First Calf Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes , an early calver; good pelvic measurement if you do that . Any trait that you look for in your replacements. I have kept several and they have done well !

If the heifer is 24 months and the birth was unassisted then I might keep heifer calves to increase herd size or replace.

I work under the idea that I can buy a better bull tan I can breed. So bulls would be steer'd heifer or old cow.

Try not to keep any from first calf heifers. We wean replacement calves quite some time after we ship the regular crowd. Don't want the strain on first calf heifers to feed a calf going into winter, if that makes sense?!
But exceptions happen, for all kind of reasons. Planned and un-planned. =D

If the heifers from first calf heifers are not worth keeping - you are the problem. You picked the wrong breeding stock.

No financial benefit in a terminal operation.
The dam returns no profit for two years and neither does the retained heifer.
You have four years worth of inputs into your next two calves, that has looser written all over it.
Secondly if the retained heifer dies she has no value to write off.
The purchased heifer has depreciation value and is ready for immediate production saving a years inputs over the retained. You never lost production of a dam retaining heifers.
There is a little more too this than a salebarn check.

No financial benefit in a terminal operation.
The dam returns no profit for two years and neither does the retained heifer.
You have four years worth of inputs into your next two calves, that has looser written all over it.
Secondly if the retained heifer dies she has no value to write off.
The purchased heifer has depreciation value and is ready for immediate production saving a years inputs over the retained. You never lost production of a dam retaining heifers.
There is a little more too this than a salebarn check.
I agree on the terminal herds if you want to buy in heifers. This thread was discussing the potential to keep heifers by those who want to keep heifers.

I agree on the terminal herds if you want to buy in heifers. This thread was discussing the potential to keep heifers by those who want to keep heifers.
You would be surprised at those that think retained heifers are free.
Nothing wrong with retaining either just don't BS yourself about the cost.

That's what I was thinking. The question was keeping heifers from heifers.

My neighbor told me the other day he never keeps heifers from heifers because they don't grow as good and the moms don't milk as well as they do when they are a 3 or 4 year old cow.

He said the genetics are there but they just don't do as good. I said "Really!?"