how to calm down a hyper steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Ace, thorazine, rompum, etc.
editing, of course you can't use it at a show. Just use some to break him to people around the show barn . Keeps the calf from getting hurt.

brandon__rox":39dtv1gc said:
hy steer is really hyper can you tell me how to calm him and get hin use to people.

You'll get lots of advice about penning him, hand feeding him, soft voice work, no fast movements, and so on.

If you want to make him come to you - keep the water away for 3 days. Put a chair in the pen and sit in it. Put the water beside you. He will get thirsty soon enough. Evey time you get tired of the BS - leave and take the water with you.

If he's really spooky he will never come to water until he is nearly down. If he's really big he might try and take you.

Some will never settle down. If this is a show animal that you bought - well, return him - if it is possible. Call it a learning experience.

If it is an eating animal - just keep your distance and feed him. He is not your friend he is your supper.

ollie has a good idea - but I would do not waste a heck of a lot of time. They are food and not pets. Someone else can have the headache.

On second thought as I write - toss him now - save yourself the grief and replace him - if not you will probably regret it in the end. Steers - even good ones - are as common as lice on a hairy cow in spring.

Remember, food stock not pet stock.

Regards

Bez

You could try Calf Calm. The one from Valley Vet supply is stronger than the you can get from sullivans. This product is legal to use on show days. You might give it a try.

like it has been already said, some never calm down, but i have had some luck by putting them in with a few other calm calves and feeding them... once they get the taste of feed and like it, they will many times come around, but it may take a while.

at first they will act crazy, but if they are the only one in there acting that way, they will finally, usually come around. put the feed out and walk away at first. once they start eating good, then gradually hang around a little longer each time and see if they will come around.

all the above fits only to calm down supper... if this is a show calf, then you may want to consider replacing him..

jmo and good luck,

jt

Cattle will have their own personalities. As some have indicated, some will never calm down. If they don't calm down, they make lowsy show animals. Lots of work, doubtful if you will ever win a show with one. The water method that Bez mentioned will work, don't know what the weather and heat is like in your area, but where I live I just withhold the water from morning till evening. He'll come to the water.

Another method you might try, if you can get a halter on him. Get him tied securly where he can't hurt himself or you. Tie him short. Wash him. Nothing calms an animal down better than a good washing. Play a radio out by the corrals where you keep him. Keep it on a soothing stations. No hip hop, rap, heavy metal, etc.... Talk radio works well. They get used to to voices. Time, time, time.

Good luck

ffamom":1bra4acn said:
You could try Calf Calm. The one from Valley Vet supply is stronger than the you can get from sullivans. This product is legal to use on show days. You might give it a try.

At some of the show heifer sales the ranch manager drugs them up because of all the people and noise. Calf Calm its a waste of money it does not work that good. I have no clue how to spell the name I know it start with a M. That stuff works I can get the name exactly if you want it. Thats what most of the big ranches use. I tryed it a time are to and it works.

SCfarms":nfexj51u said:
At some of the show heifer sales the ranch manager drugs them up because of all the people and noise. Calf Calm its a waste of money it does not work that good. I have no clue how to spell the name I know it start with a M. That stuff works I can get the name exactly if you want it. Thats what most of the big ranches use. I tryed it a time are to and it works.
And a person would think that as much as you claim to show...you would know that most of the drugs that were mentioned will show up in the blood and are grounds for disqualification...INCLUDING melatonin.

If you have to drug your cattle to show them, you shouldn't be showing them. These cattle are a danger to you, other competitors and their cattle, and spectators. Leave them at home!!!

They drug them up for the sales I know I helped work at a few sales. They give them this drug to put them in shock and it makes them calm. Oh one more thing these are not race horses they are not tested after each race(show).

Hyper steer, if you ask us... they also don't taste as good and are tougher no matter how long you hang the meat... I would agree with Bez, get rid of the problem now so his personality doesn't rub off on any others and no one gets hurt.

SCfarms":2p0r35s6 said:
They drug them up for the sales I know I helped work at a few sales. They give them this drug to put them in shock and it makes them calm. Oh one more thing these are not race horses they are not tested after each race(show).

show steers have blood pulled after the show.

How would you feel if you went to a sale, bought a couple heifers that were loaded with melatonin, got them home. Next day they tore the barn up cause they were physco.

Your list of unethical sht drives me crazy. You think you know it all. But really you are just a snot nosed spoiled brat still wet behind the ears NOBODY that needs a good a$$ wooping.

I try to remember that you are indeed a kid. But when you talk trash like you do...you make it out like you play with the big boys...that means you can be treated just like an adult too.

certherfbeef":1smxb4iv said:
...Your list of unethical sht drives me crazy. You think you know it all. But really you are just a snot nosed spoiled brat still wet behind the ears NOBODY that needs a good a$$ wooping.

I try to remember that you are indeed a kid. But when you talk trash like you do...you make it out like you play with the big boys...that means you can be treated just like an adult too.

It surprises me how this young man seems to thrive on unethical and dishonest methods. I certainly hope that he is not representative of most of our younger generation. If he is, we are all in big trouble.

certherfbeef":w2gh22d1 said:
SCfarms":w2gh22d1 said:

How would you feel if you went to a sale, bought a couple heifers that were loaded with melatonin, got them home. Next day they tore the barn up cause they were physco.

Your list of unethical sht drives me crazy. You think you know it all. But really you are just a snot nosed spoiled brat still wet behind the ears NOBODY that needs a good a$$ wooping.

Well - that about says it all.
One thing that is so hard for young people (and sometimes old ones too) is that you will sound/look/act a lot smarter if you sat back & listened/read instead of offering foolish advice.

certherfbeef":oz9yf35i said:
SCfarms":oz9yf35i said:

Let me tell you something about Physco it happened to me before. It was my first show heifer we bought. You could tell she was druged up because I walked her at the sale and she did fine. Didnt trying anything. My dad gave $2100 for her. We got home turned her in the corral. 2 days later when we went to put that halter on her. Broke my nose kicking like she never had a halter on. You walk in the pen with her running in circles trying to jump fences. We even gave her to 3 different people that break calves to break her. We told him the story and he said she was probly druged up. So dont tell me how big ranches dont do that to there show heifer before a sale. I know a few others that happen to.

I don't think anyone was trying to say that it doesn't happen. You were just sounding like you were advocating it....

I have to say that most of the people we've ever bought cattle from are pretty up front about personality - they aren't in this for one year & they know we won't be back (or anyone else we know) the next year if they pull something that gets one of our kids hurt.

If I bought a heifer that was drugged, I would tell the world who this seller was and not to by from them. this is very unprofessional and wrong. I had a mule that was drugged to a teddy bear until the next day then he was uncatchable.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

If you call a man a crook you better be able to draw blood and prove it. I have seen many a decent heifer ruined by their first exposure to a different farm. Some kids go to the next state or two with their parents, truck them by theirself , dump them in a lot that is two or three acres then they get ran all the next day by the son/daughter and a few friends trying to halter them. Etc.etc.etc. Stupidity sometimes isn't only genetic with the heifer, sometimes it is also very well ingrained in the owner.

Ollie I have to agree with you completely!! I guess I didn't think about that angle.... I was just speaking from personal experience - if I'm going to spend money on one it's going to get treated right - maybe even spoiled a little!!

Latest posts