looking for Gelbvieh in NY

Help Support CattleToday:

nagwag

Reaction score
I have a couple of neighbors looking for Gelbvieh. One wants a bull, the other is looking for some cows / heifers. Anyone know someone that breeds them? I'm Simmental & Angus. Located in Steuben county. Even northern PA would be ok. Thanks.

Get another roll or two of barbwire while you're at it so you can make the fence higher......

The gentle breathe of G-d doth make the aspen quake and stir the water upon the lake.
Your propensity for rancor and my experience is unrefuteable acknowledgement of the veracity of the statement.

I don't know how they are NOW. But, when Simmental Assn. was started, they chose the different "strains" of Simmental (Like Fleckvieh) to be added into the data base. They refused to allow the GV into the association because of temperament. I would "assume" they have worked on that problem. I just don't get any exposure to any.

The Gelbviehs did well for us, don't have nothing bad to say about them. Matter of fact I liked the gelbvieh - simmental crossed calves as well as our gelbvieh - red poll calves. Limousin has been the worse disposition cattle here. But every breed has them. I'd contact the American Gelbvieh Association. David Slaughters with Slaughter Sale Management might could hook you up with a breeder up there. 270-556-4259

My seven Gelbvieh cows are the quietest in my herd. I pulled a calf from one in the middle of a pasture. I know it's a small sample size but the craziest I've seen in alberta is Limo and Saler.

We purchased our first Gelbviehs in 1996 and have had them ever since. As others have commented, there are flighty cattle in every breed, including Gelbvieh. However, overall our experience with them is that they are quiet cattle. I have heard several times that Gelbvieh have been known as an "old man's breed" due to their quiet nature. When we are working cattle, we frequently have to twist tails, and push our Gelbviehs to get them to move through the alley and into the chute (sometimes wish they had a little more fire in them just to get them to move easier :)

We just released semen on this bull in the US, unfortunately he sold out in less than 24 hours.
If you go to the membership directory at gelbvieh.org and find a breeder closer to you.
Check our DV auctions, lots of really good GV bull sales at this time.
Resized_Screen_Shot_2020-11-28_at_11.50.17_AM_22122102027133.jpeg

I have a couple of neighbors looking for Gelbvieh. One wants a bull, the other is looking for some cows / heifers. Anyone know someone that breeds them? I'm Simmental & Angus. Located in Steuben county. Even northern PA would be ok. Thanks.
If you're on facebook, try the Gelbvieh group https://www.facebook.com/groups/Gelbviehsell

I've found my Gelbvieh to be the most reliably docile breed yet.. I found my limos would spook, or they'd hate you for a month if you did so much as scold them
Where you get them from is evidently going to be a big factor, my local GV breeder manages their herd like I do, when I went to buy my heifer calf from them I had to tail their cows to get them to move.. If you want a breed that's hard on fences, get an angus, Salers aren't hard on fences, they clear them just fine

Here's that calf I bought, now 3 years old
View attachment 2152

Like mother, like daughter
View attachment 2153

Pic of the place I got them from, all the bulls wanted some attention
View attachment 2154

The boy that came home with me
View attachment 2155

Not sure why the pics don't work

Latest posts