Hay rolls for target practice

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
This year I needed to sight in my 30-30 the day before deer season. Didn't have a safe a safe backstop area handy and set a target on the bottom third of the end of a hay roll and touched off four shots.
Now I am wondering if that was a good idea. Should I worry about feeding this roll to the cows?

I wouldn't.. cost of a cow vs cost of the hay just doesn't make it worth the risk.. Knowing my luck it would just be my best cow that gets lead poisoning too

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes....
I've had more than my share. Something that seemed like a good idea at the time turned all wrong.
I'd personally burn that bale.
No way I'd want a cow to eat a bullet and get sick or die. Most likely, if the bullet mushroomed at all, I'd be concerned about it tearing up her insides if she ate it.

Logan52 said:
If a cow did ingest one of the 175 grain lead slugs, would she get lead poisoning?

since the lead is heavy, it'll stay in the rumen indefinitely, coupled with the warmth and acid, it probably would start to dissolve
If cows get lead poisoning from just licking an old car battery, I don't imagine a piece of lead inside them is going to be any better

I can't add to what others have said but,if I could,I'd like to make one suggestion.

In the next year,try to find some used railroad ties and stack them.With a little dirt or some sand bags behind them you should have a good backstop for a 30/30.
Here we have enough hills bullet travel isn't the problem.It's finding some where level to shoot where we don't have cows or neighbors beyond.We've talked about doing the same thing I suggested."Maybe this year" :D Still wouldn't trust it completely for a barrier in the direction of someone's home or camp.

I can't add to what others have said but,if I could,I'd like to make one suggestion.

In the next year,try to find some used railroad ties and stack them.With a little dirt or some sand bags behind them you should have a good backstop for a 30/30. I still wouldn't trust it if someone's home was behind it.Things do go wrong even with good plans.
Here we have enough hills bullet travel isn't the problem.It's finding somewhere level to shoot where we don't have cows or neighbors beyond.We've talked about doing the same thing I suggested."Maybe this year" :D

At 200 bucks plus a roll, and plenty of ranges around, no way would I be firing anything into it....

But now that you have, you want to feed the results to your animals ? I would not, not unless they were copper jacketed and you found the slugs first

Knew a guy who used a roll of hay as a backstop every year. He had cattle and horses. He unrolled the roll before feeding and never had a problem. He unrolled all his hay all the time. But that was his choice.

I suppose it depends on what the stock is worth and if they are expected to have a long productive life.

I would not want any lead in my animals.

Our culture has changed maybe, cause I would drive to the range for this, but I also am careful with lead for myself as well, change clothes and proper wash, no eating or smoking while on range etc...compared to could not care less40 yrs ago

When we were kids we used to keep the lead air rifle pellets in our mouths while walking around hunting. Wouldn't let my kids do that! I would use that hay, I'd just unroll it and have a good look through it. Or maybe just use it for bedding or mulch.

curious how far away was the bale that you shot into? and how far do you think the 30-30 penetrated the bale?

greggy said:
At 200 bucks plus a roll, and plenty of ranges around, no way would I be firing anything into it....

But now that you have, you want to feed the results to your animals ? I would not, not unless they were copper jacketed and you found the slugs first
I have to ask, what kind of hay are you buying that's worth $200 a roll?

Well...a lot are dearer than that...produce store was 360 last year...

All about the same....oaten....wheaten...barley...lucerne....even just mixed meadow grass....

Drought been bad for a few years...also why the fires are so bad...everything is dry..

Also why a lot of breeding stock has gone for meat....people been de stocking for years now...I thought it may have broken by now....people feeding hay most of the year...so prices just head one way.. .

ccr said:
curious how far away was the bale that you shot into? and how far do you think the 30-30 penetrated the bale?

Would depend on hay and how tight bale was, but it would go a fair way in, it wont be coming out......would also depend on projectile etc....

It would be a pain in the rear to find and that assumes it stayed together...if doing multiple shots....

kenny thomas said:
greggy said:

I have to ask, what kind of hay are you buying that's worth $200 a roll?

What are you buying rolls of lucerne or cereal hay for ?

I think I saw talk of 60 bucks?

farmerjan said:
Knew a guy who used a roll of hay as a backstop every year. He had cattle and horses. He unrolled the roll before feeding and never had a problem. He unrolled all his hay all the time. But that was his choice.
seems like the ones that don't care,always get away with stuff Better then the cautious ones. :cowboy:

Latest posts