My girls

Help Support CattleToday:

Everyone calved out over there except the 1 bought cow. All on the ground in TWO WEEKS this year!!!
Big Sexy was a STUD. Gonna miss that bull dearly.

Lost one calf to coyotes/birds whatever. That hurts! Couldn't find a calf to graft on in a timely manner. I'll probly sell the cow in a few weeks. Ain't decided yet.

I didn't get any pics of Texas' bull calf. Got him tagged and banded tonight tho. And another heifer tagged.

Last edited:
And she probably didn't learn her lesson!
Yeah idk. I got her caught and her baby too. The pen is shorter than the fence by a bit.
She stayed in it all day while I finished things up.
At the neighbors place for now.
Going to put hotwire around top all the way around. And flag it!, before I give her one more chance.

The second cow, bought cow, hasn't tried it since I raised all the fence up

This is what we have reduced to. The reason for buying a boring ol black bull. The fence jumpers went to sale. Sally lost her calf and sold too. The big eared cows calf disappeared. Everything brought really good money.
So I've got Milkshake, Dapples, Bessie, Rocket and Seven. Seven is left of pic, eating with Dapples 2 big calves. Everyone is in fine shape and primed for breeding to my new boring ol black bull, PeeWee. 😆
Really like the brindles...
20240518_111333.jpg
Edited to add..
I tried real hard to buy my neighbors 2 year old black baldy pair with a black heifer calf. The cow was ready for a bull.
I ran her all the way up to 2600
He sold another solid black pair last week same type for 2550
Those 2 pair would've been real keepers. Calved unassisted. Weighed 1170 and 1055 per pair. They were super slick.
It's a sellers market for sure!

Last edited:
Everyone calved out over there except the 1 bought cow. All on the ground in TWO WEEKS this year!!!
Big Sexy was a STUD. Gonna miss that bull dearly.

Lost one calf to coyotes/birds whatever. That hurts! Couldn't find a calf to graft on in a timely manner. I'll probly sell the cow in a few weeks. Ain't decided yet.

I didn't get any pics of Texas' bull calf. Got him tagged and banded tonight tho. And another heifer tagged.
Murray, was the dead calf alive when it was born? Do you know for sure that an animal killed it? Was there evidence that "coyotes/birds whatever" killed the calf? It is not nice to wildlife to blame them if they weren't actually to blame. Check out the scientific review on my website (www.judyhoy.com) that my colleagues and I just had published in the prestigious scientific journal, Chemosphere. The wolves in the Yellowstone ecosystem were blamed for killing 5000 elk before the first 14 wolves were released from the pen and then kept being blamed for the elk declines. Humans were to blame for the elk and other wild ruminant declines, not the wolves.

Murray, was the dead calf alive when it was born? Do you know for sure that an animal killed it? Was there evidence that "coyotes/birds whatever" killed the calf? It is not nice to wildlife to blame them if they weren't actually to blame. Check out the scientific review on my website (www.judyhoy.com) that my colleagues and I just had published in the prestigious scientific journal, Chemosphere. The wolves in the Yellowstone ecosystem were blamed for killing 5000 elk before the first 14 wolves were released from the pen and then kept being blamed for the elk declines. Humans were to blame for the elk and other wild ruminant declines, not the wolves.
Cool website, Judy. When I was in college (I majored in Fish & Wildlife Biology) I was involved with some studies conducted by the school regarding declining rabbit and quail populations in Ga. The popular belief by the public was that it was cased by the predators they had evolved with and lived and thrived with for 100,000 years before Ga was settled: Bobcat, fox, birds of prey, etc. And secondary was coons and possums eating eggs and the young, and fire ants. And the new-to-Ga, at that time ,( early to mid 70's) coyotes. And feral hogs. What the study revealed, of course, was that loss of habitat was the number one factor in the decline. And the number one predator? Actually there are two: Feral dogs and cats. I have never seen coyotes kill a healthy calf or seen evidence of it. They will eat dead ones, and sometimes they may start in on downed one a few minutes before it would have drawn its last breath. But, I have seen cattle killed, or maimed, by roaming packs of feral dogs.

Calf was 2 or 3 months old at the time of disappearance.
No evidence of anything. Just gone

Calf was 2 or 3 months old at the time of disappearance.
No evidence of anything. Just gone
Mountain lions? They're around here so I suspect you have them as well. They'll either bury their kill or hide it in a tree. Seriously, look up. Game Warden & DNR told that to a guy that lives about 10 miles south of us because he was losing calves, and he did find one in a tree.

Sounds more like rustlers to me. Never seen a coyote that could eat hjde, bones, skull, hooves etc. If not rustlers, then alien abduction?!!
That would've been one of the LAST calves anyone would've wanted to steal over there! 😆
Mountain lions? They're around here so I suspect you have them as well. They'll either bury their kill or hide it in a tree. Seriously, look up. Game Warden & DNR told that to a guy that lives about 10 miles south of us because he was losing calves, and he did find one in a tree.
The thought occurred to me, @J Hoy may have been talking about the first calf i lost. It was definitely coyotes. That cow would let anything near her calf. I tag and band hers with her standing there watching. Never an issue. TOO gentle. Or not motherly enough I guess. I believe I posted pics of that one.

This last one I really don't have a clue. But the mountain lion thing is real. Neighbor many miles away have one on trail cams. He lost 6 or 7 calves this year. I'm NOT walking that place. 44 acres of trees, brush, bushes, poison ivy etc. A guy could spend two days walking around that mess and never see anything. Don't miss that cow. She did ok. Just would've been much better with a calf to sell this fall

But the mountain lion thing is real. Neighbor many miles away have one on trail cams. He lost 6 or 7 calves this year. I'm NOT walking that place. 44 acres of trees, brush, bushes, poison ivy etc. A guy could spend two days walking around that mess and never see anything.

I had a couple of goats on a property several miles from my house. One was missing and I walked the property and found some of the spine and a couple of ribs. I left thinking I would come back the next day and get the other goat, but the next day it was gone. Walked the property again and found the spine and part of the skull, still attached.

I had some chickens in a movable chicken tractor out there, a pickup bed trailer with a tank in it with a hose for water.

I set four traps by the chickens, attached to T-posts by the rings, and left. The next day the traps were gone and the 15 feet of hose had been bitten into about thirty pieces. No hair and no tracks in the grass, but you could tell the animal had thrashed around quite a bit until it got the trap rings over the top of the T-posts.

Pretty sure it was a lion. From what I understand they will eat bones and all until they are full.

Latest posts