Logging on grandmas 40

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
0BBCE637-1ABF-4C03-8ED3-AB3B481EFDF4.jpeg40807E72-EF74-49CF-BB8B-87BF0DEA2C61.jpegA896F1E4-E5A7-448F-BE69-9B8355F62F68.jpeg4FD39510-422C-413C-AAB1-0D82188CF14B.jpeg4234B48D-AA19-483D-9EF1-EC9C96DFC207.jpegC549770D-AEEA-4E0A-B6C7-8EC6EC2679A4.jpeg
The title is kind of a logging joke in this area. Back before the bottoms were cleared and farmed many if not most loggers had a bad reputation. They would get a lease and ignore any boundaries, just cut as far as they could get within reason from the original. If they ever got caught the old excuse was " I thought I was on grandma's 40."

The wife and I bought my grandma's south 40 from my cousin last year. The white oak is dying out around here, so we decided to have it logged out. Fortunately we have a friend in the business who owns a 20 next to us, he got right on it. These white oak logs will go to a stave mill in Tennessee. The red and black oak and hickory will probably be used for crane mats. We'll leave most everything under 20" unless it's dying or has a problem.

I hate to see it go but it was time.

That is some good-looking timber. How old are the logs in that first picture?
It's hard to count those rings in the core, but based on diameter at least 200 years.

The loggers 20 east of us doesn't have the disease in the white oaks as bad, the leaves look much healthier. His was selectively logged maybe 20 years ago. I wonder if better air movement through a thinner stand is the reason why.

I actually have not read about that being possible but not a lot is known about oak decline. 200 years may seem old to us but to a white oak it isnt. But drought or some other condition seem to trigger it.
If the 20 acres were properly thinned it could be a healthier stand. But thinning to most loggers is taking the best or the highest priced logs and leaving the rest.

Last edited:
View attachment 30915View attachment 30916View attachment 30917View attachment 30918View attachment 30919View attachment 30920
The title is kind of a logging joke in this area. Back before the bottoms were cleared and farmed many if not most loggers had a bad reputation. They would get a lease and ignore any boundaries, just cut as far as they could get within reason from the original. If they ever got caught the old excuse was " I thought I was on grandma's 40."

The wife and I bought my grandma's south 40 from my cousin last year. The white oak is dying out around here, so we decided to have it logged out. Fortunately we have a friend in the business who owns a 20 next to us, he got right on it. These white oak logs will go to a stave mill in Tennessee. The red and black oak and hickory will probably be used for crane mats. We'll leave most everything under 20" unless it's dying or has a problem.

I hate to see it go but it was time.
Do you know if the Stave mill is in Morristown TN? I have a friend that buys white oak for that mill. He travels all over the east buying. Usually flies a small plane and lands at the nearest airport.

Do you know if the Stave mill is in Morristown TN? I have a friend that buys white oak for that mill. He travels all over the east buying. Usually flies a small plane and lands at the nearest airport.
I'm thinking he said it was in Western Tennessee but I'm not sure. I'll find out.

I don't know much about them but Independent Stave Company is located in Morehead KY. That is where folks around here take their white oak.

JMO

You'd be amazed at how young a mazzive red oak is, they grow fast. A very large one can be as young as 70. We logged up one that fell and was down for 5 years. There were no limbs under 35 ft, it was massive. We were shocked to find out it was only 70 yr old..

I don't know much about them but Independent Stave Company is located in Morehead KY. That is where folks around here take their white oak.

JMO
Good company also. Hard to believe how many white oak logs are being sawn for whiskey barrels now. 1 quote for a barrel company in KY is 600 barrels a day.

Last edited:
Good company also. Hard to believe how many white oak logs are being sawn gor whiskey barrels now. 1 quote for a barrel company in KY is 600 barrels a day.
When I was told last winter that the white oak was going for cooperage, I couldn't hardly believe it, but apparently the stave mills are paying big money to get it.

Hard to find a logger worth a darn. We wanted to get select cut so we had ext office come out and gave us an estimate for value by species.
Offers were either to clear cut or was a Low ball, like a thief.

Latest posts