Hay field pics...

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
It's not looking very promising up here right now. Still haven't had a total of one inch of rain since the snow left. The weather man is calling for rain this week, and if it happens it will help some but a little late to really make a big difference.

Mixed alfalfa, brome, timothy:
2lm0ymp.jpg

Meadow foxtail. I know some folks like it, I'm not a fan in our situation, although I'll be happy enough to have it this year:
2yoqyk9.jpg

First year hay, I had higher hopes for this:
103bcdt.jpg

At any rate, we are a ways a way from cutting hay, hoping for some good "second growth" 8)

That meadow foxtail is supposedly pretty nutritious if put up in time. Would you agree? I planted some garrison creeping Foxtail in some low areas that hold water longer 2 years ago. I'm just now starting to see it take. Slow starting, but once it grabs it really goes. The cows love it.

Foxtail looks ready to bale to me, but I don't know about how long you let meadow foxtail go. All looks good and green.
Good Luck

sim.-ang.king said:
Foxtail looks ready to bale to me, but I don't know about how long you let meadow foxtail go. All looks good and green.
Good Luck

I would be haying it now but there is a bunch of rain in the forecast. Hopefully soon, it is getting past its best at a rapid rate.

If it weren't for Meadow Foxtail here we would be wintering half the cows we have.

It is a weed that loves abuse, no commercial fertilizer and only water to make a crop. At times it likes a herd wintered on the weak spots. Cut earlier than later it has a fairly good feed value. Our cows quite enjoy it.

Wishing you rain sooner than later Silver.

Latest posts