Identify grass and suggest usage?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas of what to do with this grass to improve soil and or feed stock. First, what kind it it? Then I am tossing around what to do with it. Nothing? Just leave for future? Bale? Mow and leave? Mob graze it?TIABC8739EA-620E-4E0B-9571-4F5FDF4EDCBB.jpeg38AD2827-D608-49A2-8125-DE8AC15B1ED0.jpegCFFD721F-25D5-45BC-AE74-4CF0EDA58715.jpeg

Too many unknown variables. Grass looks like it was mowed, fescue is a pretty safe bet in this part of the world. Here in northern Ohio, I took an eroded farm with less than 1% organic matter and healed it with cows and grass. The clay knobs, formerly the worst spots on the farm, now test at 4% organic matter and have 8 inches of topsoil. Managed intensive grazing, graze heavy then fence them off so the grass can regrow, is what worked, and surprisingly quickly, for me. How much grass do you have? Mob grazing works better with numbers.

It looks like my Ky 31 fescue sheep pastures where I am a little under stocked. Lots of rain this year and grass is growing like springtime.
I think your grass headed out back in May or June and stock grazed the heads a little.
Funny, I can tell at a glance here on the farm what type of grass I have but pictures on the internet leave me unsure.
Looks like a good stand with few weeds. I would try and save some back for winter grazing and use the remainder hard through fall. Just what I would do, might not be the best practice but at my age I always balance the amount of effort to the expected return and tend to favor the choice requiring least effort.

Latest posts