Land for Sale ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have three properties on the market that are within 2 miles. They are 80 to 300 acres in size. Two are the brushy parts of closed diaries that they are trying to sell as hunting land. One is a an open pasture with a small hardwood grove that they are trying to sell as a hobby farm site. They have been on the market for 9 to 24 months. Building sites sell fast but raw land sales are slow. What are you seeing?

kenny thomas said:
Slow and much cheaper here

Folks here seem to stick with raw land pricing, even if it takes a couple years to sell. I suppose that the carrying costs are affordable.

What % is "much cheaper"?

I want all the land I can afford. They aren't making it anymore. Makes me sad I can't afford to buy more cause I would. It's like Monopoly I just want all the land. 😁😍

We have a lot of industrial growth going on around my area right now. A lot of people moving in from other parts of the country and some people who were once outside the city by a couple of miles are now in the middle of it and want out. Depending on the location some bigger tracts are being cut up into 1-2 acre up to 10 acre or so tracts and selling. The bigger tracts (50+ acres) are selling if they have a house on them but seem to be taking a while. One place near me with 150 acres on the river was for sale a little over a year and it had a nice 2 story house. There is 75 acres across the hollow from me. Kind of rough but has 60 acres or so of grass on it with one old dairy barn has been for sale for going on 2 years I think. Dropped the price 2 times and still for sale. I'd love to buy it but can't swing it right now.

It appear to me that land IS moving, but at a much cheaper price than what it was 5 years ago. Asking price back then was $5k/acre and some got that, but a majority settled for $3500-4500. Recently there have been a handfull of farms that have sold for $1800-2250/acre. There is a 145 acre farm that is going to be sold absolute auction in early April. He started out asking $5000/ac but came down to $2950. No bites. Curious to see what it does. We do have a large, corporate, type farm nearby that is buying up land. I'd bet they end up with it, just waiting to see what they pay. Personally, I'd like to see a family farm get it, but it's hard to compete with the corporate guys.

Very seldom does land sell here. I don'y know what the current price is. Really depends on if the Amish want it or not.

Land selling here. We're about 45 minutes west of Fort Worth.

47 acres across the street was listed for $17,000 per acre. I thought they was crazy asking that much. It sold in 2 weeks. New owner is going to resell 2 or 10 acre tracts.

In other areas around here, there are folks from California buying land almost as soon as it's listed.

Bigfoot said:
Very seldom does land sell here. I don'y know what the current price is. Really depends on if the Amish want it or not.
Land is much cheaper here .
A few Amish families moving in and giving $1500-2000 an acre but otherwise it's cheap

Stocker Steve said:
They are making a lot of farm land. Just takes a match in the forest.

Yep, D8's and trackhoes making lots of new land around here in recent years. Then bring in a tile machine and watch garbage swamp pasture turn into prime crop ground in a couple of years.

Absolutely mind boggling nuts around here. Just saw a listing today of 600 acres, square, level within a couple of degrees, been farmed longer than the 42 years I have been here, couple of tin builds of about 1500 sq. ft, a couple of small silos........$8 Mil. Kicker is that one day, in the not too distant future, the buildings will be gone and people will be out watering the grass in their front yard....I'll give it a decade and in the meantime investors will scoop it up (carpet baggers are everywhere) for resale later.

Texasmark said:
Absolutely mind boggling nuts around here. Just saw a listing today of 600 acres, square, level within a couple of degrees, been farmed longer than the 42 years I have been here, couple of tin builds of about 1500 sq. ft, a couple of small silos........$8 Mil. Kicker is that one day, in the not too distant future, the buildings will be gone and people will be out watering the grass in their front yard....I'll give it a decade and in the meantime investors will scoop it up (carpet baggers are everywhere) for resale later.

300 acres next to me for sale for only 4 million with just a normal size house and barn.

Stocker Steve said:
With $30 oil, I assume old money is driving up the price of Texas land?
Maybe folks from California has got something to do with it. They seem to be a large chunk of the land buyers around here lately.

ccr said:
Stocker Steve said:
With $30 oil, I assume old money is driving up the price of Texas land?
Maybe folks from California has got something to do with it. They seem to be a large chunk of the land buyers around here lately.

I welcome them as long as they leave their bad habits (not mentionable on farm sites) back, from whence they came....aka the reason they imigrated to this great "Republic" in the first place! :welcome:

Besides being a super place to live, company relocations between Dallas an the Ok. border are in full swing due to the favorable business climate and being centrally located it's just about equal distance from Silicon Valley or Boston.

cumminspuller said:
We have a lot of industrial growth going on around my area right now. A lot of people moving in from other parts of the country and some people who were once outside the city by a couple of miles are now in the middle of it and want out. Depending on the location some bigger tracts are being cut up into 1-2 acre up to 10 acre or so tracts and selling. The bigger tracts (50+ acres) are selling if they have a house on them but seem to be taking a while. One place near me with 150 acres on the river was for sale a little over a year and it had a nice 2 story house. There is 75 acres across the hollow from me. Kind of rough but has 60 acres or so of grass on it with one old dairy barn has been for sale for going on 2 years I think. Dropped the price 2 times and still for sale. I'd love to buy it but can't swing it right now.

In checking with most of my new neighbors, they are of the same opinion. Some want out of the city because it's too crowded, others have the money, having sold their ridiculously priced priced prior residences in "high rent" locations, while others are of the ag. oriented lifestyle and want a place to run a few head of livestock.

The good ground sells the pasture ground stays for sell for a long time. Several bto's right around that hash it out on the good ground. Every few years i sneak in buy some good ground.

Bigfoot said:

What do you mean? It's not selling or people ratherly sell?

I'm Western Kentucky. 🤔🤫

If its a larger tracks, tillable, or pasture they don't come up for sale very often here. Or affordable. If its 300 acres it's over million or mill and half. And you can forgot a house. If there is a old farm house add another half million. Anybody with that kind of money most likely isn't a farmer. 🤔🤓🤧

If I had a million or 2 well nevermind yea I would buy land and cows. 😝🤑💸🐄

Latest posts