Liquid feed options

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
We have fed Anipro and Rum a Lic for the last 4 years. Anipro was a good feed and our most cost efficient option. Built a trust with them. Their billing is delayed. They made the claim they use a bitter and could control consumption between .5-1.0 lb per head per day. And it was that way until now. I finally figured out there was a change in the formulation. My cows depending on group consumed 3-5 lbs per day. I finally got to talk to the person who made the change. He said he made it because of the drought and some wanting more consumption. I was never notified of the change, the fact the limiter was removed or that the price was raised a bunch. The bill for 6 weeks was more than any whole year before. Anipro is now over $240.00 a ton more than the other we use. I was real disappointed with customer service. Was told it was a change only in this area because of the drought and there is no way to limit consumption. The fact we had been customers for 4 years didn't seem to matter.
I'm considering all options again. It is 25 miles from the house so prefer options that us to limit trips. We used tubs before we switched to liquid feed. Interested too hear what brands others use. And also what tubs do you feed? I can use the feed I use around the house but want too see if there are better options.

I find that very odd and misleading on their part. That would definitely have me very unhappy.

In my experience with liquid and tubs, if the conditions get bad enough the consumption will go up, even with a limiter. When you reach a certain point of over consumption your molasses suplement has become a main source of feed, which is uneconomical, imo.

That has always been the gamble with liquid feed. The consumption can be all over the place and by the time you realize it you have ran up a heck of a bill. I will say that I have seen much more consistent consumption of out of tubs even though they are more expensive.

I find that very odd and misleading on their part. That would definitely have me very unhappy.

In my experience with liquid and tubs, if the conditions get bad enough the consumption will go up, even with a limiter. When you reach a certain point of over consumption your molasses suplement has become a main source of feed, which is uneconomical, imo.

That has always been the gamble with liquid feed. The consumption can be all over the place and by the time you realize it you have ran up a heck of a bill. I will say that I have seen much more consistent consumption of out of tubs even though they are more expensive.
The problem with liquid feed is
A). It is VERY expensive when figured on dry matter basis and every feed should be figured on DM basis.
B.) If they over consume YOU pay for it.
C.) Phos is the limiter and we all know how expensive phosphorus is.

We would NEVER feed it.
If it contains Urea, that can and will kill horses. So be careful horses don't have access to it.
Urea was designed to be fed as a cheap source of protein in feedlots where the other feed was high energy. It takes a lot of energy to break down urea. In our cold north country, I have heard of cattle standing and shivering because they are cold. That just doesn't work.

I have a neighbor that was selling Loomix several years ago; well he tried. He was never able to get anyone around here to use it, well not enough to make a living selling it. I don't remember all of the particulars, but I am sure it was to expensive compared to buying hay. It ended up being a hard sell around here.

Before the TMR wagon I was using QLF. I really liked it. Cheaper than tubs. More consistent intake. They will let you know when they need something more. It flows better in the winter than Mix 30.

Not sure about Urea killing horses. Rumensin will kill them stone dead, but I talked to a regional QLF rep about running brood mares on pasture with my cows. He said horses cannot absorb urea. So, it will pass through. No benefit no harm. He said his horses and cattle run together and they feed QLF.

The trucks that supply the liquid feed here advertise that the tanker has two separate tanks and the driver measures the usage in the trough and then blends the sweet and bitter on delivery to adjust the useage to what is desired. I have never used their service so can't vouch for its effectiveness.

Ken

Before the TMR wagon I was using QLF. I really liked it. Cheaper than tubs. More consistent intake. They will let you know when they need something more. It flows better in the winter than Mix 30.

Not sure about Urea killing horses. Rumensin will kill them stone dead, but I talked to a regional QLF rep about running brood mares on pasture with my cows. He said horses cannot absorb urea. So, it will pass through. No benefit no harm. He said his horses and cattle run together and they feed QLF.
I know I've told this story a dozen times on here but in my younger days I went in the feed store and asked about tubs. One was an all natural that was safe for horses. The other had urea and they said it would kill horses. I took two with urea.

Several months later I went back in and said I wanted a refund for those two tubs... the horses were still alive.

Regarding horses and urea, I found the following. The reason I cautioned about feeding urea to horses is because a friend left a lick tub tank in his pasture. The horses licked the bottom of the tank (perhaps urea was concentrated there and they died.)

Wh
The problem with liquid feed is
A). It is VERY expensive when figured on dry matter basis and every feed should be figured on DM basis.
B.) If they over consume YOU pay for it.
C.) Phos is the limiter and we all know how expensive phosphorus is.

We would NEVER feed it.
If it contains Urea, that can and will kill horses. So be careful horses don't have access to it.
Urea was designed to be fed as a cheap source of protein in feedlots where the other feed was high energy. It takes a lot of energy to break down urea. In our cold north country, I have heard of cattle standing and shivering because they are cold. That just doesn't work.
y do you figure it on a dry matter basis?? You're supplier doesn't sell it to you that way.

Wh

y do you figure it on a dry matter basis?? You're supplier doesn't sell it to you that way.
Moisture doesn't have any nutritional value. So take the moisture out to calculate the crude protein that you are buying. Of course he doesn't sell it that way. It would be counterproductive.

Many years ago, hubby was a nutritionist. They had lick tanks available. He never advised it other than in certain situations. I don't remember the specifics, but he always said it was over-priced for convenience. He did recommend protein tubs for drought hay or pastures.
A lot has changes in a few years. That convenience is looking cheaper and cheaper with today's equipment, fuel, and labor costs.

Moisture doesn't have any nutritional value. So take the moisture out to calculate the crude protein that you are buying. Of course he doesn't sell it that way. It would be counterproductive.
No but crude protein is calculated and disclosed to the buyer "as fed" not with all the moisture removed.

Liquid feed seems to be the most economical option versus tubs, but what about on a small operation of less than 8 cows? Would liquid still make sense or would any savings be negligible? Does the liquid feed go bad or degrade over time?

For now we will use Rum a Lic while we continue too research our options. Imagine we will try some QLF protein tubs in a few pastures. The man responsible for the formula change said they would likely go back to the old formula at some point. There are no Mix 30 dealers in this area. We are limited on liquid feed options. Due to the distance from the house to some pastures we prefer options where we can limit trips during decent weather. We have excess grass in some pastures. As soon as the cotton is stripped and bales hauled we will graze the cotton fields. Our cows do good on them and consume very little liquid feed while on them. Also graze our alfalfa field. The QLF tub I plan to try has Availa 4.