk in her future lactations. Not that I need more milk... She makes plenty of milk for me and then some!

I jinxed myself. The day after I posted that above, Molly decided not to come in to be milked. The neighbor moved her heifer herd in next door (that's their summer pasture), and Molly is being very frisky and wanting to visit with the new girls. She GALLOPED away from me when I was trying to herd her in. I wish I had a good cow dog...

She came in fine Sunday morning, and I thought OK, it was just the newness of the heifers across the fence distracting her, but then yesterday she did it again. I can't keep milking her haphazardly, and she HAS been in milk for a year now, so I decided to save us both the aggravation and go ahead and dry her off. I can buy milk from the neighbor until Molly calves. She has three cows in milk right now with another one due in a couple of weeks. It won't be as good as Molly's milk, but it will have to do. ;)

I have a LOT of other things stressing me right now. Rich is hurt and can't do anything physical, my house dog Missy is hurt (but the vet said it was probably snakebite and she's getting better), but I'm the only nurse, and Missy has required some intensive care the last few days. I also have to be the cook and the maid as well as the farm hand, and I really don't have time to chase Molly around when she gets a silly notion in her head. If I had enough hay, I'd pen her until her regular dry-off time, but I don't. So she's on vacation. She and Stinker will spend the summer in the tall cool grass under the trees and trade cow secrets and everything will work out. September will be here before I know it, and then I'll have milk coming out my ears.

I have to say, Saturday morning was the FIRST time since she calved last May that she has not come into the barn when I called her. The first time. So I'm not holding this against her. We both need a break.

Latest posts