Gonna Lose a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
I am going to start this thread in the hopes that it will help someone some day. Believe me when I say this is a very painful(expensive) story for me to tell and it is far from over.

It starts a month ago when we PAP tested our bulls for the local all breeds bull sale. I have a real nice purebred red Gelbvieh bull that looked a little off and appeared to have a mild case of footrot starting. After doing the PAP test which involves running a probe into their heart to check the pressure in the pulmonary artery we treated him with LA 300 and some sulfa boluses, maybe a little overkill but we had one of the top vets in the country on hand and he agreed that we needed to knock this out before the sale which was 2 weeks away.

He seemed to be pretty OK afterwards except that he was extending his neck some and kinda choke'y, but he had , had 5 sulfa boluses shot down his throat so we didn't think much of it. After we tested the bulls(29 of them), we hauled them back to the pasture and turned them out and fed them. He appeared to be normal at that time(2pm on Monday) As luck would have it Tuesday is my busiest day and I never go look at the bulls on Tuesday so I rely on the folks I run my cows with to do that. Well that Tuesday turned out to be brutal for them with close to 20 calves being born and some sick ones to doctor and they did not get up to feed the bulls till almost 7pm. When they got there my friend calls me and says we have a dire emergency with your 11 bull I can hear him breathing from 30 yards away.

Of course I drove out there asap. He was in severe distress and had foam coming out of his mouth. When I arrived she was on the phone with the vet who had done the testing and his thought was either a reaction to the sulfa or possibly he had ched up and swallowed a rattlesnake and it had somehow scratched his gullet on the way down. He looked terrible and his neck starting behind the jaw was swollen so bad that we could not find the jugular vein to administer the Banamine IV as the Vet had suggested. We treated him that night with Pennicillan, Dex and Banamine.

Well things are going downhill again. He appeared to improve for a couple of days and then went downhill again. At that point we hauled him to the corral and gave him Draxin, Dex and more Banamine. That seemed to bring him around pretty good and on the advice of the vet I put him on a diet of soaked beet pulp, sweet mix and hay pellets. Soaked into almost a soup to not irritate his esophagus any worse. After 10 days of this I did a BSE on him (because I had him sold) and he failed due to dead swimmers(from the Dex and the 104 fever he had when we brought him in).

Talked to the Vet last night and we decided that this bull was most likely never gonna make it if that much antibiotic had not cured him,. So it looks like he is going to slaughter after he gets past the withdrawl dates. If all I want was to get as much money as possible out of him I could load him up with the banamine and dex and run him throught the sale barn but I don't believe in intentionally screwing someone else down line for a couple of bucks so I will no do that.

What I will do is put him back on the soaked feed and after he is clean to butcher I will sell him direct to the local abattoir and have them save the trachea and esophagus for me when they grind him for burger. If this plan works out I will post some pictures here of the necropsy on the affected parts.

When I know more I will post it here.

Wow, sorry to hear that! I am very interested in what you find on the necropsy... Please do keep us posted. Do you think that something got lodged, like a blood clot, that could have caused this?
Sad either way...

Fire Sweep Ranch":ge94lpet said:
Wow, sorry to hear that! I am very interested in what you find on the necropsy... Please do keep us posted. Do you think that something got lodged, like a blood clot, that could have caused this?
Sad either way...

Thoughts are that it could be an abscess and possibly a walled off abscess that the antibiotics won't touch. We will know in a few weeks if the plan works.

Sorry about your luck with the bull... I also appreciate the fact you do not intentionally screw someone down stream and accept your loss and move on. The world would be a better place if more were honest as you.

That development would be hard to take in any case but knowing the quality of your stock and the fact you had a buyer lined up, even more so. keep us up to date.

I'm also sorry to hear about your bad luck with the bull, but one thing you said really caught my attention. "When I arrived she was on the phone with the vet who had done the testing and his thought was either a reaction to the sulfa or possibly he had ched up and swallowed a rattlesnake and it had somehow scratched his gullet on the way down." Your vet really said that? Has he ever seen a cow eat a rattlesnake?

Rafter S":3fhp115w said:
I'm also sorry to hear about your bad luck with the bull, but one thing you said really caught my attention. "When I arrived she was on the phone with the vet who had done the testing and his thought was either a reaction to the sulfa or possibly he had ched up and swallowed a rattlesnake and it had somehow scratched his gullet on the way down." Your vet really said that? Has he ever seen a cow eat a rattlesnake?

Yes we have. There are areas in this county that are loaded with them and they get baled in the hay all the time. The gal I run my cows with lost a cow last winter and this was looked at as the cause of death. The eat the dried up snake and somehow it scratches the gullet on the way down.

This Vet is no quack. I know for a fact that he is a professor of Veterinary medicine at CSU and has personally PAP tested right at 350,000 cattle. He's a rock star in the world of veterinary medicine.

3waycross":2dgoqcgo said:
Rafter S":2dgoqcgo said:

Yes we have. There are areas in this county that are loaded with them and they get baled in the hay all the time. The gal I run my cows with lost a cow last winter and this was looked at as the cause of death. The eat the dried up snake and somehow it scratches the gullet on the way down.

This Vet is no quack. I know for a fact that he is a professor of Veterinary medicine at CSU and has personally PAP tested right at 350,000 cattle. He's a rock star in the world of veterinary medicine.

I hadn't considered that the snake may have been baled up in hay, so I couldn't figure out how the bull may have eaten one. I didn't mean to bad-mouth your vet. :hide:

This Vet is no quack. I know for a fact that he is a professor of Veterinary medicine at CSU and has personally PAP tested right at 350,000 cattle. He's a rock star in the world of veterinary medicine.[/quote]

I hadn't considered that the snake may have been baled up in hay, so I couldn't figure out how the bull may have eaten one. I didn't mean to bad-mouth your vet. :hide:[/quote]

No problem I had the same reaction as you when it was suggested to me. BTW he is an amazing guy. He pretty much begged me to follow this thru so that it can be a learning experience and maybe help someone else down the line. He is even talking about driving 200 miles one way to do the necropsy himslef on his nickle.

Sorry to hear this 3way. I hope that you get some answers, I hate the unknown worse than anything.

The symptoms sound like aspiration pneumonia. Any chance that he could have accidentally gotten a Sulfa bolus in his lung?

branguscowgirl":16dy1ad2 said:
Sorry to hear this 3way. I hope that you get some answers, I hate the unknown worse than anything.

The symptoms sound like aspiration pneumonia. Any chance that he could have accidentally gotten a Sulfa bolus in his lung?

He doesn't have pnuemonia. We thought the same thing but the other ver who did the BSE listened to his lungs and she says they are clear as a bell. It's something in the trachea or esophagus and unfortunately there's only one really good way to find out.

I'm sure there was a recent topic the same as this, just can't remember which board. It was an allergic reaction from the procedure and whatever shot he had if I recall correctly?

Sucks to lose a good bull like that. Will be very interested to know the results. I had never heard of cows eating a snake that is weird.

wacocowboy":39d0b74c said:
Sucks to lose a good bull like that. Will be very interested to know the results. I had never heard of cows eating a snake that is weird.

No different than them eating bale wrap or twine or wire. If a snake is baled in this climate in August but Jan or Feb he is a mummy

That's some tuff luck. Are you still going to PAP your bulls? So what are we supposed to learn from this? The majority of us we will never have to worry about brisket disease or will we?

Latest posts