First one for 23’

Help Support CattleToday:

Heifer #216 had hers last evening. Heifer calf. We were going up the driveway and I told my wife she looked like she was about to have it. We ate dinner and went to check and it was out.

I am keeping my eye on her as I was not as impressed with her mothering as the first two. But, it has been nursing and shes been licking it and seems concerned about it.

When she had it she seemed to be looking at it like "what just came out of me?" She would spin around to keep looking at it when it was trying to nurse which made my blood boil a little lol. The calf persisted and she then let it nurse and cleaned it up like she finally realized what was going on.

27448A8E-05E6-4C58-B4F2-77292195BDD9.jpeg

Heifer #216 had hers last evening. Heifer calf. We were going up the driveway and I told my wife she looked like she was about to have it. We ate dinner and went to check and it was out.

I am keeping my eye on her as I was not as impressed with her mothering as the first two. But, it has been nursing and shes been licking it and seems concerned about it.

When she had it she seemed to be looking at it like "what just came out of me?" She would spin around to keep looking at it when it was trying to nurse which made my blood boil a little lol. The calf persisted and she then let it nurse and cleaned it up like she finally realized what was going on.

View attachment 26882
I call that the "heifer dance"!

Lots of first-timers do it. 😆

She'll get it figured out. Sounds like she already has!

I call that the "heifer dance"!

Lots of first-timers do it. 😆

She'll get it figured out. Sounds like she already has!
That's what I call it as well! I usually just wait it out but if it's in the middle of the night and I'm ready to go home, I'll dump cubes to keep her occupied while the calf gets down to business.

I checked on them a few times today and they are doing good. I'm not really worried anymore.

On another note, #221's heifer calf which was the first one on this thread is growing really well despite being tiny at birth. Here is a video of the little squirt.

View attachment trim.D24FBF24-5E7D-41EB-A8E0-44632F5AFD20.MOV

I have a few that have looked like they are going to calve at any time but they are taking there good ol time with it. I need to get a picture of #205. She looks like she swallowed a barrel sideways.

Here's another picture of the first calf. For being probably 40-45 lbs at birth, she is a chunk already.

2CF172FA-9284-4C79-A1EC-96F8332B6187.jpeg

I have a few that have looked like they are going to calve at any time but they are taking there good ol time with it. I need to get a picture of #205. She looks like she swallowed a barrel sideways.

Here's another picture of the first calf. For being probably 40-45 lbs at birth, she is a chunk already.

View attachment 27309
I would never use a cow or bull that put a calf that small on the ground. What kind of weaning weights/mature weights do you expect with that calf?

Hey now. It's nice to have a LIVE healthy calf out of a heifer!

Who's the sire?
Walking bull or A.I?

They are out of my bull. I have a thread on him too but its buried in the beginners board. These are all heifers that I have. I am going to use him one more go around and switch out.

They are out of my bull. I have a thread on him too but its buried in the beginners board. These are all heifers that I have. I am going to use him one more go around and switch out.
It sounds like he's a GREAT heifer bull! Any bull calves by him yet? They tend to be a lil bigger at birth.

Lots of folks would disagree, but I like to sleep at night. 😆

It sounds like he's a GREAT heifer bull! Any bull calves by him yet? They tend to be a lil bigger at birth.

Lots of folks would disagree, but I like to sleep at night. 😆

Yeah one bull so far (post #18]. He was bigger. Taller it seemed. The third was a heifer and she was the same size as the first one. Now its's just a waiting game. 7 more to go.

Yeah one bull so far (post #18]. He was bigger. Taller it seemed. The third was a heifer and she was the same size as the first one. Now its's just a waiting game. 7 more to go.
I hope you weren't insulted by my comment. I didn't mean it as an insult, only a comment. And I'm still interested in... What kind of weaning weights/mature weights do you expect with that calf?

I hope you weren't insulted by my comment. I didn't mean it as an insult, only a comment. And I'm still interested in... What kind of weaning weights/mature weights do you expect with that calf?

I'm not that easily insulted. As far as your question, I really just expect to have something to sell at weaning age. I started over with getting these heifers and the bull is new so I really don't have a baseline. Lord willing my plan will be to share the results, good or bad.

I'm not that easily insulted. As far as your question, I really just expect to have something to sell at weaning age. I started over with getting these heifers and the bull is new so I really don't have a baseline. Lord willing my plan will be to share the results, good or bad.
Well I wish you well... I'd be curious to know what a calf that light at birth will wean at if you keep it to seven months, so please post the weight when you sell it.

I am with chaded on this one. I kept three home raised heifers this year. Two had very small heifer calves that were soon up and nursing and are growing well. The third had a very large bull calf that was a hard pull even with a set of pullers. The calf was dead by the time I got it out, but the heifer got up OK.
I would take the first two outcomes any time over the third.

Latest posts