How soon before she can/will breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
Hello,
One of Our Highland heifers gave birth two weeks ago to our first ever bull calf. Both are doing well. We run our bull year round with our two girls. I'm wondering how soon after delivering her first calf will our new mom be ready and capable of being breed again?

Congratulations on the calf.

There are a large number of variables involved in answering your question. The cow's condition, age, breed, and genetics within the breed are just some of them. I prefer mine to breed back when the calf is about 3 months old, which will give me a calf at the same time every year, but some of them are a little slower (those usually don't get to stay around very long), and some of them will breed back when the calf is 6 weeks old.

Rafter S":1q1tas2b said:
Congratulations on the calf.

There are a large number of variables involved in answering your question. The cow's condition, age, breed, and genetics within the breed are just some of them. I prefer mine to breed back when the calf is about 3 months old, which will give me a calf at the same time every year, but some of them are a little slower (those usually don't get to stay around very long), and some of them will breed back when the calf is 6 weeks old.

X2 to everything, condition of cow is important. I'll add to watch your calving season window, if you want her to calve in June say, three months after calving is the limit since she carries for about 9months. 8 weeks after calving should be fine with good condition.

Latest posts