Kefir

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
Does anyone make this or ever tried making it? I want to give it a go but not sure how to keep it warm enough for fermentation in the colder months ahead.

Fermenting just takes a little longer when its cold out. Room temp works fine. Longer you let it sit, tangy-er it can be.

Fermenting just takes a little longer when its cold out. Room temp works fine. Longer you let it sit, tangy-er it can be.
You've never been to my house have you? I'm single I don't put the heating on room temp can be quite brisk at night. It could take weeks lol.

I don't do kefir, but I do make clabber and yogurt, so for those, I put them in my oven with the oven light on. It keeps it warm enough to incubate yogurt if I set the container next to where the light bulb is, and for clabber, I just set the jar a little farther away from the light (it doesn't need to be as warm). If you have a light in your oven you can leave on, or a pilot light, either way would work. Of course, you can't use your oven during incubation, so it's best to do it overnight, when you're sleeping. :)

Sometimes I have a lot of things going on in my oven and then I can't bake, and I've often thought it would be nice to just build a wooden box that the top opens and there's a light bulb wired into the back with an on/off switch. Then whatever I wanted to incubate would have its own place. My problem here is not enough room for this wonderful incubation box, but if YOU have room, and are the least bit handy, you could probably make one for yourself. Meanwhile, you could use the oven.

First time I ever heard of Kefir and I had to look it up. Is it a sort of thin yogurt?
We have a very traditional cuisine in our home, heavy on dumplings, pork and potatoes in the winter. Summer brings green beans and tomatoes, Hamburger is a mainstay all year, as are home made biscuits.
My wife was brought up saving money at every turn and it is a habit hard to break. When we process a beef or lamb she is somewhat at a loss at what to do with the more expensive cuts.

Closest I've been to your house was in Decenber 1999. Hung out at the faris wheel around Big Ben for the day.... As a matter of fact, it was the first day of operations for the wheel, at least that's what we were told by the operator.

I don't do kefir, but I do make clabber and yogurt, so for those, I put them in my oven with the oven light on. It keeps it warm enough to incubate yogurt if I set the container next to where the light bulb is, and for clabber, I just set the jar a little farther away from the light (it doesn't need to be as warm). If you have a light in your oven you can leave on, or a pilot light, either way would work. Of course, you can't use your oven during incubation, so it's best to do it overnight, when you're sleeping. :)

Sometimes I have a lot of things going on in my oven and then I can't bake, and I've often thought it would be nice to just build a wooden box that the top opens and there's a light bulb wired into the back with an on/off switch. Then whatever I wanted to incubate would have its own place. My problem here is not enough room for this wonderful incubation box, but if YOU have room, and are the least bit handy, you could probably make one for yourself. Meanwhile, you could use the oven.
I've never heard of clabber to my surprise it sounds very similar to kefir really. But yeah I'm quite handy I could easily make such a box I already have a portable clip on light bulb so I could just use that, I do have a slow cooker as well but I read that was too hot to leave on for too long.

First time I ever heard of Kefir and I had to look it up. Is it a sort of thin yogurt?
We have a very traditional cuisine in our home, heavy on dumplings, pork and potatoes in the winter. Summer brings green beans and tomatoes, Hamburger is a mainstay all year, as are home made biscuits.
My wife was brought up saving money at every turn and it is a habit hard to break. When we process a beef or lamb she is somewhat at a loss at what to do with the more expensive cuts.
I have no idea I think its like yoghurt but I've never had it before, I'm only doing it because its loaded with probiotics (good bacteria) and I read that yogurt bacteria doesn't always make it past your gut alive if it has any at all. I just want to try it really and see if its worth it it doesn't seem that hard to make.

Closest I've been to your house was in Decenber 1999. Hung out at the faris wheel around Big Ben for the day.... As a matter of fact, it was the first day of operations for the wheel, at least that's what we were told by the operator.
I very rarely go to London last time was probably over ten years ago but thats quite a story to tell riding the first day of the london eye I imagine the skyline has changed a bit since then though, London is growing UP, which is better than it growing out I suppose.

I have no idea I think its like yoghurt but I've never had it before, I'm only doing it because its loaded with probiotics (good bacteria) and I read that yogurt bacteria doesn't always make it past your gut alive if it has any at all. I just want to try it really and see if its worth it it doesn't seem that hard to make.

Kefir has live yeast in it as well, which is why I don't use it. I don't do well with live yeast. Dead yeast, in bread, doesn't bother me, but live yeast does. If you make your own yogurt, it will be chock-full of good probiotic bacteria, and they will get where they need to go. There isn't enough in yogurt or kefir for a therapeutic dose of probiotics (you'd have to consume GALLONS) but there will be plenty to maintain a healthy gut that doesn't already have a serious problem.

Wife makes water kefir, ive tried it and depending on flavours she uses it is quite nice. Milk kefir i dont mind, sort of like a sharp tasting milk, if you leave it longer becomes like milk mixed with vinegar and is hard to swallow. But for some reason does settle my stomach if ive been eating too much junk. Some people swear by it.

I enjoy sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) as a side dish with a meal, very easy to make at home.

Wife make yoghurt also, just buy a $20 yoghurt maker, throw in milk and enzymes and ready in the morning.

She also make kombucha but i avoid that, rips right through me like bout of gastro!

I will add at first the yoghurt wasnt great but she discovered if you buy a yoghurt strainer and strain it gets rid of the watery liquid which has a funny taste and the resulting yoghurt is thick and better than anything you could buy in the shops.

Latest posts