Glad to see I wasn't wrong

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I posted on here yesrs ago about giving an egg to a newborn calf and a few of the experts on here jumped all over me for doing it
Well we have done it for yrs to calves that are struggling and I guess it has been done by several other as well I know they way they are doing it now is alot more advanced but seems from the articles that it has been done the way I did it for yrs by others as well
http://cattletoday.com/archive/2015/January/CT3161.php

Eggs, beer and all kinds of stuff a very smart dairy farmer used to use here. I haven't used eggs but if calf is little off probiotics, electrolytes and multimin 90. 12 hours later you will never know it's same calf. We calve close to 200 dairy cows a year. Have same bottle of Baytril for last 2 years.

I haven't fooled with bottle calves much for a long time but I raised quite a few when I was younger. I always put an egg in the milk every few days, and I never had much trouble with scours, or had one die for any reason.

Some of the better milk replacers are now including dried egg protein in the formulation and I've also seen it in some of the higher quality "milk pellets' which are knock offs of the old Calf Manna but more up to date and higher quality products.

Raw egg binds Biotin ( a B vitamin) so if feeding much straight from the shell raw eggs you should supplement.
Aprille

So does a diet high in grain but we seldom need to do any biotin supplementation except in the case of dairy rations to promote milk production and maintain and improve hoof health.

TexasBred":448dmh9v said:
Some of the better milk replacers are now including dried egg protein in the formulation and I've also seen it in some of the higher quality "milk pellets' which are knock offs of the old Calf Manna but more up to date and higher quality products.

I'm interested in these TB. I supplement my performance horses with calf manna. Are these "knock offs" safe for a horse?

Bigfoot":zwp2y1u5 said:
TexasBred":zwp2y1u5 said:

I'm interested in these TB. I supplement my performance horses with calf manna. Are these "knock offs" safe for a horse?
Yes sir. But many are actually used as top dresses for horse feeds. Usually always have quality ingredients and well fortified. I believe Purina and Cargill both make one as well as ADM. Nothing wrong with the Calf Manna except I don't feel like they've kept up to date with the industry.

If you are a dairy farmer there is absolutely no excuse why your calves do not receive adequate colostrum when born.

TexasBred":3escu5j5 said:
hillsdown":3escu5j5 said:
If you are a dairy farmer there is absolutely no excuse why your calves do not receive adequate colostrum when born.
Absolutely.

Then can anyone explain why it's routinely found in blood tests that they don't? Because there sure are a lot of people pushing it down our throats that we have to tube feed everything even if they're obviously sucking off mum at twenty minutes of age and full as little barrels.
Had an argument with a vet about this last spring. An inexperienced vet.

I've often thought it might be worth keeping a few laying hens just to produce chicks (meat) and give the surplus eggs to the calves, cats and dog.
Maybe I'll do that when I grow up and get my own place.

Eggs and whisky used to be the cure-all for those hopeless calves, haven't heard of anyone treating a sick calf that way in ages.

Latest posts