Hardjo bovis. - HB

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
Ky hills said:
No idea what it covers or don't but we have been using the Pyramid 5 + presponse vaccine as part of our protocol for the Hereford Influence and CPH sales, we get it through our vet.

It's a very good product. Just keep in mind that it does not include a Leptospira component.

We use the Pyramid 10 for cows

Bright Raven said:
Below is the announcement of the approval of the Boehringer Ingelheim statement of protection for BVDV type 1b. Note the date - 2015. Kenny you were either not paying attention, sipping moonshine, or the person doing the presentation was actually working for Zoetis and trying to hurt BI's position in the drug industry.

https://www.bi-vetmedica.com/species/cattle/Cattle_Press_Releases/pyramid_5_presponsesqapprovedforextendedbvd1bprotection.html

PS: just remember, Bovi Shield Gold MLV vaccines for BVD also cover BVDV Type 1b but they have not gotten approval to label as such. In fact, sometimes seeking approval is like this: the juice ain't worth the squeeze!
I'm not going to argue with you and make it personal like you have calling me a drunk that wasn't paying attention. The speaker was a vet representative of BI and stated that the BVD 1B was still the problem they were finding and no vaccines were preventing it including theirs. I respect your info but you have made it personal.

kenny thomas said:
Bright Raven said:
Below is the announcement of the approval of the Boehringer Ingelheim statement of protection for BVDV type 1b. Note the date - 2015. Kenny you were either not paying attention, sipping moonshine, or the person doing the presentation was actually working for Zoetis and trying to hurt BI's position in the drug industry.

https://www.bi-vetmedica.com/species/cattle/Cattle_Press_Releases/pyramid_5_presponsesqapprovedforextendedbvd1bprotection.html

PS: just remember, Bovi Shield Gold MLV vaccines for BVD also cover BVDV Type 1b but they have not gotten approval to label as such. In fact, sometimes seeking approval is like this: the juice ain't worth the squeeze!
I'm not going to argue with you and make it personal like you have calling me a drunk that wasn't paying attention. The speaker was a vet representative of BI and stated that the BVD 1B was still the problem they were finding and no vaccines were preventing it including theirs. I respect your info but you have made it personal.

Can you be more clear? First you said and I quote: "... no company had a vaccine for it including them."

Now you say a vet said "the BVD 1B was still the problem..."

Not having a vaccine and having problems with a vaccine are two different issues.

My point is clearly demonstrated - they do have a vaccine for BVD 1B.

I apologize if the comment about you sipping moonshine offended you. It was intended as humor.

Well let me rephrase it. He stated that no vaccines were taking care of the problem including theirs. So it's the same as having no vaccines for it. I can say I have vaccine for being an idiot but if it doesn't work it's the same as not having one.
I'm seeking a product to take care of an issue that is giving problem in the industry. According to the speaker we have no product yet.
Oh, and at this time KY is the only state that says the animal cannot leave the farm after testing positive for BVD. It must be slaughtered or disposed of properly.

kenny thomas said:
Well let me rephrase it. He stated that no vaccines were taking care of the problem including theirs. So it's the same as having no vaccines for it. I can say I have vaccine for being an idiot but if it doesn't work it's the same as not having one.
I'm seeking a product to take care of an issue that is giving problem in the industry. According to the speaker we have no product yet.
Oh, and at this time KY is the only state that says the animal cannot leave the farm after testing positive for BVD. It must be slaughtered or disposed of properly.

Thank you. Testing seropositive for BVD may only mean the animal was vaccinated. When an animal is vaccinated the immune response makes them seropositive for BVD. I don't see how they would enforce that Kenny. Every cow on my farm will test seropositive for BVD. It would take 2 blood tests separated by 2 weeks to determine if the positive test is due to vaccination versus having the clinical disease. I suspect that the animal would have to show clinical signs of disease in addition to testing positive, otherwise, no one could ship vaccinated cows out of state. Or they would have to hold them for 2 weeks to run a PCR.

I will attempt to get a copy of the presentation. It was stated that KY was being productive and if tested positive they can not leave the farm.

kenny thomas said:
I will attempt to get a copy of the presentation. It was stated that KY was being productive and if tested positive they can not leave the farm.

I would like to get a copy. If it is in electronic format, there may be a way to transmit it on the web or by email. Also, BI may be able to send it or they may have a version on their website that can be downloaded. Thanks.

kenny thomas said:

Kenny. This comes from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. April 5, 2016. Robert C. Stout, State Veterinarian.

The tests for BVD is not for antibodies. The tests are:

* Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR): Not BVD-PI specific Used to test pooled samples to reduce cost of testing.

* Antigen-ELISA: BVD-PI "specific" is a one time test; Used to test individual samples from a PCR positive pool in order to identify individual BVD-PI animal.

There are two clinical conditions involving BVD. One is infected with BVD and the other is BVD-PI. Which is persistently infected and shedding viruses. The tests for the two are different. The PI test uses a wedge of ear tissue. Here is a slide that discusses the BVD-PI test.

Here are the guidelines setup by the office of the State Veterinarian to control BVD and BVD-PI in the State of Kentucky.

This is the Kentucky State Statue used to control the movement of diseased animals.

October 17, 2019

Conversation with Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health
Duluth, GA
1-800-325-9167

I inquired as to the Efficacy of two of their livestock vaccines:

Pyramid 5 + Presponse SQ
Express FP

I stated that their website advertises that the above 2 vaccines protects against BVDV Type 1b. I ask if I can confirm rumors that, in fact, those vaccines are not effective against BVDV Type 1b.

The person whom I spoke to said that there is no validity to that rumor. The customer service technician confirmed that both vaccines are listed as effective in protecting against BVDV Type 1b and their research continues to show they are effective.

I ask if they were aware that a veterinarian representing himself as a BI employee is going around and making presentations in which they are alleging that those two vaccines are ineffective. The customer service technician doubted that claim.

The technician went on to direct me to the patented organic compound in the two vaccines that make then effective against BVDV Type 1b. The compound is SINGER 1A CYTOPATHIC. The technician provided this reference, it is long, 43 pages:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC227002/

BVD-PI testing is required in NY for any shows/sales. I test all my females and bulls. I don't bother testing the steers because I have tested for soooo many years and vaccinate heavily, that vet does not think it is even close to being necessary. I do all females and bulls because it is a lifetime test, so they are free to show/sell and if someone buys one, they don't have to test them.

I'd like to claim that I give my calves Pyramid FP 5 + Presponse because I know it protects against 1b, but in all honesty it's because it's what my vet told me to do. :dunce:

Latest posts