Math Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
In a 3ft by 3ft square how many gallons of water do I need to equal a 1 inch rain?

Extra points if you know what I'm trying to solve. :)

Thanks in advance

Kingfisher said:
That's not how this is supposed to work you two bull dogs. That's not how this works :)

What am I doing?
Apparently trying to put 54 gallons of water on something. Other than that I am as confused as hungry baby in topless bar.
Don't answer Kingfisher someone will figure it out.

Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:
5.61 gallons.

I didn't use that fine a pencil rounded off some on the acre at 44k square feet and got 6 gallons.

It's not an acre.......it's a 3ft by 3ft TEST PLOT. Sorry for the confusion. For what it's worth 54 gallons won't dent an acre here

http://convert-to.com/conversion/water-weight-volume/convert-yd3-of-water-volume-to-us-gal-of-water-volume.html

Call me fence is right far as I can tell

Edit: no clue what you are trying to solve

Redgully said:
I have the answer, you're trying to work out why on earth you don't have a metric system.....

it's just shy of 1m x 1m and 2.5cm deep, so a little under 25 liters.. Oh, that's about 6 gallons!

Nesikep said:
Redgully said:
I have the answer, you're trying to work out why on earth you don't have a metric system.....

it's just shy of 1m x 1m and 2.5cm deep, so a little under 25 liters.. Oh, that's about 6 gallons!
That's sort of how I worked it out Nesi. When you grow up with the imperial system and change to metric you have a pretty good knowledge of how basic lengths and volumes convert over, like 3' is 90cm, 1" is 2.5cm and 1 litre is 1000 cubic cm. Makes it all very easy.

Ken

To calculate the gallons of water on a given area it is square feet times dept of water in inches times 0.62.

9 square feet X 1 inch X 0.62 = 5.58 gallons

There are 0.00433 gallons in a cubic inch.

36"x36"x1"= 1296 cubic inches

1296 cubic inches x 0.00433 gallons/cubic inch = 5.61 gallons

Latest posts