Gettin' close

Help Support CattleToday:

That is why I have 4-6 calves for a fresh cow.... let 3or4 in to eat, pull a couple after a couple minutes... PITA to do that but after about 10 days, I will let them all go on the cow for say 12 hours... watch the manure... they will regulate after a bit... BUT... the initial getting on a cow is the tricky part...Or do like @TexasJerseyMilker ....or..... milk the cow out at least 2 quarters.... to let them on the other 2... if you milk out at least 2 quarters, you will also know about how much she is making.... dairy calves should only get 2 qts (1/2 gallon) a feeding for at least 10 days or so.... I have dairies that are going to 3 qts a feeding but not right off.... calves need to be HUNGRY..... and their system needs to get used to the richness of the milk.....The only way a calf doesn't get scours is if they can eat a little every hour or 2 and can regulate the amounts... but it is hard with a dairy cow making that much and those little guys are just little pigs....they want to eat and eat... get a glut in their stomachs... and it "runs out the other end" when they cannot process it all....

That is why I have 4-6 calves for a fresh cow.... let 3or4 in to eat, pull a couple after a couple minutes... PITA to do that but after about 10 days, I will let them all go on the cow for say 12 hours... watch the manure... they will regulate after a bit... BUT... the initial getting on a cow is the tricky part...Or do like @TexasJerseyMilker ....or..... milk the cow out at least 2 quarters.... to let them on the other 2... if you milk out at least 2 quarters, you will also know about how much she is making.... dairy calves should only get 2 qts (1/2 gallon) a feeding for at least 10 days or so.... I have dairies that are going to 3 qts a feeding but not right off.... calves need to be HUNGRY..... and their system needs to get used to the richness of the milk.....The only way a calf doesn't get scours is if they can eat a little every hour or 2 and can regulate the amounts... but it is hard with a dairy cow making that much and those little guys are just little pigs....they want to eat and eat... get a glut in their stomachs... and it "runs out the other end" when they cannot process it all....
Top that off with a jersey that makes half cream to her milk and just what u said....
RICH

I think that is exactly what we are facing.

I usually have 1 or 2 older calves that I will let in to a cow after "her calves" have eaten for a couple of minutes... the bigger ones will muscle out the smaller ones and clean up the surplus milk so the littler ones don't get too much...It is a balancing act... and you are dealing with calves that have probably been on milk replacer before you get them, in many cases, and the switch is tough on their systems... or if they came off a cow, like some that are split off a cow due to poor milk or bad udder or something, they are going to try to get all they can and then get too much all at once.

I usually have 1 or 2 older calves that I will let in to a cow after "her calves" have eaten for a couple of minutes... the bigger ones will muscle out the smaller ones and clean up the surplus milk so the littler ones don't get too much...It is a balancing act... and you are dealing with calves that have probably been on milk replacer before you get them, in many cases, and the switch is tough on their systems... or if they came off a cow, like some that are split off a cow due to poor milk or bad udder or something, they are going to try to get all they can and then get too much all at once.
I was hoping the graft would take up the slack but it was too much for him also. I tend to let them with the cow post milking so they don't get too much at once. But she's pouring on the milk and they are filling up every chance they get. The graft was on cows milk the entire time but from 3 different sources till our cow calved. I did his dehorning and castration thinking that would slow him down for a few days and he didn't skip a beat. Plan fail. The graft calf is squared away now but her heifer is still struggling. I suspect a few more days and we'll have her on her way. She's feeling better just has more liquid stool than I'd like to see.

I've been treating the jersey heifer calf for scours. Just can't get her stopped up.Just dragging on. Being careful not to let her over eat on mom. Today I started suspecting she may be stealing from the Aberdeen who just calved. They are in the same pasture during the day when our jersey cow is out grazing. That cows udder looks like it's been nursed more than her little calf can eat right now. Calf once again looked full and wasn't interested in eating when I brought her mom in for milking again. Went onto the camera and sure enough caught her eating while the little Aberdeen steer was nursing. Why do jerseys try so hard to kill themselves?! :rolleyes: At least I have figured it out. Will be keeping her locked in a pen away from the other cow.

Many dairy calves seem to be more likely to be willing to graft on to cows, and then steal milk whenever/wherever they can. Saving grace for grafting many times... but yeah... they will over do it. I do not let my dairy cows take "their calves"out with them for 2-3 weeks minimum... cows come in to the calves twice a day, then will be with just their calves in a smaller field for several weeks so the calves do not just go looking for an "udder"... Some are worse than others... then finally let the cows out with their calves and still will see them trying any cow they can get up to... some never try other cows.
Immodium pill down their throat to "stop them up".... metamucil or something with psyllium husk does a good job too.... don't need drugs, just something to slow it down, make it thicker... and they will feel fuller so will eventually stop always wanting to nurse...

Many dairy calves seem to be more likely to be willing to graft on to cows, and then steal milk whenever/wherever they can. Saving grace for grafting many times... but yeah... they will over do it. I do not let my dairy cows take "their calves"out with them for 2-3 weeks minimum... cows come in to the calves twice a day, then will be with just their calves in a smaller field for several weeks so the calves do not just go looking for an "udder"... Some are worse than others... then finally let the cows out with their calves and still will see them trying any cow they can get up to... some never try other cows.
Immodium pill down their throat to "stop them up".... metamucil or something with psyllium husk does a good job too.... don't need drugs, just something to slow it down, make it thicker... and they will feel fuller so will eventually stop always wanting to nurse...
I'll have to try psyllium husk. So far the Imodium isn't stopping the flow but it is slowing it enough to give the electrolytes a chance to work. Not being a graft calf and being with her mom I was not expecting robbing. She is finally on the mend thankfully. Less than 24 hours after separating her from the Aberdeen cow. She was very interested in eating and we seem to have her stool firmer.

Last edited:
That's very interesting @Double R Ranch

I've never had a born calf nurse anything but it's mother. Graft calves will most of the time steal anywhere they have a mind to! 😆
I've seen a few here and there in our beef herd over the years. Usually far older and from the back while the natural born calf is nursing. This was her calf on one side and our jersey on the other as if she was grafted. I was watching close for the graft knowing it was a good possibility. Wasn't watching for the heifer who is with her own mom to do it. Learn something new often with animals.