Hoss and others. Tell me the secret....

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
To coyote hunting. I've shot my share when they are caught trotting across the pasture but we have developed a problem and need to get rid of some.

Thats why they call them wylie coyotes. I have tried calls and they come close but not out of the woods, but the best method is to put a wounded rabbit (real) or chicken tied down and wait for them to come out to see the commotoin then blast em. Snares work good if you know their paths. Cage traps do NOT work. Never seen one go into one.

A number 3 long spring works good too. And they work 24/7. If they haven't been trapped hard in the recent past they aren't nearly as difficult to catch as people would have you believe. the secret is not in wearing a rubber suit or something to avoid leaving scent. It is to practice making the set so that you can make a good solid set in a very short period of time. When I was trapping coyotes full time I could make a dirt hole set with the trap bedded real firmly in about a minute and a half.

Limomike":364atnw4 said:
Thats why they call them wylie coyotes. I have tried calls and they come close but not out of the woods, but the best method is to put a wounded rabbit (real) or chicken tied down and wait for them to come out

decoys are good
full moon or night light is good
could do both

Traps do work well and I trap very little. When you call have something visual " decoy " a yote can see to help draw his attention from your set up other than just the sound. Even a stick with 2 turkey feathers will work or has for me. The problem I have here is deer get caught in the freaking traps. We have a TON of deer here. My coyote secret is I save up a huge pile of deer guts and bones waste and pile it in coyote infested areas and sit in a stand at night and wait if they hang up while calling them during the day and are too smart for calls.

Limomike":284xtuli said:
Thats why they call them wylie coyotes. I have tried calls and they come close but not out of the woods, but the best method is to put a wounded rabbit (real) or chicken tied down and wait for them to come out to see the commotoin then blast em. Snares work good if you know their paths. Cage traps do NOT work. Never seen one go into one.

The problem I have with using a live chicken is that may give them an idea if you do not kill that coyote ya miss or what have you it gives them the thoughts of a new meal and may have never ate a chicken before and then maybe your own chickens or neighbors start to get eaten.

skyhightree1":3b6do9sx said:
Traps do work well and I trap very little. When you call have something visual " decoy " a yote can see to help draw his attention from your set up other than just the sound. Even a stick with 2 turkey feathers will work or has for me. The problem I have here is deer get caught in the freaking traps. We have a TON of deer here. My coyote secret is I save up a huge pile of deer guts and bones waste and pile it in coyote infested areas and sit in a stand at night and wait if they hang up while calling them during the day and are too smart for calls.
Sky... I have always been told that after you field dress a deer, you can set up and hunt the gut pile for Yotes. A lot of people in my part of Tennessee say that this is the best way to hunt them.

TN Cattle Man":369dnw3i said:
skyhightree1":369dnw3i said:
Sky... I have always been told that after you field dress a deer, you can set up and hunt the gut pile for Yotes. A lot of people in my part of Tennessee say that this is the best way to hunt them.

TN Cattle its an excellent way to hunt them it works great. You have smell which will take there mind off smelling for you and often its not one that shows up for the buffet its a few in my personal experience.

We can shoot hogs year round. Always coyote hunt over your bone pile. You slice one open and you will have coyotes.

I watched 2 or 3 coyotes chase down a pack of small pigs. They were catching them too. You could hear the pigs squealing. I almost hate to shoot a coyote now.

TN Cattle Man":8q7rm2wf said:
skyhightree1":8q7rm2wf said:

I have done that many a time, and got a few coyotes like that. I put the guts behind a shed and climb up onto the top of it and wait til dusk, then they come in.

A live rooster in a small cage with hidden traps set around it works well on coyotes and bobcats. A dead calf, beaver or road killed deer with traps set around it would probably work too. There are probably guys around your area that would love to call in the coyotes during the day and night.

There's a young guy around here that's very good at trapping and he even quit his ranching job to start a business trapping problem animals that are causing problems. I know he travels to surrounding states so he would probably travel to your area if you're interested, I can get his number if you want.

What I have learned about calling coyotes:

Always watch the wind.

Keep a creek or other hard to cross obstacle down wind of you as a yote will almost always circle downwind if they can.

Don't call too loud- especially at the beginning of your set.

Vary the call volume slightly during a set.

Mix up calls- coyotes get educated quick.

Set up at an 'off" angle to where your call is. Not directly behind it.

Wear good camo and have a background - never skyline.

Try to hunt clean and scent free in case wind swirls.

Don't over call - 30 min max per stand

Use a decoy - I like the Primos Sit & Spin

Make the yote cross open ground to get to the decoy when possible. I like to call them into small, isolated fields. I set decoy about 1/4 of the way out in it and sit back in cover on the opposite side that I suspect wiley will be coming from.

Finally - Do not miss. An educated yote is very, very difficult to call in later.

We use an electronic call. We being my son and law and I. Decent numbers, best we have done is 9 in one day. Early morning, evening works for us. SIL bought one of those electric tail things that flips and catches their attention and keeps it focused. I don't know why more don't, but we hunt out of our buddy tree stands. It is a good time, you can talk to each other, see a lot of area and have a great time doing it.

HOSS":365j9fyi said:
What I have learned about calling coyotes:

Always watch the wind.

Keep a creek or other hard to cross obstacle down wind of you as a yote will almost always circle downwind if they can.

Don't call too loud- especially at the beginning of your set.

Vary the call volume slightly during a set.

Mix up calls- coyotes get educated quick.

Set up at an 'off" angle to where your call is. Not directly behind it.

Wear good camo and have a background - never skyline.

Try to hunt clean and scent free in case wind swirls.

Don't over call - 30 min max per stand

Use a decoy - I like the Primos Sit & Spin

Make the yote cross open ground to get to the decoy when possible. I like to call them into small, isolated fields. I set decoy about 1/4 of the way out in it and sit back in cover on the opposite side that I suspect wiley will be coming from.

Finally - Do not miss. An educated yote is very, very difficult to call in later.

Hoss covered the call list very well and detailed one thing I would like to piggy back on is the " Wear good camo and have a background - never skyline. " When we clean up predator problems on peoples lands the best purchase we have made is one of those pop up tents that is camo it conceals your outline as well as scent containment. We do not have the major yote problem some of yall face but we definately have our share.

Trapping would sound like my option, my best advice to you would be make your sets along field edges where you can check them from the truck. The biggest thing is to stay away from them as much as possible! When you find a good location set at least 3 traps .

Snares would also be a great way also. Find a roadkill deer and dump it in a overgrown field with snares surrounding it but not to close to avoid buzzards.

Running a tye 2015 drill through the field always seemed to work best for me.
Or if your cutting beans in a heavy rabbit area. :lol:

To bad you can't use snares in OK (can't here either) because crawl under's in fences are the high number places.
Get you some footholds, cat meat, and some books on coyote trapping, and go to town. You could run quite a few while your doing your normal everyday cow work around the farm.

This worked real well for me over the years. Find a small clearing in an over grown area. About a quarter acre in size works best. In the middle of the clearing place a dead elephant. If you have no elephants available substitute the larges dead thing you have available. Pull some of the hide back to make sure there is some meat easy to get to. This will help to attract bird who help to attract the coyotes. Anything smaller than the elephant be sure to wire it down so it doesn't get drug off. Now at least 40 feet from the elephant on every little path or trail leading into this clearing set a trap or snare. Snares make a 10 inch loop that is 10 inches off the ground. With traps set them just slightly off center of the trail with VERY small twigs, sticks or stones that will direct the coyotes foot to step on the trap.

With this method you will very rarely catch a coyote with an empty stomach. But once they have a stomach full of elephant they lose their caution. Think of it this way. On Thanksgiving I would have a tough time catching going to the dinner table. But once you have a belly full of turkey and the game comes on...... I could catch you every time headed towards the recliner.

Brute 23":180l98gq said:
We can shoot hogs year round. Always coyote hunt over your bone pile. You slice one open and you will have coyotes.

I watched 2 or 3 coyotes chase down a pack of small pigs. They were catching them too. You could hear the pigs squealing. I almost hate to shoot a coyote now.

That is the way I kill yotes. Just drag the pigs off that you have shot and camp out near and you're sure to get a yote or two.
And I also have seen them run down a young pig for a meal.

Cal

Dave":noxbys7x said:
This worked real well for me over the years. Find a small clearing in an over grown area. About a quarter acre in size works best. In the middle of the clearing place a dead elephant. If you have no elephants available substitute the larges dead thing you have available. Pull some of the hide back to make sure there is some meat easy to get to. This will help to attract bird who help to attract the coyotes. Anything smaller than the elephant be sure to wire it down so it doesn't get drug off. Now at least 40 feet from the elephant on every little path or trail leading into this clearing set a trap or snare. Snares make a 10 inch loop that is 10 inches off the ground. With traps set them just slightly off center of the trail with VERY small twigs, sticks or stones that will direct the coyotes foot to step on the trap.

With this method you will very rarely catch a coyote with an empty stomach. But once they have a stomach full of elephant they lose their caution. Think of it this way. On Thanksgiving I would have a tough time catching going to the dinner table. But once you have a belly full of turkey and the game comes on...... I could catch you every time headed towards the recliner.
Funny you should mention that. I had an elephant die just yesterday.

Isomade":89v9i2t6 said:
Dave":89v9i2t6 said:

Funny you should mention that. I had an elephant die just yesterday.

LMAO :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts