Hurricane Florence

Help Support CattleToday:

The National Weather Center said Florence will likely be "the storm of a lifetime" for portions of the Carolina coast.

Hurricane Florence's potentially devastating winds are generating enormous waves as high as 83 feet as it continues to make its way toward the East Coast and insurers predict it will become the costliest such storm to ever hit the continental U.S.

Analytics firm CoreLogic predicts that the damage from Florence could be more than $170 billion – making it the most expensive hurricane to hit the continental U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Harvey, which decimated parts of the Gulf states and Texas in 2005 and 2017 respectively, cost more than $125 billion. Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Mid-Atlantic and New England areas in 2012, came in at $65 billion, according to the National Hurricane Center.

*Taken from a FOX News Article

JMJ Farms":3fgwo5ff said:
The National Weather Center said Florence will likely be "the storm of a lifetime" for portions of the Carolina coast.

Hurricane Florence's potentially devastating winds are generating enormous waves as high as 83 feet as it continues to make its way toward the East Coast and insurers predict it will become the costliest such storm to ever hit the continental U.S.

Analytics firm CoreLogic predicts that the damage from Florence could be more than $170 billion – making it the most expensive hurricane to hit the continental U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Harvey, which decimated parts of the Gulf states and Texas in 2005 and 2017 respectively, cost more than $125 billion. Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Mid-Atlantic and New England areas in 2012, came in at $65 billion, according to the National Hurricane Center.

*Taken from a FOX News Article
Harvey wasn't a bad hurricane as hurricanes go. What made it so bad was stalling out and dumping 55 inches of rain.

Each storm is the worst ever by the media it's about viewership.
Rita was the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Gulf. It's the forgotten storm as the biggest city it hit was Beaumont.
Not taking anything away from Florence
it's about central pressure, speed and impact point at landfall. The Mid Atlantic just doesn't get to deal with as many as the Gulf states. Most of the US population lives within 100 miles of the coast making them all costly based on infrastructure damage and population.
The positive is central pressure is not falling signaling strengthening.

I couldn't agree more CB. While certain people need to evacuate due to their proximity to the potential point of impact, the media over sensationalizes everything these days, especially weather. I know it's not a joke, and I know it has the makings to tear up a lot of stuff, but like you say every one is "the worst, the biggest, the costliest"

We'll know how much hype Florence is in a couple of days. I've been running from hurricanes since Andrew in 1992. And see no reason why anyone would stay except to protect their belongings. If looters were executed on site more folks would heed evacuation notices in front of these storms.

True Grit Farms":1ro5so9b said:
We'll know how much hype Florence is in a couple of days. I've been running from hurricanes since Andrew in 1992. And see no reason why anyone would stay except to protect their belongings. If looters were executed on site more folks would heed evacuation notices in front of these storms.

Andrew, Hugo, Katrina and (Alberto in 94 even though it was only a tropical depression when it got here but caused unbelievable flooding from here to South Ga) are the ones I remember best. I'm with you on the looters. One behind the ear and let em drift out to sea. Wrong is wrong but taking advantage of another's misfortune such as in the case of looting before/after a natural disaster such as a hurricane is lower than low.

Isaac is in the chute that some very bad girls have run. Models don't have it strengthening. Bears watching a jog north could be ugly. Carla ran up the Yucatán as well.

Good sign Flo has downgraded to a 2

Ike came ashore as a Cat 2....just sayin.

How it really is right now.......doesn't include the 2 waves that just came off the African coast.

$

greybeard":k7s9vo87 said:
Ike came ashore as a Cat 2....just sayin.

How it really is right now.......doesn't include the 2 waves that just came off the African coast.

$

Ike pitched a tent.

Caustic Burno":uems6apo said:
Isaac is in the chute that some very bad girls have run. Models don't have it strengthening. Bears watching a jog north could be ugly. Carla ran up the Yucatán as well.

look for Issac to be in gulf next week , Y'all will have a cold front deep in TX and it will steer him up to the Gulf coast

M-5":34mw2de7 said:
Caustic Burno":34mw2de7 said:

look for Issac to be in gulf next week , Y'all will have a cold front deep in TX and it will steer him up to the Gulf coast

Looks like two could be lining up to jump us.

I've been through many hurricanes in my life starting with Audrey in 1957. Some I've stayed home for and some I've gone inland. At least a hurricane will give you a few days to make that decision and then you are on your own. They are to be respected because until you are in one you can't imagine the power and fury unleashed. I have pictures of our property after Ike in Crystal Beach Tx and I would like to be able to show them to the fools that are thinking of riding out this storm on there boat.
I've only been in one tornado and that came up with no notice. It tore my neighborhood up, completely demolishing some neighbors homes. We have no official tornado warning system in Louisiana like some states. `I have always said that I will take a hurricane any day compared to a tornado just because of the time factor. And yes, I agree with CB that the media has hyped these up like many other things and may have cost lost of lives in doing so. Everyone wants to be a showman.

I agree the news tends to blow up the storms, like the TS that came in on us several weeks ago that was really just a rain event. We had family calling from all over checking on us because it looked so bad on the news. On the flip side if they didn't make a big deal out of it and someone drowned in the flooding they would be blamed for not doing their jobs. I am glad to see that Florence has gone to a Cat 2, but believe folks in its path are still in for a rough time of it. I watch the pressure when Ivan hit us pressure was 915 and trust me it was bad. Right now the pressure of Florence is 955 hopefully it won't go any lower.

Gizmom

bbirder":3uhnxljd said:
I've been through many hurricanes in my life starting with Audrey in 1957. Some I've stayed home for and some I've gone inland. At least a hurricane will give you a few days to make that decision and then you are on your own. They are to be respected because until you are in one you can't imagine the power and fury unleashed. I have pictures of our property after Ike in Crystal Beach Tx and I would like to be able to show them to the fools that are thinking of riding out this storm on there boat.
I've only been in one tornado and that came up with no notice. It tore my neighborhood up, completely demolishing some neighbors homes. We have no official tornado warning system in Louisiana like some states. `I have always said that I will take a hurricane any day compared to a tornado just because of the time factor. And yes, I agree with CB that the media has hyped these up like many other things and may have cost lost of lives in doing so. Everyone wants to be a showman.
I would think planning to ride one out on your boat should be called "Suicide by storm".
Tornado came over before daylight one morning, picked up over us and set down again a little distance away. Went through a bunch of pine trees and looked like someone had cut a strip through grass with a lawn mower.
Could not see it because it was still dark, but the sound it made was terrible. Don't need that experience again.

When we experienced the tornado, it took the roof off of our next door neighbor and left ours intact. The house 3 doors down resembled a box of toothpicks after it imploded. We only had 2 windows broken, but the noise was deafening and we were definitely shaken. Our children were just babies at the time. My oldest is 47 now and we still talk about it.

"I would think planning to ride one out on your boat should be called "Suicide by storm".

depends on the size, condition of the 'boat' and the crew.
I rode one out (Eloise) on a 100' USN tugboat anchored in Santa Rosa Sound Fla in '76.
Rode several Pacific hurricanes (typhoons) out at sea, or ran before them in the Pacific and Indian Ocean on a Navy destroyer.

Everyone will hate me, I know,
Last year i went though Hurricane Irma.
Went to Florida just to see what a hurricane was.
Stayed at my son's house.
Was really dissapointed in what a Catargory 3 Hurricane was.
Went outside when the eye had passed.
Then went to sleep. Wind and rain, nothing else.
Have you ever been in a bed when a tornado passed by?
Found out 2 miles from you people you knew were killed?
And never even woke up?
Or even been in a severe thunderstorm?
60 or 70 mph winds aren't much in IMHO.
Slept through them for years.
The house I was in didn't even shake.
My house rattles when a storm passes, a REAL STORM.
I know a lot of agony happens in hurricanes.
I feel sorry for everyone's losses.
Different parts of the country deal with weather in different ways.
What is terrible for some is really no big deal for others.
Give me a hurricane instead of a tornado any day.
gs

Greg, I believe had you visited Mississippi after Katrina your opinion would be different. I understand what you are saying though. Many who experience a hurricane only experience what you did and were not where the destruction is. Also, inside a hurricane many times there are tornadoes as well - you just can't see them.

Jogeephus":3vm3hju5 said:
Greg, I believe had you visited Mississippi after Katrina your opinion would be different. I understand what you are saying though. Many who experience a hurricane only experience what you did and were not where the destruction is. Also, inside a hurricane many times there are tornadoes as well - you just can't see them.

Jo correct me if I am wrong wasn't Irma a Cat 1 and TS over most of Fla. moving pretty fast
I thought it ran over Cuba and it knocked it down from a 4 or 5.

Latest posts