Long haul truckers future looks dim..........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Self-driving truck completes 2,400 miles across-U.S. trip. In the near future computers, drones and robots will take about 40% of our jobs, predicted.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/embark-a ... 32069.html

e551bee847b0697f743134c9d0bc4751

Vast majority of service jobs will be eliminated. The discussion around a basic living income will slowly become more common - a government salary just for living and consuming, not actually producing anything. There has been pilot projects in this province already with it.

haase":1ibhupux said:
Let's see how many people get on a airplane without a pilot.
We are a lot closer to that already being the case than most air travelers realize and I'm not talking about autopilot at cruising altitude. About the only part of a landing the autoland computers don't do, is apply reverse thrust, and taxing off the runway to the taxiway and gate.

haase":gc1gsx1d said:
I'd get on a plane without a pilot LONG before I got in a truck with no driver! At least a plane is way up away from stuff most of the time

Automation with rapid technology advancements is the immediate future. It IS happening and improving daily. With the rapid rate that technology advances, It is inevitable, and much sooner than many are willing to accept. The question i have: what will a significant portion of the population do for employment in the near future? Very few areas of the employment sector are left uneffected by these advancements.

ez14.":305tajfc said:
haase":305tajfc said:
I'd get on a plane without a pilot LONG before I got in a truck with no driver! At least a plane is way up away from stuff most of the time
The air is your friend...the ground is not. Hardest part about landing is to get the thing to stop flying.

haase":id1x8zhr said:

You ever seen how many pilots are drunk and flying? People still climb aboard everyday I'd rather take chances with a auto plane vs potential drunk pilot

greybeard":3dng60kd said:
Service industry bball..especially healthcare and mining.

Healthcare is quickly being taken over by "telemedicine" in lieu of primary care and psych care; robots performing surgery; and diagnosis-by-algorithm. Hi-tech hospital beds now have the ability to help prevent bedsores by inflating, deflating, turning etc; last time a family member was in the hospital, the nurses hardly came in to fluff pillows or help turn him (he could control most of it himself).

I'd say janitors will be the last thing left, but those roombas are coming along well....

Automation is creating automation at this point... the problem is that it's putting people out of work, and that's not a small one either.. first there's the immediate problem that they're going to be on EI, welfare, or whatever, secondly is they no longer pay taxes, and lastly, is that the cost savings of the company using automation is not really passed on to the consumer, but the liabilities and consequences certainly are!
I resist using automated checkouts, etc whenever I can.. I still walk into the bank once in a while, etc.

Ever fly on Frontier Airlines? No frills, every seat's the same. No crappy movies to look at. I sat about 10 feet behind the pilot. Danged if he couldn't fly that thing though. Got from Phoenix to Atlanta in 3 hours.

bball":14ds7frd said:
Automation with rapid technology advancements is the immediate future. It IS happening and improving daily. With the rapid rate that technology advances, It is inevitable, and much sooner than many are willing to accept. The question i have: what will a significant portion of the population do for employment in the near future? Very few areas of the employment sector are left uneffected by these advancements.

I see the AI articles too, but around here there are help wanted signs. I think the bigger issue is are these not high tech jobs paying a living wage?

Stocker Steve":23q8u6qa said:
bball":23q8u6qa said:

I see the AI articles too, but around here there are help wanted signs. I think the bigger issue is are these not high tech jobs paying a living wage?

Steve, this is exactly what i was driving at. How exactly will a good portion of our population support themselves as jobs disappear to automation and technology improvements, and many of the jobs that do remain, may not command a wage to support a family(without getting into a debate about quality of life; needs vs. wants).
I think some trades will continue to do well and a quality tradesman will be in demand as usual. Some days i feel like the whole world is turning into nothing but IF, THEN, ELSE statements, or just a series of 1's and 0's...

bball":34a8rn6j said:
Stocker Steve":34a8rn6j said:
bball":34a8rn6j said:

Steve, this is exactly what i was driving at. How exactly will a good portion of our population support themselves as jobs disappear to automation and technology improvements, and many of the jobs that do remain, may not command a wage to support a family(without getting into a debate about quality of life; needs vs. wants).
I think some trades will continue to do well and a quality tradesman will be in demand as usual. Some days i feel like the whole world is turning into nothing but IF, THEN, ELSE statements, or just a series of 1's and 0's...
There's not a problem in the world that population control can't fix. Just no money in that kind of thinking, we're going breed our way into poverty and possibly extinction.

greybeard":5qmieaf9 said:
Service industry bball..especially healthcare and mining.

And fencing. Every good fencer I know is months behind. Some are more than a year out. There will always be some jobs that will take manual labor, and that's where guys as dumb as me come in. ;-)