Minor Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd hobble the cow for a few days. Wouldn't worry about electrolytes unless there is a serious problem and he's gone off of food.
Used to use kaopectate for humans if they were a little runny but otherwise fine, was told they don't make that anymore. =(
If the cow has enough milk I would really concentrate on getting her straightened out with the kicking, no need to pour money into the calf when you have the perfect feed source (momma) right there.
Don't stress too much about the scours unless he is visibly ill.
Thanks! I do worry about her milk supply though. She really doesn't have much of a bag at all. And I'm not entirely sure if that's because she's just doesn't have much milk or he's able to get a little nursing here and there. He's always super vigorous when I go to feed him a bottle and even after he goes to nurse while I feed mama and she kicks and kicks him away. Ugh!

Yup. Put a set of hobbles on the old biddy and plan on a week or two with them on. Have done a couple over the years grafting older, aggressive calves on and hobbles was about all I had to do so long as they were in a big enough pen the cow couldn't ram the calf into a corner. They would give up after about a week and be broke to nurse.
Great advice thank you! She's been an old bitty that's for sure.

Thanks! I do worry about her milk supply though. She really doesn't have much of a bag at all. And I'm not entirely sure if that's because she's just doesn't have much milk or he's able to get a little nursing here and there. He's always super vigorous when I go to feed him a bottle and even after he goes to nurse while I feed mama and she kicks and kicks him away. Ugh!
You could try for a few days and see what happens. He is not going to starve if you leave the bottle out for a few days and keep the cow in hobbles. Maybe they'll straighten out, maybe you end up feeding again. It's always worth a shot. =)

Yes they can get up and down. Many dairy cows that calve and then "split" on the concrete get hobbles and they will leave them on for weeks if necessary so they don't split again. Often new heifers that panic on the concrete in the parlor, and some older cows that have problems, or even some milk fever ones, will be weak and their legs will do a split and so the farmers will often hobble them, and then get them in a pen or lot that is dirt so they don't slide on the concrete until they get their muscles/ligs/tendons stronger. I know a couple places that their cows will have hobbles for a few months.... and one has a cow that is a WITCH in the parlor ans she has a permanent set of hobbles.... I'd sell her but she is one of the highest producers and I get it from his view point....

Yes they can get up and down. Many dairy cows that calve and then "split" on the concrete get hobbles and they will leave them on for weeks if necessary so they don't split again. Often new heifers that panic on the concrete in the parlor, and some older cows that have problems, or even some milk fever ones, will be weak and their legs will do a split and so the farmers will often hobble them, and then get them in a pen or lot that is dirt so they don't slide on the concrete until they get their muscles/ligs/tendons stronger. I know a couple places that their cows will have hobbles for a few months.... and one has a cow that is a WITCH in the parlor ans she has a permanent set of hobbles.... I'd sell her but she is one of the highest producers and I get it from his view point....
What sort of length do they have the hobbles in this situation Jan?

Ken

Most hobbles that I have seen are pretty standard like @sunnyblueskies said... I am thinking they are2- 2&1/2 to maybe 3 ft between the actual leg wrap piece???? Have one farmer that makes his own out of baling twine with a couple of wide "nylon dog collars".... and I would say that they are a good 2 ft or more between them. They want the cows to be able to walk "somewhat" normally, but not for their legs to splay out if they slip... and it keeps them together enough that when they go to push up hind legs/butt first as cow do, they pretty much work together and can't get too far apart. I will have to ask the one farmer how far apart they are . Some have the nylon leg collar and a chain between, most that use them are all nylon webbing and some have adjustable buckle for length...

Most hobbles that I have seen are pretty standard like @sunnyblueskies said... I am thinking they are2- 2&1/2 to maybe 3 ft between the actual leg wrap piece???? Have one farmer that makes his own out of baling twine with a couple of wide "nylon dog collars".... and I would say that they are a good 2 ft or more between them. They want the cows to be able to walk "somewhat" normally, but not for their legs to splay out if they slip... and it keeps them together enough that when they go to push up hind legs/butt first as cow do, they pretty much work together and can't get too far apart. I will have to ask the one farmer how far apart they are . Some have the nylon leg collar and a chain between, most that use them are all nylon webbing and some have adjustable buckle for length...
Thats why i ask about them getting up. Mine might be 15"-18" wide total. They are actually horse hobbles a farrier gave me.

I only ever had a pair of the figure 8 nylon horse hobbles that I use on a cow that needs it. Tricky getting them on, but for the week or two needed they work fine. Cow can get up and walk with tiny steps.

Yes 2' sounds close to what I would try for a start. The hobbles that I am most familiar with are horse dinner time hobbles which are leather anklets joined by a chain of rings that you can adjust the length but max length would only be about 15". I hve used them longer and just joined with some rope or twine.

Ken

Most of the commercial hobbles are just under 2 feet wide. 20-24".

Yes 2' sounds close to what I would try for a start. The hobbles that I am most familiar with are horse dinner time hobbles which are leather anklets joined by a chain of rings that you can adjust the length but max length would only be about 15". I hve used them longer and just joined with some rope or twine.

Ken
That's exactly what I have.

Looking up PBS animal health they have then at 19" and 21" lengths... a little shorter than I originally said... but I did say that I thought 2 to 2 1/2 ft....or maybe 3 ft....I think 15 " would be narrow for cattle... but they seem to work at helping the cow keep her feet under her and not go spread eagle on the concrete...

Also, the original thought was to keep the cow from kicking. It does restrict the kicking somewhat.... saw one once that tried kicking and she had enough momentum that she literally wound up on the ground... taking both out from under her... but mostly it restricts them from kicking out with those fast hard kicks.

Latest posts