Gelbvieh heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I worked with Lady Bequest today, did a thorough brushing and got most of the winter hair out but not impressed with the curly hair that is still left. MR HD wants to give her a full clip but I am sure it will NOT be grown back in time for show the end of May. :roll: I just do not know what to do, her head was clipped when we did the bulls the end of Jan. and it is all blk now but still has not fully grown in. Soooooo...

I hope that the more she gets fitted, each time that curly hair will be worked out.

She is looking really good though, will be a year the end of the month and already weighs 1235lbs. Next heat I am going to AI her to Pop A Top, should be in another week.

She looks awful. Let me hold her for a couple years and I'll shape her up for you.

It may even take 8 to 12 yrs.

She looks good! We took off a few of the September calves hair coats today, with medium blades going with the hair growth. Our first shows are in May, and they grow back by then. It gets rid of the dead winter hair and allows new growth to come in.
Just what we do.

Nice HD!
I agree, I would not shave her close. Maybe you can set your blade high and just skim that brown hair off. Also a blower will get rid of the curls.

I like her, but I gotta ask why you would want a calf from her in december? If it were me I'd wait another cycle or so.. Perhaps she's got plans like that anyhow :p

Hope you do well with her!

They want show calves as early in the year as possible, or atleast as late in the year they can still get away with doctoring the birthdates til the new year. ha

Can't wait to see that Pop A Top calf out of her. Should be as wide topped as they come. Curious, is she homo black?

Thanks for the kind replies , sorry I did not get back sooner but I was having a hard time getting on CT for some reason. :?

Nesi, there are a few reasons why I am AI'ing earlier this year.
For Bequest it is that I want her safe in calf before we travel and she definitely is ready to breed as far as size goes and she has been having regular heats since she was 4 months old. Also I want all of my heifers to calve the beginning of Jan. so I can concentrate on them at that time. I have a couple of other selfish reasons wanting to AI earlier this year as well.

No she is not homoblk 3way . Her dam is an Ozz Ideal Direction daughter and her sire is a Sir Arnold son
Her sire as a yearling.
10355833_10204142469978706_5695628356130536036_n%20-%20Copy_zpst6yakrae.jpg

Btw that is a Sir Arnold daughter beside him and she was safely in calf to Pure Power at the time of the pic.

Here is the dam as a yearling.
10418894_10204142471978756_2974907734733512385_n_zpsfgk6quuy.jpg

Here is the Grand dam at 13 years old, she just turned 15 and will calve any day to my Pure Power son. Both her Twin Ideal Directions daughters gave me bull calves this year out of my Pure Power son.
10562487_10204142474418817_4710145983808609354_o_zpsniajv3rb.jpg

Thank you for all of the suggestions! :D :tiphat:

AllForage":k4k64bbp said:
Very nice yearling bull!!!!

Thank you!! He is home grown as well.

It is a very humbling feeling when bull customers walk into my bull pen, see the clean up bulls and the first thing they say is "holy shytt", nice bulls.

My 2014 bull calves are the best we have had to date out of our home grown bulls(as it should be), but they are also the first I have pushed with a little feed. The above bull has never had grain other then a mouthful with the cows when I have to move them into the coral to work them. I wonder what he would have looked like had he gotten 10-15 lbs of grain a day for 6 months as a calf to a yearling.

I will take some pics to post soon as all but one is sold and will be heading out the end of the week.

hillsdown":24cv5qz1 said:
AllForage":24cv5qz1 said:
Very nice yearling bull!!!!

Thank you!! He is home grown as well.

It is a very humbling feeling when bull customers walk into my bull pen, see the clean up bulls and the first thing they say is "holy shytt", nice bulls.

My 2014 bull calves are the best we have had to date out of our home grown bulls(as it should be), but they are also the first I have pushed with a little feed. The above bull has never had grain other then a mouthful with the cows when I have to move them into the coral to work them. I wonder what he would have looked like had he gotten 10-15 lbs of grain a day for 6 months as a calf to a yearling.

I will take some pics to post soon as all but one is sold and will be heading out the end of the week.

You need to AI less and use your own bulls more, you'll be surprised at how much quicker the progress will be

ANAZAZI":1bsyjanl said:
KNERSIE":1bsyjanl said:
You need to AI less and use your own bulls more, you'll be surprised at how much quicker the progress will be

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Was going to say the same but bit my tongue since that seems to not be cool around here :)

I did not AI at all last year, just used my bulls so I will let you know in a couple of months how the calves look but right now they are a really nice uniform set of calves.

Kind of hard to not AI when you close your herd and only started with 5 really good bred cows and one 2 year old with a heifer at her side.

I am getting better at picking the "type" I want for my herd and what will fit, not just what is top on the AI charts at that moment. Long way to go but we are getting there a little more each year.

I am AI'ing my heifers because the bull I am keeping this year is out of a Pure Power son and a Sir Arnold daughter and most of the girls have that in their blood lines already. But he will go in to clean up after they are all AI'd , it could be interesting.

I am AI'ing a few of the cows because I really want to try semen we got from the Bull Futurity show on them, I think their breeding program and what they strive for will fit in very nicely with this herd. Btw these breeders do not AI anything, they use their own bulls or purchase them from other breeders.

That's a nice heifer. I don't think you can go wrong by either hand picking AI sires or using your own bulls. You know what you're looking for so do what seems best for you case by case but there's no doubt in my mind that you have quality bulls on hand. I hope to see pictures like this from you for a long time to come.

I don't disagree with using your own home raised bulls but sometimes you need or want to make a change that cannot be accomplished with in house genetics. Or at least not in a very timely manner.

I will be doing both this year with a home raised bull for the first time and AI'ing to some very similar genetics with a little different twist.

3waycross":1wljn3gf said:
I don't disagree with using your own home raised bulls but sometimes you need or want to make a change that cannot be accomplished with in house genetics. Or at least not in a very timely manner.

I will be doing both this year with a home raised bull for the first time and AI'ing to some very similar genetics with a little different twist.

This breeding protocol is what I call "Balancing Multiple Trait Characteristics"! By concentrating your own carefully selected EPD's and traits, you are focusing on narrowing the spread of unwanted genetic characteristics, and improving the chances of achieving your phenotypic desires with each generation. If you find a trait (EPD) in a retained heifer that is somewhat undesirable, for instance, you can "tweak" that trait by using a bull that will improve that trait -SLIGHTLY!. The trick is to NOT attempt to do it in one fell swoop in one generation because THAT is when you will discover that OTHER traits will take a hit and you will have to start all over again in balancing THOSE traits.

MAKE PROGRESS SLOWLY!

DOC HARRIS

3waycross":2t5qlbas said:

What kind of change?

Latest posts