horsenettle!

Help Support CattleToday:

domino

Reaction score
Please give some advice on the best way to control horsenettle. Never had it on the place until the last 3-4 years and it seems to be taking over! Sprayed last year with Grazon and it helped but it's right back. :help:

This topic may already be on here but I couldn't find anything. Is there a way to search by topic? There are things I would like to search for but don't have time to look at everything.

domino":358p4lui said:
Please give some advice on the best way to control horsenettle. Never had it on the place until the last 3-4 years and it seems to be taking over! Sprayed last year with Grazon and it helped but it's right back. :help:

This topic may already be on here but I couldn't find anything. Is there a way to search by topic? There are things I would like to search for but don't have time to look at everything.

Grazon in the late spring ad 2,4-d in the fall. After a couple of years you'll start getting a pretty good handle on it.

Thanks!

:?: I have another question about this stuff. Anybody heard of cows dying from these things. I know my cows eat around them cuz they've got enough grass but what if there wasn't enought to eat? Can it kill a cow? Make them sick?

Horse knettle is bianual meaning the seeds it drops this summer will not come up the following summer but the summer afterwords.

So it will take 2 or 3 years to get it under control. And if you are going to use grazon to control it. Dont spray it until it blooms out. It wont asorb the grazon util it is bloomed out.

Make sure that it is horsenettle that you have. Another weed that is much more invasive looks almost just like it except it is bigger. Tropical soda apple is invading much of the south.

it is just a matter of size. Horsenettle also makes a seed ball much like the one on Tropical soda apple. I don't think it is striped and then it turns yellow.

cowboyup216":30gz6vay said:
It can definitely kill cattle, dogs, sheep, people. Heck horsenettle is a member of the nightshade family. Its highly poisonous and some of the plants even sting you. Are the flowers purple or white?

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/poison/plants/pphorne.htm

http://www.all-creatures.org/picb/wfshl ... ettle.html

Which believe it or not tomatoes are as well but its only the leaves of the tomatoe plant that are poisonous to animals.

It is starting to take over this year as well even though we didnt have any last year. Rag weed has really taken over as well. However, my cattle do not eat either. The horse nettle we have hear is the stinging kind and I reckon the cattle get stung by it before they eat it.
Here is a photo of a Bull Nettle it will sure sting you. Is this what you are referring as a stinging horse nettle. Try digging one of these up the root can be very deep maybe as much as ten feet or better. You can dig down and place a glass jar over the stem where it can not sprout and get rid of it.
BullnettleII.jpg

The one picture looked a little like soda apples, but didnt seem to have enough of the striped effect that makes them look like tiny watermelons.

I took over a hayfield that was full of horsenettle. I used forefront R&P at 1 quart to the acre. It did an excellent job!!!. It's pricey but for as good of job it did it was worth every penny. It is also labled for tropical soda apple so you kill two nasty weeds with the same stone. :D

Is Forefront R&B the brand name? I know I'm gonna have to get really serious for the next few years and try to get rid of this stuff! I just thought thistles were bad, at least you can see them! :lol: Guess A fellow has to look at the bright side!

No it's R&P it's made by Dow. It is really good stuff. I have used it for 2 seasons now and I am Horsenettle free. I had fought that weed for a few years I just couldn't beleve what a good job it did. I don't know about this late in the year but it does have residual control.

I'm gonna see if I can find it. How much and what time of the year did you spray. With Grazon I have to spray when the stuff blooms and that's just about the time the Bermuda is ready to cut.

What ever you spray with use plenty of water, aat least 20 gallons per acre. The secret to controlling horsnettle is to get it wet with spray. I have been told by a forage speciaist with Texas A&M to treat it like an annual.

Latest posts