Gelbvieh 4H steer

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I think this is a really nice steer but, I may have blinders on and am missing some very important faults.

Show is in 2 months and mock show in a month, he weighs a tad under 1400 lbs and his DOB is March 8 2014.

10915131_10205263230957030_4458487527500116144_o%20bo1_zpszfnyqhcc.jpg

11079496_10205263230917029_5144039295715007241_o%20bo3_zpsh0agf2rs.jpg

10565152_10205263230877028_2387491144404350120_n_zpstvwlevdk.jpg
o

First brushing today, so he still has a long way to go as far as fitting goes.

He will never win as he is not blk Angus but I do hope he manages to turn a few heads and opinions that the GV breed is exceptional. Last year we were the only ones showing any GV or GV influenced animals out of around 75 head including heifers and cow calf pairs . He placed in the top 7 for highest rate of gain for the steers.

If you would like to critique go ahead as we only have 2 more months to make him show worthy.

in two months, that steer is going to weigh 1600 pounds. He's probably going to be perfect for eating, but that is a heavyweight calf to win shows around here. He looks great to me tho.

Last year all of the winners were around 1500 lbs and most were Jan calves. He weighed in at 805lbs but I had started him on feed already in Sept. I doubt that he can keep the ROG going steady until show, GV's usually taper off towards the end and just maintain. I just bumped him up to 35 lb of grower/finisher ration a day and no more hay just straw. Last year Ace and Sal were eating 40lbs a day of ration and their ROG's were 3.25 lbs a day, both were blk GV's.

This steers average rate of gain so far is 4.05lbs. No implants or medicated feed either, he is all natural. Would be nice to keep him going like that at least he would be competitive.

hillsdown":3bk1yikk said:
Last year all of the winners were around 1500 lbs and most were Jan calves. He weighed in at 805lbs but I had started him on feed already in Sept. I doubt that he can keep the ROG going steady until show, GV's usually taper off towards the end and just maintain. I just bumped him up to 35 lb of grower/finisher ration a day and no more hay just straw. Last year Ace and Sal were eating 40lbs a day of ration and their ROG's were 3.25 lbs a day, both were blk GV's.

This steers average rate of gain so far is 4.05lbs. No implants or medicated feed either, he is all natural. Would be nice to keep him going like that at least he would be competitive.

He's home raised isn't he Hillsdown? Looks like you gave up a real nice bull for that young fella's 4H steer.

3waycross":1grdfsgm said:
hillsdown":1grdfsgm said:

He's home raised isn't he Hillsdown? Looks like you gave up a real nice bull for that young fella's 4H steer.

Yes home raised but I think I made the right choice on him. I love his color, his depth and his length but he does have faults that feed have covered up. If he was muscled like a bull would be at this age you would definitely see those faults and I don't think he would have been very desirable as a herd sire.

Mr. Hillsdown is earning his pay these past few days getting this big bugger broke to lead. With everything that has been going on I am so far behind with the show animals, thank goodness for this breed and that they are for the most part gentle giants. If only they knew just how big and powerful they actually are. I think the steer will finally be ready for mock show in 3 weeks, without running the "little genius" into the side of the building. :cowboy:

Sounds like the irresistible force meets the immovable object. I sure would like to watch that rodeo...Tell Eddie my money's on him.

"little genius" that's coldblooded......funny......but cold blooded.. You kill me!

3waycross":ld8rd93h said:
hillsdown":ld8rd93h said:

Isn't that the definition of a steer? A castrated male bovine that would of made a real nice herd bull. :lol:

Real nice steer. Good meat wagon.

Nice steer! I can't find many holes in him from the pics, I appreciate his length and it looks like he's fairly clean fronted with good bone and muscle. Maybe you'll get a surprise and he'll beat out the blacks, judges around my area are starting to become less prejudiced towards the colored up animals.

That is a very nice steer!!

He will be BIG come fair time if you continue to feed him hard.

Looks to be tame too-

You have done a good job young man!!!!!

Best wishes-

Thank you!

He has come a long way compared to last year. He actually feeds them on the weekends/holidays and checks them everyday, brings them fresh bedding etc.

I hope Mr. Hillsdown will be home for the show. My nephew is not ready to be left alone at the show by himself and get all done that needs to be done and I do not expect any help from anyone else even if circumstances are a little different this year.

I am hoping I can get them(heifer and steer) professionally fitted before hand. A month before show and then the morning before we weigh in and pen so the little genius just has to touch them up the next morning and the sale day if the steer does not get too dirty and no one else's steer poops on him. :roll:

Commercialfarmer":2moght3c said:
Nice steer. Just from my limited perspective, seems that there is more real world function in some of the canadian show animals.

Thanks CF!

I doubt that the Canadian show animals are any more "real world" than anywhere else.

This guy won't win. I doubt he will place very well either. Wrong breed, but this is what we bring to the beef market in the real world so it is what it is and what we have to work with. They do taste delicious as well ! :D

Latest posts