Might be looking to move

Help Support CattleToday:

If you are serious about moving to TN and finding a place Hawkins County would be my first pick. It is far enough away from any cities that the land is relatively cheap, most of the terrain is flat enough to get a tractor over a good part of the land, and it is low enough elevation to have very little winter. But you can also be above 6,000 ft in an hours drive if you want to see some snow.

As far as beauty Shady Valley in Johnson county would be my first pick, but you would get quite a bit more land for your money in Hawkins County.

hillbilly beef man":2vxw3rjc said:
If you are serious about moving to TN and finding a place Hawkins County would be my first pick. It is far enough away from any cities that the land is relatively cheap, most of the terrain is flat enough to get a tractor over a good part of the land, and it is low enough elevation to have very little winter. But you can also be above 6,000 ft in an hours drive if you want to see some snow.
The farm mentioned is in Thorn Hill between Morristown and Tazewell TN.
But they might h ave to add on to the house, it's only 8700 sq ft.

kenny thomas":1jt4l8x8 said:
hillbilly beef man":1jt4l8x8 said:
The farm mentioned is in Thorn Hill between Morristown and Tazewell TN.
But they might h ave to add on to the house, it's only 8700 sq ft.

Where is this place? I am very familiar with Thorn Hill. With a house that size, I would guess it is on the Ridge overlooking the valley?

jltrent":mobtcgrn said:
jd720":mobtcgrn said:
There`s still plenty of places in Tennessee that can be bought reasonably just not in our area. For anything in Middle Tennessee I would look on realtracs.com that`s how we found our place It will let you search by minimum acres. Anything in the counties around Nashville has gotten priced unreasonable though.

In East Tennessee a lot of land reasonable, some of it not great land, but the Yankees moving in around here are driving the price up some.
They are exactly what's wrong with Florida, they move somewhere to make a change in their life ,then changed Florida to what they wanted

hillbilly beef man":3qqzydlf said:

As far as beauty Shady Valley in Johnson county would be my first pick, but you would get quite a bit more land for your money in Hawkins County.

Hamblen, Hawkins, Grainger, and Greene are all good places and in the same area. If you get into Claiborne and Hancock it gets more mountainous.

The farm I posted above is on the Hamblen-Hawkins line. If anyone is interested in a mini-farm, my wife has 18 1/2 acres for sale in White Pine. It is flat land that has a creek. There is also a farm next to it that can be bought, but I am not sure what the owner would ask for it. His dad died and he does not farm it.

sim.-ang.king":3c90lr6a said:
If you wait a year or so you could move to the new 51st state. Doubt there will be one IL for long.

The same thing has been said about Washington and Oregon for years. There are huge differences between the urban west side and rural east sides of both states. But to this point it is just talk. There is also a movement to split California into three states.
Hook, if you are wanting to move I would say find a location you want to live in and do it. I did it. It was nearly a 2 year process. I wish I had done it 40 years ago.

Hook2.0":1xfgfyxb said:
I could, but I'm not. In the process of listing my places here and looking for new.
Didn't you use to live in Arizona? I'd move back there, to the high country.

Ky hills":1f6a21b2 said:
KY and TN both have some land that would fit that bill. W VA is a pretty scenic state and similar but parts of it seem to have more snow than I want to deal with. I reckon we all sometimes get a hankering for being in another place. About this time of year ever year until summer I wished that my ancestors had of been smart enough to went farther south. I've always thought about if I ever can retire from farming that I'd go somewhere at least to central FL, maybe as far as southwest FL, outside of but around FT. Myers, Naples area. Kind of like the idea of a little house or double wide close to a good fishing lake. Might even dream big and have a few acres and a few head of Brahmans. My wife's family mostly lives in and around southeast OK, I have even thought about that area as a possibility, still could be a little snow or ice but from what I hear it don't last near as long.

I am in Labelle Florida and I can tell you I love it. Yes it gets very hot in the summer. Yes, there are a lot of bugs in the summer. From October to April, it is like living in heaven. And contrary to what cowman thinks, it is not the place to come die. It is the place to put down some roots and enjoy nature.

Florida would be a good place to live if it weren't for the fact more yankees live there than the rest of the country combined.

Hook2.0":37tc9bn4 said:
I like Florida don't get me wrong. It's just time to move on to new experiences. Kids are grown. Business is all but sold at what I think is a peak, real estate here is peaking, and we're young enough to go out and enjoy life still. Who knows what we will want in the next 20 years, but I'm all about new experiences
Florida is full of opportunities for making money. I'm not so sure about leaving and still having to make a living. Just don't get stretched and you'll be alright. I just don't see the opportunity to make money in the country when your the new guy. There's a big difference between making money and making a living.

ga.prime":1oflptlw said:
Florida would be a good place to live if it weren't for the fact more yankees live there than the rest of the country combined.
My state is fast catching up to be in the same boat Fla is in and getting lots from Colorado and 'farther West' as well..

Turkeybird":2wutygzc said:
jltrent":2wutygzc said:
jd720":2wutygzc said:
There`s still plenty of places in Tennessee that can be bought reasonably just not in our area. For anything in Middle Tennessee I would look on realtracs.com that`s how we found our place It will let you search by minimum acres. Anything in the counties around Nashville has gotten priced unreasonable though.

In East Tennessee a lot of land reasonable, some of it not great land, but the Yankees moving in around here are driving the price up some.
They are exactly what's wrong with Florida, they move somewhere to make a change in their life ,then changed Florida to what they wanted

Same thing here in Va. Yep, I'm a Yankee. But I moved here because I liked the way it was here and DID NOT WANT it to be like where I came from in Ct. Now so many move here, and want to make it like where they were from. We tell them to go back the he// where they came from and leave things the way we like them. Unfortunately, Va has way too many of the transplants, and we are only a few hours from the "cess pool" in DC so.....

greybeard":tssnapq1 said:
ga.prime":tssnapq1 said:
My state is fast catching up to be in the same boat Fla is in and getting lots from Colorado and 'farther West' as well..
last time I was in Texas, to pick up a couple horses..seem very few folks I met that were actually from there.. It was Just when I first crossed over into east Texas..that most were locals and really friendly ..really liked that area..and the landscape looked more like here..

farmerjan":2jmpkhem said:
Turkeybird":2jmpkhem said:
jltrent":2jmpkhem said:

Same thing here in Va. Yep, I'm a Yankee. But I moved here because I liked the way it was here and DID NOT WANT it to be like where I came from in Ct. Now so many move here, and want to make it like where they were from. We tell them to go back the he// where they came from and leave things the way we like them. Unfortunately, Va has way too many of the transplants, and we are only a few hours from the "cess pool" in DC so.....
it ain't all Yankees that want to change things ..we got a continual flow of idiots... of the southern persuasion too..

ALACOWMAN":w2t3qvhe said:
greybeard":w2t3qvhe said:
ga.prime":w2t3qvhe said:
last time I was in Texas, to pick up a couple horses..seem very few folks I met that were actually from there.. It was Just when I first crossed over into east Texas..that most were locals and really friendly ..really liked that area..and the landscape looked more like here..
They probably accepted your southern accent, noticed you had all or most of your teeth and were anxious to marry off their sister to a rich Southern gentleman.
It's pretty much believed, that most folks originally from here in this county and farther East in Texas, well, just one way to say it.... those people's family tree is a pine. No forks.

Latest posts