Hardjo bovis. - HB

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I was in a farm supply yesterday looking for Spirovac VL5 or L5. It is produced by Zoetis. I got 2 bred heifers I bought at the Kentucky Simmental Sale a month or so ago. When I vaccinated this week, I used Titanium FP 5 L5 HB. I was afraid to use it on the heifers because I don't know their vaccination history. They may have never been exposed to a MLV Fetal Protection vaccine and the IBR component can cause abortions in cattle not previously exposed to MLV FP in the last 12 months. All my cattle have so no issue there.

I looked through the vaccine case and there was no vaccine for Leptospira that covered Leptospira borgpetersenii or the more common designation Hardjo bovis as abbreviated HB. They had Leptoferm. They had Bovi Shild Gold FP 5 L5, etc.

I mentioned this to their vaccine guy and he said "Oh yes, Leptoferm covers Hardjo." I said yes, "It covers the Species Leptospira hardjo but not the Hardjo bovis serovar". We discussed it for 20 minutes and it was clear that he thought any vaccine that had the word "hardjo" on it covered all the strains.

Leptoferm and Spirovac are both Leptospira vaccines. Both made by Zoetis. But only Spirovac covers Hardjo bovis (Leptospira borgpetersenii). Leptoferm does not.

I showed this to him on my cell phone by looking up the manufacturer's brochure for Spirovac. He had no idea they were different.

In the case of Spirovac, it does not have HB in the name for the vaccine but it does cover HB. Most other vaccines use the "HB" to indicate it covers Hardjo bovis (Leptospira borgpetersenii). For example, all the Bovi Shield Gold products that cover HB use HB at the end of the title. Titanium 5 L5 does, it is listed as Titanium 5 L5 HB.

You just got to wonder how many producers are getting bad information.

Katy bar the door if they're relying on "farm stores" for enlightenment.
I showed this to him on my cell phone by looking up the manufacturer's brochure for Spirovac. He had no idea they were different.
Duh. My point exactly.

Bright Raven said:
I was in a farm supply yesterday looking for Spirovac VL5 or L5. It is produced by Zoetis. I got 2 bred heifers I bought at the Kentucky Simmental Sale a month or so ago. When I vaccinated this week, I used Titanium FP 5 L5 HB. I was afraid to use it on the heifers because I don't know their vaccination history. They may have never been exposed to a MLV Fetal Protection vaccine and the IBR component can cause abortions in cattle not previously exposed to MLV FP in the last 12 months. All my cattle have so no issue there.

I looked through the vaccine case and there was no vaccine for Leptospira that covered Leptospira borgpetersenii or the more common designation Hardjo bovis as abbreviated HB. They had Leptoferm. They had Bovi Shild Gold FP 5 L5, etc.

I mentioned this to their vaccine guy and he said "Oh yes, Leptoferm covers Hardjo." I said yes, "It covers the Species Leptospira hardjo but not the Hardjo bovis serovar". We discussed it for 20 minutes and it was clear that he thought any vaccine that had the word "hardjo" on it covered all the strains.

Leptoferm and Spirovac are both Leptospira vaccines. Both made by Zoetis. But only Spirovac covers Hardjo bovis (Leptospira borgpetersenii). Leptoferm does not.

In the case of Spirovac, it does not have HB in the name for the vaccine but it does cover HB. Most other vaccines use the "HB" to indicate it covers Hardjo bovis (Leptospira borgpetersenii). For example, all the Bovi Shield Gold products that cover HB use HB at the end of the title. Titanium 5 L5 does, it is listed as Titanium 5 L5 HB.

Their very lucky to have you as a customer Raven. I'm sure they count their blessings every time you walk in...... :D

callmefence said:
Bright Raven said:

Their very lucky to have you as a customer Raven. I'm sure they count their blessings every time you walk in...... :D

:cboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Vaccines can be soooo confusing. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose - LOL
Could you use a Cattlemaster product?
Best if you just call the previous owners & find the vaccine history.

I found Spirovac VL5 at my vet. My objective was to cover them for Leptospira including HB. As soon as they have their calves, I will vaccinate them with Bovi Bovi Shield Gold FP 5. Now that they are covered for Campylobacter fetus and L5 + HB, I can use the BSG FP 5 without lepto.

It does get confusing.

wbvs58 said:
He'd have to be a brave man to get into an argument with this sort of thing with you Ron. I wouldn't.

Ken

He didn't. I have known him for years. In fact, he was honestly happy to get the information. Studies I have read, suggest 80 % of the cases of leptospirosis are caused by HB.

If you vaccinate for BVD what do you use for the type 1B? It seems that's the major one in the area and it was stated in a meeting last week that no one had a vaccine for it.

kenny thomas said:
If you vaccinate for BVD what do you use for the type 1B? It seems that's the major one in the area and it was stated in a meeting last week that no one had a vaccine for it.

Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 and all of it's other combinations cover Type 1 and 2 BVD. I will do some looking but I remember reading about Type 1 B. Seems that it has some kind of limitation.

I posted this previously on CT:

There is an article in Cow Country, March 2019. It states that the currently available BVD vaccines including the ones commonly known as the "Fetal Protection" vaccines protect against BVDV 1a and BVDV 2a strains but NOT the BVDV 1b strain. It also states that the "most common strain of BVD virus currently circulating on farms in the United States is BVDV 1b" even though BVDV 1a and BVDV 2a were previously the most prevalent strains.

I use Bovi Shield Gold MLV Fetal Protection vaccine made by Zoetis so I called their Veterinary Services. The Zoetis Veterinarian informed me that even though not stated on the label or in their pamphlet, the BOVI SHIELD GOLD FP 5 and all its various combinations of preparations, provide "an adequate level of protection against BVDV 1b". The component that provides immunity for BVDV 1b is expensive to prepare and has not yet met the regulatory requirements for placing it on the label.

PS: the only vaccine I checked on was Zoetis Bovi Shield Gold. I don't know the status of any other BVD vaccines on the market. My guess would be that the vast majority do no cover strain BVDV 1b and because it is a new addition to the components of the BVD vaccines!

According to that, if you use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5, you also get adequate protection for 1b.

kenny thomas said:
BI stated in a meeting last week that the type prevelent now is the 1B and no company had a vaccine for it including them.

I called Zoetis about this. According to their corporate vet, even though it is not affirmed on the label, Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 DOES provide adequate immunity to 1B.

The Zoetis Veterinarian informed me that even though not stated on the label or in their pamphlet, the BOVI SHIELD GOLD FP 5 and all its various combinations of preparations, provide "an adequate level of protection against BVDV 1b". The component that provides immunity for BVDV 1b is expensive to prepare and has not yet met the regulatory requirements for placing it on the label.

Bright Raven said:
kenny thomas said:
BI stated in a meeting last week that the type prevelent now is the 1B and no company had a vaccine for it including them.

I called Zoetis about this. According to their corporate vet, even though it is not affirmed on the label, Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 DOES provide adequate immunity to 1B.

The Zoetis Veterinarian informed me that even though not stated on the label or in their pamphlet, the BOVI SHIELD GOLD FP 5 and all its various combinations of preparations, provide "an adequate level of protection against BVDV 1b". The component that provides immunity for BVDV 1b is expensive to prepare and has not yet met the regulatory requirements for placing it on the label.
Thank you. Seems if they have it and no other company does they would advertize it

kenny thomas said:
Bright Raven said:
kenny thomas said:

Thank you. Seems if they have it and no other company does they would advertize it

They don't have USDA approval. I was told once the safety and efficacy is determined and approved, they will be permitted to make that assertion on the label.

kenny thomas said:
Thank you, so at this point no company can prove they have the vaccine?

I would not say they cannot prove it. I would say based on my conversation with the Zoetis Customer Service Vet that they cannot state it. This is all based on one conversation. So take that into consideration but based on that, the best potential for immunity right now is to use one of the Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 vaccines.

kenny thomas said:

Are you sure they said that? Who was the person giving the presentation? Was it Dr. Steve Falk? I suspect you were not paying close attention. They got approval for on label protection in 2015!

Boehringer Ingelheim has two vaccines specifically labeled for BVDV type 1b.

Pyramid® 5 + Presponse® SQ from BI is now labeled for protection against respiratory disease caused by BVDV Type 1b for at least 217 days.

Express® FP vaccine for cows — labeled to prevent PI calves including BVDV Type 1b for 365 days.

Below is the announcement of the approval of the Boehringer Ingelheim statement of protection for BVDV type 1b. Note the date - 2015. Kenny you were either not paying attention, sipping moonshine, or the person doing the presentation was actually working for Zoetis and trying to hurt BI's position in the drug industry.

https://www.bi-vetmedica.com/species/cattle/Cattle_Press_Releases/pyramid_5_presponsesqapprovedforextendedbvd1bprotection.html

PS: just remember, Bovi Shield Gold MLV vaccines for BVD also cover BVDV Type 1b but they have not gotten approval to label as such. In fact, sometimes seeking approval is like this: the juice ain't worth the squeeze!

No idea what it covers or don't but we have been using the Pyramid 5 + presponse vaccine as part of our protocol for the Hereford Influence and CPH sales, we get it through our vet.

Ky hills said:
No idea what it covers or don't but we have been using the Pyramid 5 + presponse vaccine as part of our protocol for the Hereford Influence and CPH sales, we get it through our vet.

It's a very good product. Just keep in mind that it does not include a Leptospira component.

Latest posts