Hired help, hourly wage?

Help Support CattleToday:

brute, you must be making more off those cattle then you let on.. cleaning ladies, babysitters, lawn care..

I gotta do all that myself.

ddd75":j1uh6tfu said:
brute, you must be making more off those cattle then you let on.. cleaning ladies, babysitters, lawn care..

LOL....you need to find a better paycheck job.....or some mailbox money. ;)

I just joined in on this conversation but this is my tidbit.
I would probably say $5 an hour until he is able do the work himself and do it well. Then I would increase it to $10 if you think his work is worth $10. He's not there to make a living and he's also the one asking you for a job. If it were the other way around it may be different.
If he can do his work well enough to make your life easier and give you less things to do then $10 seems fair. That's what you get around here for horse barns.

Started working at a feed mill/cotton gin when I was 10, loading 50lb sacks of feed and fertilizer to customers (dad was the owner). made $10 a week plus breakfast and lunch. At 11, got $20 a week. Today, I mow yards as a side job, if I'm tired, I'll pay $20 an hour for weed-eating, usually don't last over 1 to 1 and half hours. Well worth it!!!!!

1982vett":2holi6vh said:
ddd75":2holi6vh said:

There are times when it feels like it goes in one end and out the other.

A cleaning lady is the best money you will ever spend IMO. There is nothing like coming home from from being gone to fresh sheets, clean floores, no dirty dishes, ect.

Its all about priorities. A lot of people smoke, drink, eat, party, their $$$ away. You have to remember I also don't have cable or satellite tv and live in a house that is less than half my annual income.

If it comes to going to a bar or satellite tv vs my cleaning lady... she will win hands down every time.

Brute 23":37mvwzzi said:
1982vett":37mvwzzi said:
ddd75":37mvwzzi said:

A cleaning lady is the best money you will ever spend IMO. There is nothing like coming home from from being gone to fresh sheets, clean floores, no dirty dishes, ect.

Its all about priorities. A lot of people smoke, drink, eat, party, their $$$ away. You have to remember I also don't have cable or satellite tv and live in a house that is less than half my annual income.

If it comes to going to a bar or satellite tv vs my cleaning lady... she will win hands down every time.

Very well put; it's all about what is important to you. I had city water ran to my farm last year. Due to the terrain and distance, it cost a pretty penny. I had some people look at me like I was giving up an arm. If I had told them I spent that much on a new boat, vacation, or some other luxury, I'm sure they would have given me their look of approval. Personally, I feel like water is pretty important, and I haven't for one minute regretted having it put in.

Some of these stories about people working in their youth reminds me of the old story of how our grandparents walked to school in a foot of snow and it was uphill both ways.

herofan":lgqe0l2k said:
Brute 23":lgqe0l2k said:
1982vett":lgqe0l2k said:

Very well put; it's all about what is important to you. I had city water ran to my farm last year. Due to the terrain and distance, it cost a pretty penny. I had some people look at me like I was giving up an arm. If I had told them I spent that much on a new boat, vacation, or some other luxury, I'm sure they would have given me their look of approval. Personally, I feel like water is pretty important, and I haven't for one minute regretted having it put in.

Some of these stories about people working in their youth reminds me of the old story of how our grandparents walked to school in a foot of snow and it was uphill both ways.

Yup, very true.

Ryder":1rtnsc56 said:
Hero I don't know how old you are but all of those stories about people working in their youth are not tall tales.
Been there. Done that.

You can usually tell the one's that had to hump it for a living.

True Grit Farms":30mio60s said:
Ryder":30mio60s said:
Hero I don't know how old you are but all of those stories about people working in their youth are not tall tales.
Been there. Done that.

You can usually tell the one's that had to hump it for a living.

maybe thats why i get offered jobs all the time by people in stores.

"Hey, you look like you work"

thats the comment i get all the time.. then they want to hire me for some job. works out

Ryder":15aezpy8 said:
Been there. Done that.

I know. I don't doubt them, I'm always just a little amused at how quickly people like to share such stories.
I heard some stand-up from Jay Leno once; he said that his parents were always quick to let him know how rough it used to be, even if you were at the table and said, "Could you pass the salt," his dad would go into a speech about how "we didn't have salt when I was a kid............."

I'm 50, and I've always enjoyed hearing such stories. I also remember the days when work meant actual physical labor instead of riding in a truck or tractor all day. When I was a kid helping my grandfather, he didn't have a corn or hay elevator, but he did have a corn scoop and some strong backs. When we put a fence around a field, we did it with hand diggers, and when we needed a load of gravel hauled to fix our roads, we had a pick-up bed and a shovel.

I've caught myself a few times saying, "When I was growing up, we............." Then I see the uninterested faces and remind myself that I'm sounding like my grandparents used to sound, and I wrap the story up rather quickly.

I worked on our family rig as young as 12 years old (no hyd tongues)... mowed my first neighbors lawn at 8 for money... we didn't get round bales, a cab tractor, or post hole auger until I was in my teens. My dad was very clear he wanted us to experience that early on so we would not have any romantic notions about it. We all experienced directly and indirectly the toll that life style takes on a person and their family. My dad did not want that for us and made it blatantly clear.

I think people who have experienced true hard work don't romanticize it. Its the people who who kind of ran down the edge that like to hype it up. You see the same thing with war. The guys that really experienced it in the trenches rarely have much to say about it. Those that kind of dipped their toes in tend to tell all the "war stories".

Thats just my .02

The rancher I have been helping this winter has a grandson and another young man (both 17) that he can hire. The thing is that paying by the hour just doesn't work. The two of them can work. But they also spend a lot of time playing grab azz with each other. So he pays them by the job. So much to do the job and done right. If it takes them two days they make real good money. If they screw around or don't do it right the first time, well they still make the same money. It will just work out to a lot less per hour.

The biggest problem I run in to is people trying to work like 5 or 6 hour days. They want to show up at 10 and work until 4 or some goofy deal like that. People have no drive to get out and get moving in the am. I don't expect people to work all day long but I do like them to get started early so if we run in to any problems we can start resolving them as early as possible.

Brute 23":1cvi801a said:
I worked on our family rig as young as 12 years old (no hyd tongues)... mowed my first neighbors lawn at 8 for money... we didn't get round bales, a cab tractor, or post hole auger until I was in my teens. My dad was very clear he wanted us to experience that early on so we would not have any romantic notions about it. We all experienced directly and indirectly the toll that life style takes on a person and their family. My dad did not want that for us and made it blatantly clear.

I think people who have experienced true hard work don't romanticize it. Its the people who who kind of ran down the edge that like to hype it up. You see the same thing with war. The guys that really experienced it in the trenches rarely have much to say about it. Those that kind of dipped their toes in tend to tell all the "war stories".

Thats just my .02

Very good post. I have had the same thoughts, but you described it really well. My grandparents on both sides were farmers all their lives, and they experienced some true hard work and hard times during their lives. They always hoped my brother and I could have an easier path.

"Easier" isn't a dirty word when one had the experiences of working that they had. Heck, who wouldn't wish their kids could have opportunities to give them a better way than truly breaking your back all your life; there is nothing romantic about it.

I remember work-stories from my grandparents too, but they were usually told in a weary tone and far from bragging.

I remember an old timer once saying that people who say they enjoy work and want to work all Time aren't working too hard.

I started at 21 cents an hour. Working for my dad on construction. I was 12 and I would get 2 dollars a day before taxes. I picked up scraps, carried lumber, fetched all kinds of tools and cords and whatever the crew needed. Worst was nailing sub flooring. When i Got a "real job" In a soda fountain at 1.25 per hour, I thought I had it made.

Brute 23":pbwllbw3 said:

Thats just my .02

The more I think about your statement, the
more I like it. It's very true and well worded. I'd like to frame this and put it on my wall.

Latest posts