idea's for homemade hog feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

farmboy80

Reaction score
Am wanting to build a homemade hog feeder. Like the gravity feed ones with the lids just on a smaller scale. I've only got anywhere from three to six at a time. Any ideas?

farmboy80":3hkgtsdy said:
Am wanting to build a homemade hog feeder. Like the gravity feed ones with the lids just on a smaller scale. I've only got anywhere from three to six at a time. Any ideas?

When they are small they will work great but my experience is when they get some size to them they tend to tear them up. I believe in simplification and giving them something they can't really tear up so I cut barrels and feed them out of that there whole life span. all I use is barrels and all ill ever use is barrels. I keep 70-100 at a time so maybe that's why mine never last.

I feed them out of a barrel feeder now, but i just feed once a day. I'm wanting to provide access to feed around the clock. To see if they gain any better /faster.

skyhightree1":s55ideff said:
farmboy80":s55ideff said:

When they are small they will work great but my experience is when they get some size to them they tend to tear them up. I believe in simplification and giving them something they can't really tear up so I cut barrels and feed them out of that there whole life span. all I use is barrels and all ill ever use is barrels. I keep 70-100 at a time so maybe that's why mine never last.

My experience ha been the same as Sky's. I had one of those nice, heavy-duty, metal gravity feeders, then as they got bigger, they tore that thing off the wall, and tore it up. After that, I went BACK to using the 1/2 barrels. They just don't seem tp tear them up like the metal feeders.

farmboy80":39fhgfh4 said:
I feed them out of a barrel feeder now, but i just feed once a day. I'm wanting to provide access to feed around the clock. To see if they gain any better /faster.

Farmboy before there were auto feeders there were wood troughs in which people kept feed. My pigs are never our of feed I feed 1 time every 5 days. In order to raise pigs and keep them growing you do need the feed in front 24-7 I keep my barrel troughs full they are never without. I also pile feed up in the pen to be sure they have enough. What I fill up a lot is the milk bowls. They were drinking 3000 gallons a month or more. I am now almost our of pigs for the year.

Latest posts