Herd bull selection time

Help Support CattleToday:

But I thought the purpose of a Registered herd was to have cattle that bred to type. The only way to do that is inbreeding.
When we create new corn hybrids, we inbreed for 7 generations and then cross the inbreds to get heterosis. The end product is much more predictable.

Davemk":uwq9wzbg said:
But I thought the purpose of a Registered herd was to have cattle that bred to type. The only way to do that is inbreeding.
When we create new corn hybrids, we inbreed for 7 generations and then cross the inbreds to get heterosis. The end product is much more predictable.
Modern livestock breeding is not about the genetics and individual breeder herd development and control. It is about marketing, coat tail effects, the power of advertising and many following the few. Names sell. Forget trying to make your own unless you are monied enough to pave your own trail to glory. Once a species is integrated, then the genetics are key but not so much breeds and people. Then the genes become proprietary.

Unless you have guts.

Dave and EB
I am not afraid to breed 1/2 sibs have done it numerous times, linebreeding as Eb said is not for the faint of heart. In this case I would not be scared to use either of the Charlo calves but from the beginning I have had the Renown calf on my short list. I feel i do a pretty good job breeding cattle, I also think they are pretty consistent in type and kind. I have a breeding plan and stick to it. I do use new bulls but not unless they have the genetic makeup that fits my plan. I also admit that having the C11 cow in the pedigree of E22 is a huge factor. I have used several bulls from the 658 cow in our program I like them and wanted to plug more of that genetic back into the equation.

Edited to add I went back and looked E22 will be breeding 7 heifers that either have 658 on the dam or sire side.

Gizmom

gizmom":18l7r2x6 said:
Dave and EB
I am not afraid to breed 1/2 sibs have done it numerous times, linebreeding as Eb said is not for the faint of heart. In this case I would not be scared to use either of the Charlo calves but from the beginning I have had the Renown calf on my short list. I feel i do a pretty good job breeding cattle, I also think they are pretty consistent in type and kind. I have a breeding plan and stick to it. I do use new bulls but not unless they have the genetic makeup that fits my plan. I also admit that having the C11 cow in the pedigree of E22 is a huge factor. I have used several bulls from the 658 cow in our program I like them and wanted to plug more of that genetic back into the equation.

Edited to add I went back and looked E22 will be breeding 7 heifers that either have 658 on the dam or sire side.

Gizmom

Looks like you have a plan and are sticking to it. Your cattle look really good in the pictures.

The vet was out today to do BSE exams on all of our young bulls and the two older bulls we used last year and plan to use again this year. Total of 31 BSE's, 28 fourteen month old bulls, one thirteen month old and two 26 month old bulls. Had one 14 month old deferred the rest passed. All three of my short list calves passed. I was pretty with the results.

The two year olds

D26 is a Recharge out of our 811 cow (811 has been one of my favorites since birth)

D45 is an ET calf out of Resource and SAV Blackcap May 2315

We haves calves on the ground out of both these young bulls and they are really nice.

Gizmom

snoopdog":9q2smxgk said:
Well, E19 was my pick, just read this, because of the sc and higher yw, and I don't see anything wrong with his pic

Mine too. And then I seen the pic and still would've picked him. I don't know if there was a wrong choice. Good looking bulls.

Thanks JMJ here is E11 he is one of the flush brothers to E19

E23 another flush brother to E19

E25 another flush brother to E19

E38 another flush brother to E19

E19

I have two more E34 and E48 but don't have photos of them at least none I can find. The E34 bull sold yesterday so he will be heading to a new home on Monday.

They are all pretty consistent.

Gizmom

Gizmom we were told yesterday "your - our" bull #58 was the calmest bull to ever come through the UGA Veterinary teaching hospital. And this year's bulls look even better.

Latest posts