Mineral oil vs diesel for rub

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I just bought a gal of Permictrin CDS to use as a backrub insecticide at my minerial feeders. I will have the faceflips hanging from the main rub in an attempt to control face flies. The mfgr recommends mineral oil rather than diesel fuel as the carrier liquid. Given the cost of mineral oil (~$10/gal), what are the reasons to use it rather than diesel (<$2/gal)? My older insecticides all recommended mixing with diesel - I haven't used much of them in the past few yrs as the fly tags have worked well on horn flies but not so well on face flies - I am detemined to control pinkeye this season!?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing it's an environmental issue! You know all those tree huggers don't want all that nasty diesel fuel contaminating their steaks! :cboy:

TheBullLady":42nutdgv said:
I'm guessing it's an environmental issue! You know all those tree huggers don't want all that nasty diesel fuel contaminating their steaks! :cboy:

There is also a push to keep the diesel from getting into the ground water. It ain't like your gonna be soaking the ground with diesel or anything. I bet were fixin to see more and more pressure not 2 use diesel or waste oil. I have poured waste oil on the floor of wooden trailers for years to slow down the rotting process.

Farminlund":ubxpgvzt said:
Sounds logical - is anyone then using mineral oil rather than diesel?
Probably a few here on the boards are that have Brahman Cattle,or Brahman X's due to their pores. Few are probably using Mineral oil, just a Backrubber Concentrate Pesticide, diluted with water.

Crowderfarms":3sm2y54w said:
jerry27150":3sm2y54w said:
mixing aureomycin in with your minerals will help with the pinkeye

And CTC (Chloratetracycline)

Mixing CTC 4G crumbles since the second week of May! My first case last yr was 5/25 - just finished checking the herds - no pinkeye, just a case of hoof rot - darn! But the roof rot is out of another herd that using fly stop blocks (IGR), so no CTC for them for the last couple of weeks now.

I use mineral oil on mine but only because I get it free. Personally I think deisel works better. I think it keeps a few off on its own. As for the Permectrin, it in my openion is about like using ice tea. Just doesn't work for any period of time. I spray mine and using permectrin you almost have to spray everyday.

We have a pinkeye salt mix you can buy at the Co-op. We used it for years before they decided to cash in on it themselves.

100 lbs Trace mineral salt
15 lbs vitamin A 30
50lbs Aureomycin crumbles

It's very rare to have pinkeye or foot rot if you feed it. The salt will limit the intake of aureo if you worry about that.

ctlbaron":37acfh7x said:
I use mineral oil on mine but only because I get it free. Personally I think deisel works better. I think it keeps a few off on its own. As for the Permectrin, it in my openion is about like using ice tea. Just doesn't work for any period of time. I spray mine and using permectrin you almost have to spray everyday.

We have a pinkeye salt mix you can buy at the Co-op. We used it for years before they decided to cash in on it themselves.

15 lbs vitamin A 30

It's very rare to have pinkeye or foot rot if you feed it. The salt will limit the intake of aureo if you worry about that.
Permethin if less than 40 percent might as well have Lemon and Sugar added with it. The 40 works pretty good.

Crowderfarms":314r3sn3 said:
ctlbaron":314r3sn3 said:

15 lbs vitamin A 30

Permethin if less than 40 percent might as well have Lemon and Sugar added with it. The 40 works pretty good.

Thanks for the inputs.

If in the mineral feeder, it's my hope that this will be like a daily application.

As far as concentrations are concerned, if I follow directions & mix 2.1 oz/gal it will be far from any 40% solution, as it starts out from the bottle at 7.4% permethrin & 7.4% piperonyl butoxide. Do you mix it differently for use on the face flip rub? In Jeffers the highest concentration appears to be 10% (Brute Pour-on which is only permethrin). Where does one buy a higher concentration or can the same result be achieved by mixing more of the 7/4/7.4% solution with diesel fuel?

Farminlund":13m9f10f said:
Crowderfarms":13m9f10f said:
ctlbaron":13m9f10f said:

15 lbs vitamin A 30

Thanks for the inputs.

If in the mineral feeder, it's my hope that this will be like a daily application.

As far as concentrations are concerned, if I follow directions & mix 2.1 oz/gal it will be far from any 40% solution, as it starts out from the bottle at 7.4% permethrin & 7.4% piperonyl butoxide. Do you mix it differently for use on the face flip rub? In Jeffers the highest concentration appears to be 10% (Brute Pour-on which is only permethrin). Where does one buy a higher concentration or can the same result be achieved by mixing more of the 7/4/7.4% solution with diesel fuel?
If you use 40% Permethrin, the ratio with diesel fuel is: 4oz. of Permethrin 40 to 10 Gallons of Diesel.If you can locate a brand called Gard Star, I've used it with very good results.

If you can get mineral oil cheap by all means keep using it. In the past I have even mixed used motor oil in with the diesel to thicken it up a little.

In my area alot of people have used Hi Magnisuim salt way into the season. I can't remember the Vitamin A content but it is way up there. The vitamin A works as a good preventative for pink eye.

ctlbaron":268jsug6 said:

15 lbs vitamin A 30

I still dust my cattle with a light coat of powdered sevin... lightly and sparingly is the word.

as far as the price difference between diesel oil and mineral oil, I am afraid the price gap is closing rather way to rapidly. Yikes!

Fuel going back up around here this week. :(

Latest posts