Fly rubs and weather exposure

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of fly rubs are exposed to weather. How well do they hold up? Does rain kill the effects of the solution? How often do you guys reapply even in dry weather?

Herofan
It doesn't help it, but at the same time, oil and water doesn't mix. If you are using an oil based fly repellant, mixed with the diesel fuel it should be OK. It seems to make it heavier, but I think it is because it had some dry space where the rub had been depleted of oil. When it has been up a while, it probably needed recharging anyway.
I recharge mine just by looking at the cows. If the flies are coming back on them pretty good, I saturate it again. If I feel of it and it feels pretty dry I can pour it on. I pour it on slowly until it starts to drip, then I quit. No sense in wasting it. Then I seal up my can.

You can mix a water base fly repellant I have learned with diesel fuel if you add Xylene in the fuel. Make sure it is pure Xylene and doesn't have any other product mixed in with it. People use Xylene to clean out their tanks when they are running diesel as it will disperse or evenly distribute the water in the fuel. This can be used with Malathion or any fly repellant you want to use. In a diesel motor, it called for 3 oz. of Xylene per 10 gallons. It is actually to mix with paint to make it dry slower, or that is one of the uses. I got it on my hands and didn't wash it off as I walked to the pasture to see if it would start burning or do harm. But it just went away and I never saw a problem on my skin from it. If I couldn't tell where 100% concentrate ran down my hand an under my wrist, I figured the cows would be fine.
Now I can say it was tested on humans. Humans were not harmed during the testing of this product. :lol2:

This is the first time to try it, and I mixed a 2.5 gallon fuel container to pour on a 10 ft rub. I poured in 1.5 cups of 56% Malathion, 1 oz of Xylene, and filled up the rest of the way with diesel fuel to get the 2.5 gallons. Then I shook it real well. The soution stayed cloudy as I poured it on the rub. I will let you know how it goes.
Now I am concerned how water will do on this mixture! It sure smelled stout when I got finished with it.
Next, to try the suggestion that M. Magis told of putting a stitch of woven fishing line in the fly flaps to keep them from moving. I will do that tomorrow unless someone changes my plans.

I got a question about those rubs. Where do y'all put them? Do they need to be in a pinch point where the cows have to go under it or will they just naturally use it? Also instead of hanging it can you set a post and wrap the rub around it so they'll use it as a scratch post?

I always hang mine between gates so when they move from one pasture to the next they go under the rub. I have seen some people just hang it between two trees where the cows like to rest in the shade it does ok but between the gates works a lot better. Never seen one wrapped around a post for the cow to rub on would think it would work that well but I don't know.

dieselbeef":1brxlfcj said:
MY COWS WONT GO NEAR IT..EVEN FOR FEED SOMETIMES. I had 50/50 luck with it

Have they been up for a while? I also have them in loafing areas in each pasture and between gate posts at barns. Mine sure use them. These cows have been around them their whole life so it's nothing new.
I use old tube socks for face flaps. Just poke a hole thru the toe of two and secure them at desired points with two wraps of baling twine tied extra tight.

fitz

Mine were injected with ivomec two weeks ago. They already have flies back on them. Think I might have to go back to a rub this year. It seems to be a really bad year. They have fly tags in their ears too. Different brand in each ear.

backhoeboogie":3hjukoud said:
Mine were injected with ivomec two weeks ago. They already have flies back on them. Think I might have to go back to a rub this year. It seems to be a really bad year. They have fly tags in their ears too. Different brand in each ear.
Someone else may know more but I think I remember reading about using organophosphate tags for three years then switch to pyrethroid type for one.Using different brands might be causing resistance.I am using fly rubs more now but it depends on your situation.

Kinda late to start pass thrus--need to begin as early as you can in the fly season.

Hang the rubs across any gate opening the cattle go thru at least twice perday. At first, they'll be leery of the rubs and try to quickly pass at the outer edges, but will soon enough, go right under the center and if like mine, they will rock back and forth under the rub.

Rubs are like any other fly fighting tool--not going to work 100% by itself, but it will help.

When we first put up a rub, we put it across the entry to a pen where we fed them. But they gave it the stink eye and didn't come in for feed. We let one end down, when they were in the pen, put it back up. So they had to pass thru it to leave, and they soon did. Didn't take long until they figured out what it did and liked it. Even had a horse who liked to scratch himself with it. He would back into it, swing back and forth and scratch his rump. Bull likes to give himself a backrub. Use rope to tie off to the rope that goes thru the rub. Wire or a hook will chafe thru the rub rope real quick and ruin it.

Hubby uses a sprayer to saturate the rub and the face flaps. We just observe for flies and how strong the smell is around the rub to figure out when to re-charge it.

Latest posts