Hard boiled eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
A little secret that probably everyone knew except me. If when you hard boil eggs the yoke has that greenish look to the outside of the yoke, put raw eggs in the water when you first put it on to boil. When it starts to boil, let it boil for 10 minutes then cool/chill the eggs quickly. No green color or sulphurish taste.

Another way is to put them in cold water and bring them to a boil then remove from heat and them sit in the water ten minutes and remove. The green is from overcooking. Sticking a pen through the shell before doing this will make them shell easier too.

Fresh eggs are still sometimes hard to peal even if you do that and you end up losing a lot of the white . So if I have to make deviled eggs or potato salad then I try to use older eggs .

hillsdown":q8t4nbnp said:
Fresh eggs are still sometimes hard to peal even if you do that and you end up losing a lot of the white . So if I have to make deviled eggs or potato salad then I try to use older eggs .
You can soak them for a while in vinager and the shell desolves. Trick I learned when we were raising quail and selling pickled eggs.

dun":2mv1d8sn said:
hillsdown":2mv1d8sn said:
You can soak them for a while in vinager and the shell desolves. Trick I learned when we were raising quail and selling pickled eggs.

I have tried that too and it didn't make a difference with the small ones .

hillsdown":2m86mgp3 said:
dun":2m86mgp3 said:
hillsdown":2m86mgp3 said:

I have tried that too and it didn't make a difference with the small ones .
Takes forever with quail eggs. The shells are about half again as thick as a chicken egg. Trying to crack those things by hand is a real PITA.

Pre heat oven to 325 place your eggs in a muffin pan, bake 30min, cool in an ice bath,

They peak easier too.

We have chickens and the eggs are always fresh, I always tore them up trying to peel them. I read somewhere to steam them instead of boiling, and lo and behold it works. Steam them for about 15 minutes, shock them in cold water, peel right away. Probably similar to the oven method, I might have to try that one, too.

As far as the dark ring around the yolks, I was always told that was due to overcooking.

dun":2vpjfouh said:
A little secret that probably everyone knew except me. If when you hard boil eggs the yoke has that greenish look to the outside of the yoke, put raw eggs in the water when you first put it on to boil. When it starts to boil, let it boil for 10 minutes then cool/chill the eggs quickly. No green color or sulphurish taste.
Does it affect the smell of the "toots" for the better or have you checked that out yet?? :lol: :lol:

dun":2u6lb7zq said:

I never paid much attention to the sulphurish taste.. The green color though is weird but still ate it.

Latest posts