How do you heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogfarmer10

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone heats their homes? Wood, electric, propane, etc.
I primarily use wood, but also will use electric to warm up a room or two. Have propane for when it gets really cold, the power's out, and the woodpile is running low.

We have a Bosch air to air heat pump. It has been as good if not a little better then the 20 year old geothermal unit it replaced. When we bought the place it had a outdoor wood boiler along with the geothermal. I felt like I was going to have to cut the whole forest down to feed that thing.

Wood only, no backup. This was intentional when we built the house, so my kids would learn where their comfort came from. Lots of great lessons and memories sharing the experience together.

Now that they're all grown and gone, me and momma are ready to install something with an easy-turn knob and just use the wood heat when she wants me to chase her around the house.

When we bought the place and remodeled 5 years ago we put in central H/A. Heat pump with gas backup. It is great when it works but has been far from trouble free. Since it broke last week right before the big freeze I put in an insert in the basement fireplace. Moral of the story- Turn the knob is nice but never be without a big piece of iron you can burn wood in somewhere in the house.

We have a wood heater and a propane heater in the basement, a pellet stove upstairs as well as some electric baseboard heaters. The propane is great but can freeze.

Mainly with our gas logs / propane. We also have an electric heat pump but it only runs when we have cold like this past weekend. Single digits .

When we bought the Farm 31 years ago it was a 1906 build nothing but wood heat for 12 years and I cut and burned 10 cord of maple a year. Thankfully I could get log truck loads for $150. I did a big addition and since I'm a concrete contractor we have all concrete floors and radiant heat. I piped in hot water radiators into the original portion of the house and now have a natural gas boiler. Lots easier!

Electric. It's nice, but I admit I miss radiant type heat I once had. Electric heat is well, heat but it's warmth has something missing.. and tho it works great on cool mode in summer, I believe it's true energy source is just burning hundred dollar bills in winter.

Last edited:
I have a neighbor that has one of those outdoor wood furnaces, too. His not only heats his house, but also a large 2 story garage, plus it heats his hot water. He burns it year round (it is his only source for hot water). There's just something about an 83 year old man that literally has to saw and split wood year round that turned me off from the outdoor furnaces.

I have a neighbor that has one of those outdoor wood furnaces, too. His not only heats his house, but also a large 2 story garage, plus it heats his hot water. He burns it year round (it is his only source for hot water). There's just something about an 83 year old man that literally has to saw and split wood year round that turned me off from the outdoor furnaces.
I have one as well. If you have a farm you might as well have wood heat.

I use mostly wood, I have no shortage of that here. When people come to stay here the deal is they cut me a trailer load of wood and stack it in the wood shed. The trouble is with covid I haven't had many visitors of late and my grandson has been very busy with his sailing so last winter I had to cut most myself.

Ken

We have a very small house with a half basement, and a very big wood stove, which was free heat for us for many years. There is wood everywhere, and anyone is usually happy if you come cut up some downed trees and haul them away for them. But my husband is in his mid-70s now, and his back is a train wreck from previous abuse, so we can no longer get wood. We have a backup propane "woodstove" (one of those fake woodstoves with the ceramic "logs" in it), which we now use as our primary heat. To heat the bedroom/bathroom and the basement, we have electric heaters.

This past week, we didn't even have our propane heat because of a perfect storm of wind, snow, and cold. We have all three of these things, all the time, but usually two at a time, and not usually AS cold as it was last week. The vent on the propane heater got clogged with snow and ice and choked itself off, so it wouldn't stay lit. As hot as that vent is, the wind and snow, combined with the (actual) -22 temperature was enough to overcome it. I had no idea what was wrong and spent the whole night re-lighting the pilot light and praying it would stay on. It's a scary thing to be in a little house a hundred miles from anywhere, in a blizzard with -60 wind chills, and nothing to keep you warm but an itty-bitty space heater. Thank God we had electricity. But as luck, or providence, would have it, I talked to our neighbor the following day and found out they were having the same problem, so she told me what the fix was - put a cover over the vent (open top and bottom, of course) to keep the snow and wind from entering the vent directly. So we grabbed a piece of roofing tin and screwed it to the siding, so it bows over the vent, and the ice melted and the heater started working again. Whew!

But yeah, propane "woodstove" is our heat, and now hopefully we won't lose it again in another bad storm. It breaks my heart to look at that behemoth wood burning stove sitting in the living room, but we just can't collect the fuel for it anymore. I hate getting old.

We have a natural gas boiler in a crawl space so we have hot water heat.
We have a natural gas fireplace as well.
We had trouble keeping this house warm in that big snow and wind storm. The installer came out (bless his heart) and changed the setting so it turned on sooner. We know nothing about boilers, so we were extremely glad he made it.

Natural gas has gotten so much higher than usual that our gas bill for November was the highest ever! Not looking forward to what it will be in December.

500 gallon LP tank, forced air propane/central air.
Farm house growing up was a wood/coal furnace. Buying a truck load of coal and shoveling into coal bin in the basement for the winter was dirty... such a dirty fuel.

I do have a fireplace as well as electric heat. Our first winter here and we've not used it. (We've not gotten any firewood either.) The only wood heat I ever had was an old box stove type heater one year that ate wood like a hungry swarm of ravenous termites..
Fireplace has some kind of fan...not sure what it does. The switch on the wall is labeled "flue fan" so I assumed it was to help draw of the chimney but when I turned it on, the air seems to be coming out a set of vents along the top of the fireplace. Is it to push warm air out into the room? edjumacate me.. Not mine but looks like this:
fluefan.jpg

Latest posts