Is is OK for cattle to get into pond that is in poor shape??

Help Support CattleToday:

TNcowman

Reaction score
Due to lack of rain and heat, heat, heat, one of my ponds that has no constant running water, has alot of algae and now has several dead fish in it. If I turned my cattle into this field, they would head right to this pond. Will this cause them any harm or not be good for them? Your thoughts appreciated.

Locally, many ponds went completely dry last year and it is happening this year.

Your cows are attempting to cool off. It was 109 degrees here Tuesday, and well over 100 every day this week. In time like this, the cows need cooling, even if it means laying in mud holes. I would encourage it.

If there is a mud bog somewhere, to where cows or calves could get stuck, I'd get concerned. Other than that, let in the water. IMHO

Algae buildup and fish kills are normally a result of the oxygen content of the water. Normal for small ponds in the south in the summertime. Unless you suspect something has contaminated your pond, causing the fish kill, I would let them in,

This happened two years ago. I think the water is messed up due to hot days and not any contamination. I was just concerned if the dead, stinking fish in the water would hurt the cattle when they drink it??

Theres probably a lot of contamination in the water, but cows will drink the fowlest water and doesn't bother them. Good thing becouse most all stockponds during low water in dry hot weather get very foul. I think very young calves drinking bad water can cause problems. Cattle spend a lot of time in the water and mud, keeps flys off their legs and belly.

mnmt

I would be more concerned about the possibility of one getting stuck or bogged down getting in and out of the pond. That's been a big problem around here where a lot of the tanks are going dry.

We don't raise fish .... we raise cows. The pond belongs to the cows.

Ain't any good fishing here.

Caught a 7 1/4 pound bass ... 6 1/4 pound bass ... and a 15 in long crappie.

TNcowman":1670d64u said:
Due to lack of rain and heat, heat, heat, one of my ponds that has no constant running water, has alot of algae and now has several dead fish in it.

Get some grass carp.

The way to keep a pond in good shape.

Never let your cows into it. Fence it off.

Pump water - whatever way you want - from the pond - into the trough - provide an over flow to the pond.

We used wind to do this on our last place.

When you run into heavy drought and hot weather -the best thing you can do to keep your water source up and fresh is to pump air into the pond. In fact it is good for the water source no matter whattype of weather you run into.

Koenders does both - I have used their equipment and would never hesitate to recommend their systems to anyone.

Keeps algae way down and keeps the fish alive. Well worth it over the long term.

Water quality is probably one of the top 5 items cattlemen need to attend to. Just because they will drink it does not mean they want to. Sometimes they will drink it because they HAVE to.

Test the water - it is not more expensive than a vet bill or a dead cow.

Regards

Bez?

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1260p2xe said:
Check the article on Cow-Calf weekly about algae and cattle poisoning. ;-)

Got a link?

Latest posts