Guard rail or go bob fortress fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Going to start a new corral on my farm soon. Starting with a clean slate, looking at around 60x48. I'm torn between 3 rails of guardrail or gobob fortress fence 7 bar. Fortress fence would be 60" tall and 20' sections. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Ky cowboy said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
kenny thomas said:

Go wood.

I'm dealing with a rotting corral now on a lease, it is all just rough cut and locust post. Love the looks of a good wood corral, just wanting something that'll hold up over the years.

I understand. Go Bob seems to be a good product and much better looking than guardrails.

Free standing steel panels, with posts where the panels join. Easy to change, move, and they don't depreciate. In fact you can probably sell them at auction for more than you paid for them.

Silver said:
Free standing steel panels, with posts where the panels join. Easy to change, move, and they don't depreciate. In fact you can probably sell them at auction for more than you paid for them.
What Silver said, I have 10-12 of the free standing panels on a rented pasture. Have set corral up 5 different ways in last 3 years.

Depends on how cheap guard rail is. I have one built with 3 pieces of guard rail. 100' x 100'. Indestructible. But with 3 pieces and the top rail being 6' high, the gaps in between will let a smaller calf escape and sometimes a cow will stick her head through. Cat get out but it's rough on the cow. I'm gonna go back and add a 2x4 in between the gaps.

But, HD portable panels are easier to relocate/reconfigure and they will virtually last forever.

Silver said:

What do you mean by posts....sinking steel or wood in ground?

Or panels with square posts....

You could always put some t posts on outside if pegs in ground do not suffice

greggy said:
Silver said:

What do you mean by posts....sinking steel or wood in ground?

Or panels with square posts....

You could always put some t posts on outside if pegs in ground do not suffice

I always push a 2 7/8" post in the ground to tie the panels to, at least in higher pressure areas.

In race I use bow and slide gates with frames..

But is prob a good idea if set the way you want, how do you think T posts would go ? Our ground is very hard....would take a lot of work for round posts...no pushing them in round here......

greggy said:
In race I use bow and slide gates with frames..

But is prob a good idea if set the way you want, how do you think T posts would go ? Our ground is very hard....would take a lot of work for round posts...no pushing them in round here......

I'm pretty limited on where I can put my corral, not a lot of flat ground, and theres an existing barn I want to utilize for the actual alley and squeeze chute. As far post it's no big deal driving or digging here. We've been driving 8" post all week on fence lines. The alley that'll be in the barn I'll probably make out of rough cut lumber.

Think that is the advantage to panels with pins.....set it up, see if it works etc, then you could make it more permanent by adding posts etc.....

Only thing is they are noisey.....if that bothers you or the stock....

Ok a little update I went with the guardrail. And we have almost all of the post up. But now I have another question, I'm using a bud box so where the cattle go in the alley do I make it the same width as the alley or does it need to be wider. My alley will be 27in wide inside measurement

Ky cowboy said:
Ok a little update I went with the guardrail. And we have almost all of the post up. But now I have another question, I'm using a bud box so where the cattle go in the alley do I make it the same width as the alley or does it need to be wider. My alley will be 27in wide inside measurement

Leave it the same width.

I did my bud box entrance into the alley about a foot wider than the alley and made a slight v into the alley. I wish I made the v wider, like close to twice the width of the alley. It works, but I think cattle are much more willing to go into the alley if it starts wide

Latest posts